Thread: vs2010 OR vs2019 Community

Hyperactive Member

vs2010 OR vs2019 Community

Now I am looking at upgarding a pc to Windows 10, which means that I will relaod all the sofrware, (alwase liek a clean install rather than upgrade). For someone who only uses VS on an adhoc basis, and only some of the more simple features, is there any beenfit in upgradng to VS2019 community ? or keep something I am more familiar with

Re: vs2010 OR vs2019 Community

The most obvious benefit is greater compatibility, particularly with .NET Core. Unless there's something about VS 2010 that you're particularly wedded to, I'd suggest upgrading. Even if there's no benefit, you haven't really lost anything. Even one small benefit is a benefit.

VS2010 was the most beautiful version of VS, in my opinion, but even I have moved on to VS2019. The one question I would have for you is: Do you have an SSD and sufficient RAM? VS2019 is an improvement on the previous two versions, but it can still be sluggish on some systems because you have so MANY convenient, or not, IDE features. Some folks, myself included, have suggested that VS2019 shouldn't have ALL the features included by default. The way VS2019 was implemented, you can select language packages, so if you will be using one language and not some others, you only need to get the part you will use. They should have done the same for some of the more graphically intensive features.

I really doubt that there is anybody who uses EVERY feature they have for helping navigate code. Many of these features are really nice. The IDE is clearly better than VS2010, with several features that are useful every day, but if you don't use all of them, you don't need all of them, and they do come at a performance cost on a system that has marginal specs. Since you are upgrading a computer OS, that suggests that you may not be upgrading the hardware, too, in which case you might find VS2019 sluggish, whereas VS2010 will be slick.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Signalman View Post
    Now I am looking at upgarding a pc to Windows 10
    When you upgrade that PC, get a new keyboard.

Lively Member

Whenever new versions arrive, there are always new Features. You will only benefit if you update I find some new feature of vs2019 so that is beneficial for you let see

1.Lightweight and modular installation
    2.Cloud-connected
    3.Powerful coding tools
    4.Advanced debugging(Debug, profile, and diagnose)
    5.Device apps(Universal Windows Platform, iOS, and Android)
    6.Web tools(Create and deploy modern web applications)
    7.Git integration(Host code anywhere)
    8.Exciting benefits(Access to free tools and resources)

lots of the new features but this is important from my point of view
    if you interested in details of any features follow this link https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/community/

Quote Originally Posted by Prahlad View Post
    2.Cloud-connected
    7.Git integration(Host code anywhere)
    Important points there. How often do we get questions on here about how to recover a project that someone has never backed up and just borked? Often. The ease with which you can use free source control providers in more recent versions of VS and 2019 in particular would save a lot of heartache for a lot of people if they knew about it and realised the benefits it provides are not just for professional teams.