Thread: Is there a Call Hierarchy tool for VB5 or VB6

Addicted Member

Is there a Call Hierarchy tool for VB5 or VB6

Over 20 years ago when I did DOS business applications using a product called Clipper, I had a tool that I could send my code to and it would catalog and print every procedure and function in the various files in the program and show what other procedures and functions they called and what procedures and functions were called by them.
    As I recall, it also printed out the names of public variables and where they were used.

A tool like this would be amazing to have right now as the program has gotten so big and so old I've forgotten what is available in it.

I see that more current versions of Visual Studio have a Call Hierarchy built in.

Thanks

Re: Is there a Call Hierarchy tool for VB5 or VB6

My first thought is this. But not sure if that's what you want or not.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

Frenzied Member

Not exactly what you want, but will work in a pinch.

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....-Addin-for-vb6

The addin will give you a quick break down of all the methods/props/vars in a selected class,
    each entry has a right click -> find references which just does a basic string search throughout the
    entire project and shows you a list of where that string appears w/ click to navigate.

it does not do a full call hierarchy but is open source and it could be added.

This plugin is one of my must haves, I have untangled some pretty complex projects with its help.
    Last edited by dz32; Jan 14th, 2021 at 09:18 PM.

PowerPoster

The extremely useful AxTools CodeSMART addin will also list everything then generate a clickable list of references to functions/APIs/variables, similar to the ClassView addin dz32 linked.