Thread: How do you learn Visual Basic on the internet?

How do you learn Visual Basic on the internet?

I'm looking everywhere for up to date Visual Basic tutorials and learning resources. I can hardly find anything outside of tutorials of the very basic syntax. Very little in the way of actually showing you how to use the .NET Framework. Specifically, I'm looking for a tutorial on how to build a website in Visual Basic with ASP.NET and I'm coming up with literally nothing. Any resource would be helpful though.

Failing that, will I have an easier time learning Visual Basic later if I just go through C# tutorials instead?

Jesus, I can't believe that anyone still uses this language with how little there is on the internet about it.

Re: How do you learn Visual Basic on the internet?

The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

You may just be running into a common problem that arises when trying to teach a subject that is based so heavily on creativity. It's easy to write a good beginner tutorial because there are a bunch of basic subjects that should be covered, so the big questions are the order in which they are covered, the way you write about them, and the examples you use. Those are tractable problems.

Once you get beyond that, though, the subjects broaden hyper-exponentially. Entire, large, books can be written on topics such as specific techniques to interact with databases, multithreading, networking, web service security, and so on. For this reason, you may never find something sufficiently specific to your needs. That's especially true when you talk about a website using ASP.NET, let alone making it even more specific by narrowing it to VB.NET. ASP.NET was once synonymous with Web Forms, but these days, Web Forms is probably the least common approach that falls under the broad umbrella of ASP.NET. At this point, I doubt I could list all the different options that fall under that umbrella, and it's probably going to expand.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Once you get beyond that, though, the subjects broaden hyper-exponentially.
    That is the problem that I have with my tutorial website. The lessons walk through the syntax and common concepts of Visual Basic .NET, but if I start to narrow it down (say to web development or database development) then I run the risk of it becoming too narrow in scope.

Quote Originally Posted by justinbuo53 View Post
    Jesus, I can't believe that anyone still uses this language with how little there is on the internet about it.
    Don't use it then. If you feel that you'll run into more issue than it is worth, then stop before you get too far ahead of yourself.

I am a big Visual Basic .NET advocate, combining the power of the .NET framework with the readability of Visual Basic makes it a great introductory as well as a great enterprise language.

But I can tell you that my ASP.NET MVC Core work is done in C#. It isn't that I can't use Visual Basic .NET, I just knew that I would likely get more support using C# and so I went that route.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

I had missed that line. I might point out that the internet wasn't really a thing when I started. It was all books. The internet was around, but people hadn't really figured out how to make it anywhere near as useful as it is today. I can get the part number off a chip, plug it into Google, and get all the information I want for the chip. That's amazing. It may make you a bit complacent, though. If you expect it all to be there, then you might expect more than can be delivered when the question becomes too excessively broad. With ASP.NET meaning so many things (I had forgotten about MVC, but I knew if I listed the things under the ASP.NET umbrella I would miss a few), it's probably too much to ask for a tutorial on THAT. Web Forms, MVC, WebAPI, MVVM, Razor, or Blazor are probably more reasonable levels of focus.

PowerPoster

that's a strange thing to say. Google "Create Website with asp .net" and you get thousands of hits and tons of videos. I played around with this a few years ago and had a website up and running in a few hours just using Google.

Plenty of free information available.

I remember the time the only thing we had was the manual, given with the disks, that describe all the commands available. No example, no help, no forum. Just try, guess, error, mistake, work and more work to achieve a simple program. Now there is worldwide information available like we never dreamed of and they are doing nothing with it... sadness fill my heart.
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)

You may just be running into a common problem that arises when trying to teach a subject that is based so heavily on creativity. It's easy to write a good beginner tutorial because there are a bunch of basic subjects that should be covered, so the big questions are the order in which they are covered, the way you write about them, and the examples you use. Those are tractable problems.

Once you get beyond that, though, the subjects broaden hyper-exponentially. Entire, large, books can be written on topics such as specific techniques to interact with databases, multithreading, networking, web service security, and so on. For this reason, you may never find something sufficiently specific to your needs. That's especially true when you talk about a website using ASP.NET, let alone making it even more specific by narrowing it to VB.NET. ASP.NET was once synonymous with Web Forms, but these days, Web Forms is probably the least common approach that falls under the broad umbrella of ASP.NET. At this point, I doubt I could list all the different options that fall under that umbrella, and it's probably going to expand.
    I have 8 Asp.Net webforms apps embedded in HTML pages on my site. If you know some VB, HTML, CSS, webforms apps are easy to write...

Quote Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
    I remember the time the only thing we had was the manual, given with the disks, that describe all the commands available. No example, no help, no forum. Just try, guess, error, mistake, work and more work to achieve a simple program. Now there is worldwide information available like we never dreamed of and they are doing nothing with it... sadness fill my heart.
    This is how I learned. I was programming since well before I was a teenager and there was no internet then. These modern kids have it unbelievably easy compared to my time.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    This is how I learned. I was programming since well before I was a teenager and there was no internet then. These modern kids have it unbelievably easy compared to my time.

I was trying to avoid sounding quite like a curmudgeon, but you went full, whole-hog, curmudgeon.

I was trying to avoid sounding quite like a curmudgeon, but you went full, whole-hog, curmudgeon.
    lmao
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

You forgot,

"I use to have to program in the snow, while walking uphill, with no keyboard"

Well if you ever programmed using just a line editor, it's about like that.

I am too young to have known the programming with punched cards but I remember doing some coding at school on an programmable logic controller where the screen was only one short line of text (you couldn't even display the whole line).

I think we are taking a nostalgia break

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    You forgot,

"I use to have to program in the snow, while walking uphill, with no keyboard"

Well if you ever programmed using just a line editor, it's about like that.
    "Bi-bidirectionally... on green-bar paper!"

And god forbid should your tractor feed paper ever miss a hole, or gets ripped.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Or you accidentally put a page feed on every other line of a large document.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

There are the step by step methods we used in the past because they was no other way. This was mine...

1. Buy an 8bit micro that has BASIC as its default user interface and learn the BASIC rudimentaries there.
    2. Obtain QB64 on Windows and learn about a more advanced BASIC with a TUI interface, compiling and editing using a simple IDE.
    3. Obtain a copy of VB6 and learn how to build graphical applications in a RAD IDE, introduction to OO & event driven programming.
    4. Install VS and the .NET framework and learn how BASIC is applied today, full OO programming using a modern toolset.

Create a usable program within each environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
    I was on the IBM mainframe and in the early eighties your best tool was a core dump. If you went and asked somebody for help, without having made at least a minimal effort on your own, your were often told RTFM (Read The F*ing Manual).
    Please remember next time...elections matter!