Thread: [RESOLVED] Friend sending me his .EXE. Tries to install .NET 3.5

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Friend sending me his .EXE. Tries to install .NET 3.5

He had an old app written a few years ago. He updated his VS to 2019 and recompiled. He emailed me the .EXE from /bin/debug/. When I ran it, it says it needs to install .NET 3.5, so I declined. I am running at least .NET 4.6. Anyone know what might be going on? I told him to make a brand new project in 2019 and send me the .EXE, and am waiting to see if I get the same 3.5 dependency.

Sinecure devotee

Re: Friend sending me his .EXE. Tries to install .NET 3.5

VS 2019 isn't going to change the framework of a project automatically. The project would retain the framework it was configured for. That is why you can use VS2019 on a VS2010 project, and still use VS2010 on the same project. If the framework was forced to be updated, then the project would no longer be able to be worked on from VS2010.

They shouldn't have to do a new project. Just change the targeted framework. Even if they just targeted 4.0, the latest 4.y framework will support any lesser 4.x framework.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

Hyperactive Member

How do you change the targeted framework ?

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by RipVoidWinkle View Post
    Create new project, set the framework to version you need and then import all .vb files from your prior project.
    Please dont forget to add good reputation if my advices were useful for you.
    How? Under this post there is "RATE THIS POST" button. Click on it.

Quote Originally Posted by RipVoidWinkle View Post
    Or just go into the project properties and select the correct framework, no need to create a new project.

Quote Originally Posted by VB.NET Developer View Post
    Create new project, set the framework to version you need and then import all .vb files from your prior project.
    It's not even that complicated... open the project... open the Project Properties... change the Target Framework option.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hyperactive Member

That worked. Thanks!

Hyperactive Member

btw, if your problem is solved dont forget to mark this thread as resolved so we know that this is done.
    Please dont forget to add good reputation if my advices were useful for you.
    How? Under this post there is "RATE THIS POST" button. Click on it.