Thread: Vietnamese string displays as ?

Vietnamese string displays as ?

Hi All,
    Brief Background:
    Working on a Application which is developed very long back (probably a decade). I am trying to enhance application to include Vietnamese. Current application supports many languages. In the same lines, updated Resource file to add new Vietnamese strings. Basically this strings gets replaced based on system Locale changes.
    Problem:
    Currently for other languages like Japanese, prompt properly gets displayed when system Locale is changed to Japan (in regional settings->local to Japanese).
    Similar to Japanese, I changed Locale settings to Vietnamese but the application opens properly but it displays few chars as '?'.

Tried searching in previous posts and in one of the post it is mentioned to change Font.Charset. Tried updating this as well but nothing seems working. Requesting everyone to provide your inputs to overcome this issue.

PowerPoster

Re: Vietnamese string displays as ?

Code:
    Const VIETNAMESE_CHARSET = 163
    Not sure which standard fonts support it though.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Code:
    Const VIETNAMESE_CHARSET = 163
    Not sure which standard fonts support it though.
    Hi,
    thanks for providing CHARSET. Updated Font.Charset = 163 but still seeing issue. I was unaware that Font standard needs to be updated. I have tried updating by selecting multiple fonts but getting same error. Please let me know if anyone faced similar issue what changes were made to overcome the same.

PowerPoster

You need to use a font that supports the Vietnamese charset.
    In Windows 10 I think that all the fonts must support it, but on previous Windows versions (such as XP) you'll need to install and use a proper font.

With a default font, if you test on your development PC you may experience that the Vietnamese charset is not supported (and you see ??????), but on an end user PC of Vietnamese locale they may show right.

Banned

days before I got WindowsXP I didn't use it I didn't know ...
    Also from the latest Windows7 To Windows10 is Version 20H2, you can just use the default Windows Font ... and the typing method for it to show Vietnamese is different ... you can use the Unikey percussion. of Vietnam or on the latest Windows10 also

Also to represent Vietnamese Unicode on VBA or VB6, you use the function to convert it or many other ways ...
    The example is as follows:
    Code:
    "Vi"&ChrW(7879)&"t Nam"
    Then it says Vietnamese

I wonder if I present correctly with this topic because I use Google to translate so many sentences can be misunderstood or I misunderstand the topic.
    What are you hoping for?
    Last edited by PhuongNam; Jan 11th, 2021 at 10:58 PM.