Thread: Game server - real time help. Where to start?

Game server - real time help. Where to start?

So I have built applications (generally simple, nothing too crazy) for the better part off and on of 15 years however I never dived into applications communicating over a network/internet. I recently decided I wanted to build a game but I honestly have no idea where to begin. My first thought was "Ok well I need a sever for the clients to communicate with, lets begin there"

I am expecting information passing in and out as "Player 1 is here" or "Player 2 Killed Monster", "Player 2 GiveLoot XXXX item" etc. Obviously I will move away from raw data later but for now I am just looking at the basics.

Nothing too fancy yet, I figured I would build from what I learn here however this game will likely be 2d and doesnt need anything insane. Anyone have any good starting points? For now I am just looking to get something going but I have no place to start. The interwebs is so saturated with old information I honestly just wanted to talk to someone about the proper way to begin.

Thoughts? Example of a simple real time server? I pretty much only know VB coding but if I need to deviate I may be willing. The idea is to build this server in VB and then the client can be in whatever.

Thank you for the help in advance!

Re: Game server - real time help. Where to start?

Thread is a duplicate of this thread: https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....00#post5505600
    One thread per topic, please.

Answers should be in that thread.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing