Thread: How do I communicate with a cloud based app??

Addicted Member

How do I communicate with a cloud based app??

I need some one to point me to some very basic tutorial or reference or info to get me started.
    I need to build a web app with sql (or some thing) data storage.
    I have written several web sites using HTML, JAVA and PHP with text based data storage.
    I need to be able to fire an event in that app from a LAN based program.
    The event will retrieve data and send it back
    I need to be able to fire an event in the LAN based program from the web based app.
    The event will tell the LAN based program "here is the data you asked for".
    The request and the response can be in a JSON format.

The LAN based app is written in VB5.
    I have here also Visual Studio 2005 , from which I can develop an interface between the LAN and the web if that will help.

I just need to know how to start...

Thanks

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: How do I communicate with a cloud based app??

You've posted in the wrong forum so I'm going to move your thread. Code bank is where people can submit example code rather than ask questions.

Given the broad nature of your question, there isn't really a single forum that will cover the whole thing. I'm going to go with the ASP forum given the highly "webby" nature of what you're trying to do, that seems the best place to start. I suspect that, as you dig into this, you're going to find yourself breaking this down into smaller questions which will be in several forums.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by GRichG View Post
    I need some one to point me to some very basic tutorial or reference or info to get me started.
    I need to build a web app with sql (or some thing) data storage.
    I have written several web sites using HTML, JAVA and PHP with text based data storage.
    If you have a look on this forum you should find plenty of examples of working with SQL from VB.Net, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/tro...-data-provider was one of the first hits from a simple google search that might get you started.

I need to be able to fire an event in that app from a LAN based program.
    The event will retrieve data and send it back
    I need to be able to fire an event in the LAN based program from the web based app.
    The event will tell the LAN based program "here is the data you asked for".
    The request and the response can be in a JSON format.
    If you are looking at running an app hosted in the cloud then which cloud you are using could really influence how you go about writing such an app, any details you can provide here would really help. Depending on exactly how you write the app and the cloud you are using you may or may not easily be able to communicate from the cloud to an on-premise app without configuring firewalling on both the cloud and your own systems.

The LAN based app is written in VB5.
    I have here also Visual Studio 2005 , from which I can develop an interface between the LAN and the web if that will help.

I just need to know how to start...

Thanks
    Visual Studio 2005 is getting on a bit now (in fact it went out of support almost 5 years ago), if you can move to a newer version you will probably find much better support for cloud based and web based application development. Recent versions of VS have provided a free community edition so that shouldn't require any spending either.

I honestly have no real idea how easy or otherwise getting a VB5 app to listen to the cloud based would be, it is a very long time since I have use VB5, not entirely sure how much support you are likely to get for it around here either. Given VB5 went out of support 17 years ago you might stand a better chance if you at least moved to VB6...

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/tro...-data-provider

if you can move to a newer version you will probably find much better support for cloud based and web based application development. Recent versions of VS have provided a free community edition so that shouldn't require any spending either.

I honestly have no real idea how easy or otherwise getting a VB5 app to listen to the cloud based would be, it is a very long time since I have use VB5, not entirely sure how much support you are likely to get for it around here either. Given VB5 went out of support 17 years ago you might stand a better chance if you at least moved to VB6...
    Thanks for the response. I've used MS-SQL before so I think spinning out a query in PHP or some other web-centric language will not be too bad. Looking at newer versions of Visual Studio I see that web tools seem to be built in.

My search finally turned up "sockets" as a means of communicating with the web, so I'm studying them. I did not know that a more current version of VS was available for free. I was prepared to buy one.

To get from VB5 to a web based program, I planned to build an interface. I could see that VB5 was not going to cut it. All I need to do is pass a few things to the interface and let the interface do all the heavy lifting.

I wondered why I was not getting any responses to my question, so I decided to look at it again. Then I saw that it had been moved. Hopefully I'll be able to see if someone responds from now on.

Thanks for the response. I've used MS-SQL before so I think spinning out a query in PHP or some other web-centric language will not be too bad. Looking at newer versions of Visual Studio I see that web tools seem to be built in.

My search finally turned up "sockets" as a means of communicating with the web, so I'm studying them. I did not know that a more current version of VS was available for free. I was prepared to buy one.

To get from VB5 to a web based program, I planned to build an interface. I could see that VB5 was not going to cut it. All I need to do is pass a few things to the interface and let the interface do all the heavy lifting.

I wondered why I was not getting any responses to my question, so I decided to look at it again. Then I saw that it had been moved. Hopefully I'll be able to see if someone responds from now on.
    Sockets are a pretty fundamental TCP/IP mechanism, pretty much what underlies any higher level protocol like HTTP. Again, depending on your cloud provider and how you choose to build the server side would have a big impact on the practicalities of using raw sockets. Under most cloud providers you would probably need to use a virtual machine to host the server side component as most higher level PaaS services tend to be based around more high level protocols.