Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: DILEMMA: from VB6 + FLASH to ...?

  1. #1

    Thread Starter
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9

    DILEMMA: from VB6 + FLASH to ...?

    Hi everyone,
    I have not written for some years, I hope you are all well and that you can give me some advice.
    I made a VB6 trivia game and still have some loyal customers.
    This game runs on a PC and projects Flash animations on the second monitor. Through .txt file I write (for example the ranking) and display the information in the flash animation and vice versa if it is the same animation that gives me an output that I import.
    The graphics are very well done as well as the animations.
    As we all know, flash is in End of life. Actually Microsoft itself a few months ago assured me that the EOL will concern the web but I fear that the windows update will also eliminate it locally .. so I have to act quickly.
    The transition from Vb6 to VB.Net is not looking traumatic to me. I'm already starting to replicate some "key" concepts like the second monitor etc.
    My real dilemma is: what can I use as an alternative to flash? WPF? Unity?
    I looked on the tube ".Net WPF Game" but I see basic things .. maybe they are just examples and with WPF I can do everything I have described? considering that I have to "interact" with these animations, can you think of an alternative technology to flash but one that is durable?
    thank you so much!
    Antonio

  2. #2
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,441

    Re: DILEMMA: from VB6 + FLASH to ...?

    u can still use flash, and if your game is offline, you can include the flash.ocx with the installation.
    my last flash project (a few years old now) I add the flash component dynamically using Controls.Add
    that way, if theres an error, I can register the .ocx or tell the user to install the flash.setup.exe (if u like that option) or register within the program, if the user want that.
    now Im not sure about copyrights, if flash is about to die, I think it should not be any problems, u need to look into it.

    it could be that flash will be like VB6, it will work for many many years. so if you are good with flash, and dont want to lose that experience, maybe u could still use it?

  3. #3
    Taking a Break
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    1,340

    Re: DILEMMA: from VB6 + FLASH to ...?

    html5,svg gif

  4. #4

    Thread Starter
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9

    Re: DILEMMA: from VB6 + FLASH to ...?

    must be a desktop application that runs with COM antenna receiver. you are proposing me a web solution i think.. ?

  5. #5

    Thread Starter
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9

    Re: DILEMMA: from VB6 + FLASH to ...?

    thanks for your reply. Well the other issue is that for the future i will always have troubles finding flash designer for new animations/arcade to include...

    Quote Originally Posted by baka View Post
    u can still use flash, and if your game is offline, you can include the flash.ocx with the installation.
    my last flash project (a few years old now) I add the flash component dynamically using Controls.Add
    that way, if theres an error, I can register the .ocx or tell the user to install the flash.setup.exe (if u like that option) or register within the program, if the user want that.
    now Im not sure about copyrights, if flash is about to die, I think it should not be any problems, u need to look into it.

    it could be that flash will be like VB6, it will work for many many years. so if you are good with flash, and dont want to lose that experience, maybe u could still use it?

  6. #6

    Thread Starter
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9

    Re: DILEMMA: from VB6 + FLASH to ...?

    must be a desktop application that runs with COM antenna receiver. you are proposing me a web solution i think.. ?

    Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    html5,svg gif

  7. #7
    Angel of Code Niya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,027

    Re: DILEMMA: from VB6 + FLASH to ...?

    I'm not sure that WPF or Unity would be an alternative to Flash. What exactly is Flash's purpose in your project? What exactly are you using lash to do? Are the animations simple? Are they complicated? Need more info.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena


    C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

    There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. -jmcilhinney

  8. #8

    Thread Starter
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9

    Re: DILEMMA: from VB6 + FLASH to ...?

    trivia games, arcade games (such as race horse, spin the wheel, poker, etc). Graphics were made in vector and animations in flash AS3 with code script for send/receive info to/from animations....


    Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    I'm not sure that WPF or Unity would be an alternative to Flash. What exactly is Flash's purpose in your project? What exactly are you using lash to do? Are the animations simple? Are they complicated? Need more info.

  9. #9
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,441

    Re: DILEMMA: from VB6 + FLASH to ...?

    you can actually skip flash and let VB6 do everything for you. both coding and graphics.
    we have GDI/GDI+/RC5/DirectX/Direct2d/Cairo/OpenGL that can be used to create games.

    Im actually using Direct2d to create my own game that is a real time multi layered platformer that runs very smoothly with very little cpu/gpu usage.

  10. #10

    Thread Starter
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9

    Re: DILEMMA: from VB6 + FLASH to ...?

    wow... seems really cool! do you have some sample/demo to show me?

    Quote Originally Posted by baka View Post
    you can actually skip flash and let VB6 do everything for you. both coding and graphics.
    we have GDI/GDI+/RC5/DirectX/Direct2d/Cairo/OpenGL that can be used to create games.

    Im actually using Direct2d to create my own game that is a real time multi layered platformer that runs very smoothly with very little cpu/gpu usage.

  11. #11
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,441

    Re: DILEMMA: from VB6 + FLASH to ...?

    Olaf is the one that created RC5 and have knowledge how to use it,
    theres tons of stuff, not just graphical, and it uses Cairo as the graphic engine. he has a homepage for it and examples that can be downloaded.

    GDI/GDI+ others are better with that, as Im not using it anymore. theres examples all over the forum how to use GDI and/or GDI+, I believe u will find most examples/sources since its old and lots of people uses it.

    DirectX theres different typelibs, and not my forte, theres members that have more experience with it, not much examples, but theres sources u can download together with the typelibs. The Trick made one. just look for his name and u will find examples.

    Direct2D is the one I use right now. its mainly used for 2D graphics and I have learned to use it for my needs.
    mostly the bitmap rendering, not so much the drawing/text. theres not much examples since its mostly me that uses it (it seems)
    I use the typelib that The Trick created. theres a couple of examples u can download from the thread that he posted.

  12. #12
    Taking a Break
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    1,340

    Re: DILEMMA: from VB6 + FLASH to ...?

    HTML 5,SVG ,can only run in local,by ie,webbrowser,edge

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width