Thread: mscomctl.ocx - wth????

Lively Member

Question mscomctl.ocx - wth????

i made an app, i have vb6 installed on my pc and most end users do not.. i put all my images in imageslists - of course this requires the END user to have the "mscomctl.ocx" file. i really don't think it has anything to do with images and imagelists.. but the second form that is supposed to show up after clicking a menu item doesn't show and the error appears...

so i included it.. i even put it in thier system32 AND systemwow64 folders and still get the error "339" - but the file is there in 3 places total.. they shouldn't have to "register" the .ocx file... so what gives? they should be able to run the app with no issues whatsoever! it runs properly the very first time as AVG scans the app upon first run - but after that the "339 error" comes up every time.. and it shouldn't!
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Jan 10th, 2021 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Removed profanity.

PowerPoster

Re: mscomctl.ocx - wth????

Did you try registering the ocx file?

Needing to register .ocx files isn't new or unique to Windows 10. Not that I'm defending Windows 10, I don't use it and have no plans to any time soon.

Also, I've asked this thread be moved to Application Deployment since this isn't a question about VB6 programming.

PowerPoster

This has nothing to do with Windows 10. It's almost certainly a deployment failure.

I suspect some cobbled together "installer" script is being used instead of a proper installation package. If it ever worked in the past it was probably by sheer luck.

Lively Member

Did you try registering the ocx file?
    again, i have vb6 installed INSTALLED on MY pc - so, my apps will ALWAYS work just fine and as i intend them to.. the END USER SHOULD NOT HAVE TO REGISTER THE .OCX FILE - as long as you include the .ocx file side by side with your app .exe in the same folder all "should" be good! END USERS will not know how nor want to deal with "registering" a .ocx file...

Also, I've asked this thread be moved to Application Deployment since this isn't a question about VB6 programming.
    not your business to do so, because i feel this has to do with me coding my app and what it requires!
    Last edited by Maximillion; Jan 10th, 2021 at 03:39 PM.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    This has nothing to do with Windows 10. It's almost certainly a deployment failure.

I suspect some cobbled together "installer" script is being used instead of a proper installation package. If it ever worked in the past it was probably by sheer luck.
    never had an issue with anything under windows 10... but it does have to do with MY app that I am coding! so, it has to do with vb6 and issuing out the file with MY app that i am coding to make my app work properly since i am coding it in vb6...

PowerPoster

Since this is a VB6 issue, as you say, please post the relevant code so that you can receive further assistance.

Lively Member

the "required" vb6 mscomctl.ocx file IS part of vb6... and why i put it side by side with my app as i have done with tons of other app .exe's on past windows systems.. there was NEVER an issue... now what? vb6 files now do not work on standard window's 10 pc's that don't have vb6 installed on?

it's not all about the .ocx file - is there something i can do in CODING to fix the issue???????????????
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Jan 10th, 2021 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Removed profanity.

PowerPoster

If you examine the project's .vbp file in Notepad, are there any other .ocx files listed that aren't being included in your installation?

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    If you examine the project's .vbp file in Notepad, are there any other .ocx files listed that aren't being included in your installation?
    it should tell me automatically... not just list the 1 .ocx file....

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillion View Post
    it should tell me automatically... not just list the 1 .ocx file....
    What is "it"?

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    What is "it"?
    NOT CORRECT IMAGE BUT SIMILAR: mscomctl.ocx would be the correct error name....

again, MOST users that download and/or install an app, will NOT know how to register said file/s... it's already included WITH the app's .exe file in the same folder... so is there anything in coding i can do to avoid END USER upsetness.. they downloading the app and should run it with no issues!!!!

Yeah, create an installer project. That was something that VB6 did pretty well, if I remember right, and what that does is handle any installation that the user needs. Another alternative...is so bad it's barely worth mentioning: Don't use the OCX and write your own. A third alternative is to move to .NET where you CAN just copy any dlls into the deployment directory without anything needing to be installed (though you can install, if you want to).

Also, circumventing the profanity filter is still profanity. Don't be doing that.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

I don't think anyone is taking issue with the statement that an end user won't know how to register an ocx file.

But that's why installers exist, to ensure that all of that necessary behind the scenes stuff that needs to happen happens without the end user having to do anything themselves. Click Next a few times, and the program is installed, dependencies are registered (if need be), etc.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't have Windows 10 installed to test with, so I don't know if simply placing a copy of the ocx in the same folder as the .exe file "should" work or not.

Good luck.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Yeah, create an installer project.
    i have used "SETUP2GO" in the past - i actually like the app.. would that work for widows 10 as it did for previous versions of widows? but atm, i am just running a general .exe run on other pc's without an installer in a folder on their desktops..

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Also, circumventing the profanity filter is still profanity. Don't be doing that.
    people will if they really want to make a point... just saying
    Last edited by Maximillion; Jan 10th, 2021 at 04:10 PM.

PowerPoster

Use VB6's Package and Deployment Wizard and create an installer.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    Use VB6's Package and Deployment Wizard and create an installer.
    not as custom as i want or usually have done in the past... i want to put a logo and all that like i do in "SETUP2GO" upon install...

and i noticed in the "package / support" folder" there are alot of dll's and such not mentioned in the original 339 error box... the 2 pc's issue was the same... mscomctl.ocx.. not dll's and all that... just that 1 particular file.. again, as mentioned.. i did have the file in 3 locations.. i dunno what an istaller has or does that simply me putting the file side by side with the .exe file in the same folder....

end user should be downloading 1 file and installing like any other app... this windows 10 and vb6 crap is driving me insane! they should have just stopped at XP!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Maximillion; Jan 10th, 2021 at 06:05 PM.

PowerPoster

OK, use another installer then, but that's what you need: to make an install package.

PS: I use Inno Setup.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    OK, use another installer then, but that's what you need: to make an install package.

PS: I use Inno Setup.
    yes, that is very similar to "SETUP2GO"... i have heard of it before...