Thread: Database at domain hosting vs database servers....

Lively Member

Database at domain hosting vs database servers....

Hi,

I have a domain name (www.xxxx.com). This domain is being hosted by a hosting company and there is a simple static web site at this domain to show my products...

I am now trying to upgrade my web site to dynamic type. It needs to have a database and client apps etc.

My question is about database part of this process.

My account at hosting company includes a free mySQL database (with unlimited number of database basis).I can create new databases, tables etc via cPanel interface at my hosting company. My client app (written with VB .net at Windows PC) can communicate with this database, add/delete/call records by runing sql queries.

I, with a simple googling, also encounter that there are another option named "database servers" around. And this are not free.

The question is that, why do I need to use database servers instead of my own hosting company's free database option.

This type of free database option is being supplied by almost all hosting companies, sometimes at limited number sometimes at unlimited number.

Why do people need to pay extra money for database servers while there is an free option at existing hosting company?

Thank you...

Re: Database at domain hosting vs database servers....

Many reasons - a couple would be:

1) Security - separating the web server from the database server affords an additional level of security on the database itself, especially if the DB server is on an internal corporate network - you want the web server outside in the DMZ
    2) Scalability - once you get to a certain size, a database should run on a dedicated database server - all by itself, with no other databases or operating system features installed

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Fanatic Member

Databases are created on database servers. Database is data stored in memory and/or files, while the server is the software application that manages the data and provides the features that are used by developers.

Hosting providers are mostly providing access to MySQL database servers where you can create few or more databases. Why MySQL? First of all is the license that allows commercial use for free. There are other historical factors - the wide usage of the free (again for commercial use, but also as open source solution) LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) which 20 years ago was the main choice for hosting providers to provide cheap offers.

There are hosting providers where you can get Windows hosting and MSSQL server ("databases") but it is much more expensive due to licensing.

I prefer a GoDaddy server with full blown MS SQL and the ability to login to it with RDP, so I don't have to use a dashboard to manage a DB server or WEB server!

Around $500 a year, I believe - I would have to check my last bill to be sure...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

King of sapila

I'm looking for a host so saw GoDaddy but I read for the best windows plan:

Unlimited MySQL databases (1GB each)
    Unlimited MSSQL databases (200MB each)

Isn't there a better SQL storage plan? 200mb per database?
    And if not I guess that explain why people might choose MySql instead of MSSQL.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

I wonder if you were to install MS SQL Express how they would limit you to under the 10 GB limit that Express has?

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Fully hosted server at GoDaddy DOES NOT have a DB limitation

https://www.godaddy.com/community/VP...has/td-p/43160

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

King of sapila

I remember having a plan on a Czech based company that I had my own Server with 250 or 500 GB HD space no limit on what I wanted to install and it was 20 Euros per month.
    Of course I was sharing the bandwidth with ..Errr 10 or 20 sites was it? Still it was relatively fast for trans-European communications.
    I can't recall the company and probably not relevant as US based people will have low speeds.

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    Fully hosted server at GoDaddy DOES NOT have a DB limitation

https://www.godaddy.com/community/VP...has/td-p/43160
    Page not found. Possibly looking on US plans and I'm looking at European plans?

I allow one of my clients to host a web site on this server, and they basically cover the cost. I'm about to upload some of my own experimental stuff - nice to have a server and not pay the electric bill, like I did 10 years ago!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Page not found. Possibly looking on US plans and I'm looking at European plans?
    Working here in the US - odd - basically says this:

JesseW
    Community Manager JesseW COMMUNITY MANAGER
    ‎03-31-2017 11:26 AM
    Hi, @shucky. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! The only limitation you would see for database size on a VPS would be the available amount of the server storage. Practically speaking, your database could also be too large for the amount of RAM to be able to process it too.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

King of sapila

I don't think that is odd, unless they don't know what they are selling, as there will be different servers that I will host the site than US ones. Also if this is US based they would most probably have more options for local residents than on other continents.

Fanatic Member

There are different editions of MSSQL server and no one should expect enterprise features on the free express edition. At least for free or low price.

Here is a list of differences in max CPU/cores supported, memory, maximum memory optimized data per database and others:
    Editions and supported features of SQL Server

Express edition is good enough for most cases. I've seen 20-25 years of company generated data by app to be 300-500MB, while badly designed db and app could generate GBs per month.

The problem is not the 10GB db limit, but the maximum memory optimized data per database. When data is not in memory, the db engine will hit the disk which will be very slow. Then this data is cached (optimized) in memory so it will be much faster on next access. But when the memory optimized data reaches the limit of 352MB for Express edition, then it will hit disk again when something is not in memory, even if you have plenty of RAM. Here you reach the need of Web, Standard or Enterprise editions, where the prices may become crazy according the hardware where it is installed.

In comparison, the free and open source alternatives like MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL and others, are not limiting the users as they have completely different licensing agreements (you can read more about open source and free software principles). There are no limitations on number of CPU sockets, number of CPU cores/threads, maximum supported memory...