Thread: C++ Redistributable

C++ Redistributable

I (or my uninstall check program - Wise Program Uninstaller.rar) inadvertantly deleted some dll's and need to fix that. The problem is with the C++ redistributable.
    It is looking, inter alia, for the file VC Runtime 140.dll
    I am on Windows 7 on a x64 PC
    Which version of the redistributable must I install?

Thanks
    PK

Sinecure devotee

Re: C++ Redistributable

I assume you didn't enter the string "VC Runtime 140.dll" in a web search at the time you asked. That seems odd.
    It has been quite a few hours at this point since you asked the question, so I have to assume you must have tried a search by now, otherwise I don't understand why not. It is usually the first thing I would do, before even asking the question, since that is normally the quickest way to get an answer, especially for a forum that isn't that active.

On a 64-bit system you may want to install both 32-bt and 64-bit versions of the redistributables.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

Thanks passel, I did do a search, but there were many conflicting tips. Most talked about installing the 2010 version. My machnie has about ten different versions installed. Some versions has a problem with vb6 and others with SSMS.
    PK

I fixed this by reinstalling .net framework 4.5
    PK

Sinecure devotee

Quote Originally Posted by Peekay View Post
    Thanks passel, I did do a search, but there were many conflicting tips. Most talked about installing the 2010 version. My machine has about ten different versions installed. Some versions has a problem with vb6 and others with SSMS.
    PK
    Interesting. I typed in the phrase and the first two hits I read mentioned VS2015, so I assumed that was the answer. But that may just be a matter of timing, that VS2015 was the most common installation at the time when the majority of people started running into the issue, i.e. building a exe with VS2015 but running it on machines that haven't been updated to that level of C++ libraries.

So, going to the support.microsoft.com site and doing a search on C++ Redistributable had this to say.

Download the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019. The following updates are the latest supported Visual C++ redistributable packages for Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019. Included is a baseline version of the Universal C Runtime see MSDN for details.

x86: vc_redist.x86.exe

x64: vc_redist.x64.exe

ARM64: vc_redist.arm64.exe

Note Visual C++ 2015, 2017 and 2019 all share the same redistributable files.

For example, installing the Visual C++ 2019 redistributable will affect programs built with Visual C++ 2015 and 2017 also. However, installing the Visual C++ 2015 redistributable will not replace the newer versions of the files installed by the Visual C++ 2017 and 2019 redistributables.

This is different from all previous Visual C++ versions, as they each had their own distinct runtime files, not shared with other versions.
    I guess I myself would download the latest to support any executables that I built using VS2015 or later. If you try to install an earlier version, it won't replace the existing later version. But, perhaps if the dll was missing, then installing the older will install the missing dll, but it will be technically out of sync with the collection as a whole.

I haven't done much C++ on Windows, so have only had to deal with installing redistributables in cases where a system wasn't configured correctly so didn't have the libraries needed for some application or plugin installed.
    I've done most of my C++ on Unix and Linux variants.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

Thanks passel,

Quite interesting comments you made.
    I deleted my version 10 in all this to and fro, but still have versions 9, 11,12 and 14 of the C++ redistributables installed and it works fine now. It seems that I deleted some dll's of the .net framework.
    I have to stay with framework 4.5 as my Autocad required that.

PK