Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't Find SQL Server-REVIVED

Re: Can't Find SQL Server-REVIVED

Is item #1 even a real possibility? After all, the issue is that A doesn't connect, but B does. If there is an IP address issue, shouldn't neither A nor B be able to connect? Also, considering that I shut everything down (including the router) and then started everything back up, wouldn't that resolve any IP issue? Or doesn't it make it very unlikely that this always ends up with A having an issue while B does not?

I don't believe a firewall issue is likely, as I see no reason why it would work fine for a few months, then fail. No changes were made, I was just working on other things. This is a very intermittent problem, but when it happens, it persists for days, apparently. I don't really have enough data to be certain.

As for #5, the services are discoverable, they just can't be connected to via A, though they can be via B.

And for #6, TCP/IP has been enabled from early on. Disabling it does stop both A and B from connecting, but enabling it doesn't fix the problem, since it has long been enabled.

I'm actually leaning towards something strange happening in hardware, but whether the culprit is the router or system A, I can't quite say. Every now and then, when I start A, it doesn't connect to the internet. Rebooting always solves this, and it only happens sporadically. Still, this suggests that there is some kind of intermittent issue between those two pieces of hardware. It seems to me that A sometimes has other issues, even more infrequently, but it's so infrequent that at the moment I can't remember what those issues are/were.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

As for #1...

If you are on a remote machine and you are trying to connect to an instance on some server and it's failing...

And you are trying this connection with SSMS.

Then you must, just to have a complete list of eliminated possibilities, see what that instance is listening on for a TCPIP port. That is done with the SQL Server surface config tool - very quick and easy. On the server the instance is running on...

Once you have a port # that it's listening on live - at that moment - check and see if appending the port to the connection attempt from SSMS works.

If it does, make the ports static, use those new static ports, and see that the problem goes away.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    As for #5, the services are discoverable
    So you have the two sqlservr.exe and the sqlbrowser.exe in the firewall exceptions already?

Btw, rebooting the machine does not renew its DHCP lease.

cheers,
    </wqw>

How about rebooting all three systems plus the router itself, all at the same time?

King of sapila

I never reboot unless the web browser is keeping a cache on you but that is not something you would do to yourself.

IPconfig /release
    IPconfig /flushdns
    IPconfig /renew

The golden rule.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    How about rebooting all three systems plus the router itself, all at the same time?
    Most DHCP servers save client leases in a file on reboot. Not sure about uDHCPd/dnsmasq on your router though.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Ah, that makes it more likely. If it is retaining state through a reboot, then that would explain why the power cycle didn't do anything.

It still seems a bit odd that B has no issues connecting to S while A does. They both go through the same router, though one is wired and the other (B) is wireless.

I hope to get back to this, sometime this week, though I've blown it for today, so I guess it will be later on this week.

Finally got back to this after all this time....and the problem went away, again.

Somehow, I doubt this is over.

King of sapila

Have you checked the timing?
    I lately had issues at the office with a reseting computer because of a faulty motherboard battery that where a little like yours.
    I'm not saying that it is likely but you can just do a quick check.
    You can also do the IPconfig thingy. If it brings back the issue then we are getting somewhere.

Do you mean checking whether the system time is correct? If so, it is, but that's an interesting idea. If you aren't referring to the system timing, then what?

King of sapila

Yeah all systems and rooter(s).
    If they are correct, you can scratch it out of your possible reasons list.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12