Thread: 2020 - 2021

2020 - 2021

Re: 2020 - 2021

LMAO...Now that made my night.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

The problem now is that, even if we do see a subsidence in some of the stupid b*llsh*t we've had to listen to from so many, we will now have to endure a huge ramp-up in antivaxxer b*llsh*t. How long before Trump starts retweeting antivaxxers after he is officially out of office and thinks that Biden will get credit for any reduction in COVID numbers because of vaccinations?

PowerPoster

Funny though. I'm hearing far more antivax nonsense from Biden supporters than anyone else. They also seem to have the worst mask compliance and the crappiest attitude about it. This is quite consistent and persistent.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I'm hearing far more antivax nonsense from Biden supporters than anyone else.
    I'd suggest that it's more to do with what you're listening too than what you're hearing. Al I've heard from you recently is criticism of Biden and what he stands for. Those criticisms aren't necessarily invalid but that you seem to giving Trump and Republicans a pass because you're determined to throw all your energy into criticising Biden doesn't make you appear all that objective.

I'd suggest that are two types of antivaxxers. There are those who are part of the mummy groups on Facebook and elsewhere who spread new-age woo and antivax nonsense and those types are at least as likely, if not moreso, to lean left as right. There are also the QAnon types who are significantly into conspiracy theories in general and those people are significantly more likely to lean right.
    They also seem to have the worst mask compliance and the crappiest attitude about it. This is quite consistent and persistent.
    There certainly are plenty of people who generally relatively apolitical and, certainly in America, tend to vote Democrat because the actual political centre is well into Democratic territory, who are quite blasé when it comes to COVID. I think that these people are mostly younger and generally healthy and don't see it as a threat to them personally and so aren't prepared to go out of their way to do anything to stop the spread. Of course, if the Trump administration hadn't spent so long playing the whole thing down, maybe these people would be a bit more diligent. Then we have the anti-mask-as-an-ideology faction, which is pretty much a purely right-wing phenomenon. Again, I would suggest that you're seeing what you want to se and ignoring the rest. You want to think badly of Biden so you will see whatever makes Biden look bad. I'm not in America so I'm certainly not seeing everything that goes on but I'd be interested to know exactly how you came to these conclusions, assuming that it wasn't just something you heard in a Jimmy Dore video.

PowerPoster

There has been nothing "center" let alone "left" about the Democrats since its neoliberal faction pushed to elect Ronald Reagan and then firmly embraced his policies with Bill Clinton. Tribalist voters followed blindly, and then fell in line to vote for George W. Bush and embrace the post-9/11 madness. Things just went further "right" from there under Obama.

What does Biden stand for?

Global "free" trade with its job loss and race to the bottom for wage earners. More military intervention. A policy of austerity at home. Wall Street. Peddling influence to the highest bidder. Fomenting division to defuse populist opposition. But the ultimate goal is a peculiar form of global feudalism:

John Kerry reveals Biden's devotion to radical 'Great Reset' movement

It's sad that so many don't even realize they are dancing with the Devil.

Anti-Vax is making some people a whole lot of money. As long as that's the case, it will keep on going:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...227-2/fulltext

There are plenty of other, similar discussions. People are making a lot of money out of this.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Seems that nothing tickles the TDS like Dore. Could it be his inconvenient truths?

How did a thread that started so lightheartedly become so political?
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Seems that nothing tickles the TDS like Dore. Could it be his inconvenient truths?

Made it about 2 minutes in and couldn't get any further... Literally the first thing he shows is "scientists initially estimated that 60 to 70 percent...", and then Fauci admits he has been moving the goalpost slowly up. It is almost like they've been getting more data and adjusting their information based on that.

How ridiculous is that?! A scientist getting new information and changing his viewpoint and informing others? Holy crap call the military, you have a traitor on your hands!

Dore is such a conman.. He quotes in his own video (with an edited screenshot of the article) that

He is doing so, he said, on his gut feeling that the country is finally ready to hear what he really thinks
    But they literally edited that to remove the full context. You can see in the original article here: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/24/h...ronavirus.html

that he actually said

He is doing so, he said, partly based on new science, and partly on his gut feeling that the country is finally ready to hear what he really thinks
    Even further in the article, they even quote other scientists:

Asked about Dr. Fauci’s conclusions, prominent epidemiologists said that he might be proven right. The early range of 60 to 70 percent was almost undoubtedly too low, they said, and the virus is becoming more transmissible, so it will take greater herd immunity to stop it.

When a virus becomes more transmissible it may require a higher percent of the population to get infected to achieve herd immunity? Whoa whoa whoa... conspiracy!

Dil.. you use this guy as a source of news for you? He is editing news articles to throw you his own rendition of events. Trumpists (since you like to use TDS) are trying so hard to find an enemy that they're literally attacking a guy who went with the census of the rest of the scientific community saying 60-70 percent was required for herd immunity, even though he personally thought it required more. Now that new science is coming out that seems to back up his personal view, he is coming forward with his new numbers.

How DARE he update his opinion and communicate that to others! HOW DARE HE!
    Last edited by kfcSmitty; Jan 1st, 2021 at 08:57 PM.

Let me paraphrase:
    Ooh, they don't like what I'm saying. That must mean I'm right.
    That's conspiracy theories 101. I don't necessarily have an issue with Jimmy Dore any more than plenty of other people. He's entitled to his opinion and to put it out there, just like everyone else. That said, we do have an example above of exactly why one should have an issue with him above. The reason I brought it up is because you seem to love posting videos without context and they are almost always from Jimmy Dore. It seems like you've found someone to confirm your bias and you're sticking to him. The fact that he agrees with you doesn't make what he says true when you're wrong to begin with. I see that you're in no hurry to provide anything to back up your earlier claims either.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    See post #3 above.

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    And luckily, dilettante didn't contribute to it.