Thread: Another window doesnt popup though it should

Hyperactive Member

Another window doesnt popup though it should

Hi,
    I am facing strange issue - when another app is not running and folder exists, it does not shown another form. However, if folder does not exists and app is running, it works fine. I prior thought that timers restarting policy is the issue, but its not since it works when folder does not exists.

2nd app only creates folder and removes it every 5 seconds.
    another form is a form with close button that closes it.

Code:
    Imports System.Net
    Public Class my_program
        Public Declare Auto Function FindWindowNullClassName Lib "user32.dll" Alias "FindWindow" (ByVal lpClassName As Integer, ByVal lpWindownName As String) As Integer
        Dim Counter As Integer = 0

Private Sub mainwindow_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            If My.Computer.FileSystem.DirectoryExists("C:\directory.desc\") Then
            Else
                My.Computer.FileSystem.CreateDirectory("C:\directory.desc\")
            End If
            timer1.Interval = 15000 '15 sek
            timer1.Start()
        End Sub

Private Sub timer1_Tick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles timer1.Tick
            Dim hWnd As Integer = FindWindowNullClassName(0, "nazov.okna.este.nie.je")

If hWnd = 0 And Not My.Computer.FileSystem.DirectoryExists("C:\directory.desc\initial-check\") Then
                AnotherForm.Show()
            Else

End If
        End Sub
    I dont see the problem since theres AND in my code i.e. both conditions are handled.
    Please dont forget to add good reputation if my advices were useful for you.
    How? Under this post there is "RATE THIS POST" button. Click on it.

PowerPoster

Re: Another window doesnt popup though it should

If you want AnotherForm to show when the folder exists, why are you checking if it does
    Code:
    Not
    exist in your If statement?

Hyperactive Member

That does not matter how its written. if file exists or if not file exists

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by VB.NET Developer View Post
    That does not matter how its written. if file exists or if not file exists
    Good luck then.

No... both conditions are not handled...
    Code:
        Private Sub timer1_Tick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles timer1.Tick

If hWnd = 0 And Not My.Computer.FileSystem.DirectoryExists("C:\directory.desc\initial-check\") Then
                AnotherForm.Show()
            Else

End If
        End Sub
    That handles one case... where the hWnd is 0 (ie the app is NOT running) and where the Directory does NOT exist ... BUT ... in your start up here:
    Code:
        Private Sub mainwindow_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            If My.Computer.FileSystem.DirectoryExists("C:\directory.desc\") Then
            Else
                My.Computer.FileSystem.CreateDirectory("C:\directory.desc\")
            End If
    you forced the directory to be created... so it will always exist....
    You never handled the Else case in the Timer1_Tick event .... you have 4 possible outcomes:
    hWnd = 0 and directory exists
    hWnd = 0 and directory does not exist
    hWnd <> 0 and directory exists
    hWnd <> 0 and directory does not exist

You've only handled that second one... you haven't done anything to handle any of those other cases. But since you force the directory creation, you really only care about two outcomes:
    hWnd = 0 and directory exists
    hWnd <> 0 and directory exists
    But you've still only handled the one possibility... and it isn't one of those two...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hyperactive Member

Beware,
    Code:
    C:\directory.desc\
    its not the correct directory. The correct directory is C:\directory.desc\initial-check
    No, the directory is periodically created and removed every 3 seconds - via another app with this code:

Code:
    Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            Timer1.Interval = 3000
            Timer1.Start
        End Sub

Private Sub Timer1_Tick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
            If My.Computer.FileSystem.DirectoryExists("C:\directory.desc\initial-check\") Then
                My.Computer.FileSystem.DeleteDirectory("C:\directory.desc\initial-check", FileIO.DeleteDirectoryOption.DeleteAllContents)
            Else
                My.Computer.FileSystem.CreateDirectory("C:\directory.desc\initial-check\")
            End If
        End Sub
    The problem is, after a few seconds when folder is created and removed, AnotherForm is opened.

My current code:
    Code:
            Timer1.Interval = 15000 '15 sek
            Timer1.Start()
    End Sub

Private Sub Timer1_Tick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick

If hWnd = 1 And My.Computer.FileSystem.DirectoryExists("C:\directory.desc\initial-check\") Then

Else
                AnotherForm.Show()
            End If
    You can try these codes yourself and you will see the behavior.

Hyperactive Member

Can you help me??

PowerPoster

The whole thing seems convoluted. You have a separate application that, every 3 seconds will either create this folder if it doesn't exist, or will delete the folder if it does. So every 3 seconds it goes from existing, to non-existing, to existing, to non-existing, ...

Then, every 15 seconds, this other application displays AnotherForm if hWnd != 1 Or the directory in question doesn't exist. Because the directory in question doesn't exist half of the time, I would expect AnotherForm to be displayed every other time that 15 second timer is ran, so every 30 seconds or so (with some variance as far as how closely the two timers are aligned).

I think the help you need is only going to happen if you explain, in detail what, exactly, you are trying to accomplish with this convoluted timer and folder stuff.

As it stands, I doubt anyone has a clue what your end goal is and therefore no specific coding help can be offered.

Good luck.

Hyperactive Member

Sure. I want to detect presence of my second app both via window name AND presence of folder REPEATEDLY.

Sure. I want to detect presence of my second app both via window name AND presence of folder REPEATEDLY.
    Why? Is this a "because I can" sort of thing or are you actually trying to achieve something useful? If the latter, you should explain what that is because it's hard to imagine that there isn't a better way than what you describe.

Hyperactive Member

I already explained what it is - I want to detect presence of my second app when both conditions are true. Enough explanation?

PowerPoster

Right. And yet, your second app keeps deleting and recreating that folder REPEATEDLY. So there will continuously be times that your first app finds the second app via window name, but the folder is missing.

And there's been no logical reason given for WHY you are doing any of this with timers, window handles, and folder recreation. And because I doubt that reason is forthcoming, I'm officially done with this thread.

Good luck.

You can check for a running process like this:-
    Code:
    '
            If Process.GetProcessesByName("Notepad").Length > 0 Then
                MessageBox.Show("Notepad is running!!")
            End If
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Hyperactive Member

Sure, I know, but I solved this via window name instead of process name.

I already explained what it is
    Yes you did, but I didn't ask you "what". I asked you "why". You don't have to answer my question if you don't want to but I'm not interested in helping people to do the wrong thing so if you can't help me establish that what you want to do is the right thing, I won't be spending my time helping you to do it.

Hyperactive Member

I want to build some kind of advanced process detector.

Hyperactive Member

@jmcilhinney
    Hope that is enough explanation what I want to do. Or am I wrong?