Thread: VB6 WebSocket-PushServer-Demo

PowerPoster

VB6 WebSocket-PushServer-Demo

This Demo shows, how one can "connect a Browser-GUI" to an existing Desktop-App
    ("Desktop-App-remoting" - e.g. from any given mobile-device via WLAN-IPs in the URL of their mobile-Browsers)

It depends on the cWebServer-implementation of either the RC5 or RC6 package.
    (the Project references RC6 - but is switchable to vbRichClient5-reference and should then work the same way).

It is able to run directly in the IDE, starting-up a webserver-instance,
    which then listens on the loopback-interface "127.0.0.1" and Port 8080 by default.

A new Browser-instance (-Tab) of your currently installed default-Browser can be shelled directly from this "Server-Form".
    (with the correct URL which matches your current IP and Port-Settings).

The Server-App stands for your own "Desktop-App" (and what it could support with regards to "Browser-remoting").
    It has currently implemented a little WebAPI-interface which allows:
    - two simple JSON-based Ajax-RPC-calls (to show "Browser-initiated Param-transport and -requests)
    - but it also allows a Browser-initiated "Subscribing to two ServerPush-Channels" (Server-initiated Data-Pushing to the Browser-Clients)
    1) a simple "current ServerTime push-channel"
    2) a simple "Chat-channel", which allows:
    2.1) a Message-Reflection (at the serverside) for client-initiated Chat-Message to all connected Clients
    2.2) a Server-initiated Chat-Message (via Button on the Server-Form) which is transported to all connected Clients as well

Here is the Demo-Code:
    WebSocketPushServer.zip

Have fun,

Olaf

PowerPoster

Re: VB6 WebSocket-PushServer-Demo

can it only start as websocket server,to receive text data?

G'Day Olaf

Thanks for another fantastic "prototype" , I'm a fan

I have done my usual thing and added branding etc. to your orig. code. as this helps me mold the UI, I'm not colour blind, but may as well be so my UIs are 'blank'.

I have setup a Win X "server" as a test bed and I have found a couple of interesting down streams

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    This Demo shows, how one can "connect a Browser-GUI" to an existing Desktop-App
    ("Desktop-App-remoting" - e.g. from any given mobile-device via WLAN-IPs in the URL of their mobile-Browsers)

Olaf
    If I change the IV4 addr. in your orig. code to eg. 10.10.10.10:8080 I can use NAT to re-direct from a static WAN IPV4 eg. 203.123.123.123, it seems that it doesn't matter what IPV4 u use how does this addr. work I cannot find any answers from searching for websockets ???

If u don't know off the top of your head no biggy mate, don't spend too much time on this crazy question

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post

Have fun,

Olaf
    Thanks for you efforts so far.

I have a lot of experience in HA systems and scaling up sys. eg. I was part of the team that managed the largest web site in southern hemisphere so I have included TAGs in my design a bit like the way Twitter uses tags.

So this design so far is you can filter on users or channels by using # or @ in the msg.

BUT, AIirc is only going to allow #Australians via the mobile no. eg. oldetwit-0408... so this might put ppl off, we get so much 'SMS Spam' I want to be certain that only aussies use AIirc ATM

So for me the future for this "App" is to connect the chat msgs. to AI that is why I tentative called it AIirc - I used IRC a lot in the '90s

But, I have no idea how to do this - its all Schadenfreude 4 me ATM, maybe we need to have a fireside meetup to throw a few ideas around.

If any1 is interested in trying the re-branded app flick me a instant and I will give u the WAN IP

UI SS AIirc UI

BTW - I 'own' a boutique ISP so I can host on the edge and setup AIirc.au "properly" if ppl want to try out their design / code changes in the wild

A little late. But, there are folk who may need this answer: You have to forward anything coming to your public iport to your private:ip in your router. It's called Port Forwarding allowed in both directions by NAT. Keep track of the public you snatch from the socket and send to the public from your server app.

In Oz you usually have to get to the ISP panel & poke a hole thru. for your preferred port

BTW - The project I mention above has now morphed into a 'Disaster Recovery System' http://5o.au using Geo location via our Go Geo URLs (GGU) http://10fosst.5351.5o.au for each property and region like http://barossa.5o.au which we are going to roll out via a charity in '25 - so much fun being in startup N O T

All this powered via VB6 generating static HTML accessed using Round Robin DNS for High Availability