Thread: Is there a bug in the latest upgrade ?

Is there a bug in the latest upgrade ?

Hi,

I'm not sure that this is the correct forum, because it is a question, I don't believe it's language specific, else I'd've posted it in vb.NET.

I 'upgraded' to the newest Visual Studio Community 2019 Version 16.8.3 yesterday and since then I've been having problems with the Error List.
    Basically the problem is: When I try to test my project, click 'Start' and I get the dreaded 'There were build errors... etc.' error but the Error List no longer tells me what or where the error is. It doesn't flag up the error at any time thereafter either.

I can't discover how to proceed in this case. I've 'Undone' the previous steps until the error goes, but I can't see any faults when re-doing 'em one at a time, I say 'one at a time' but sometimes I can't just do one, because it introduces an error (which is flagged up) until I add the next few parts.

This has happened too often and in so many different areas of the project for it to be totally down to me, although I wouldn't rule out the possibility of it being my Win.10 laptop.

Poppa
    Along with the sunshine there has to be a little rain sometime.

Re: Is there a bug in the latest upgrade ?

My first suggestion would be to perform a repair on VS. If that doesn't work, can you zip up your solution (after deleting all bin and obj folders) and attach it so that we can test it to see whether we experience the same behaviour. If we do, maybe we can determine the cause. If we don't, that would definitely suggest that it's an issue with your system.

I've moved this thread to the .NET Architecture & Design forum

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post
    I've moved this thread to the .NET Architecture & Design forum
    Thanks Si.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    My first suggestion would be to perform a repair on VS. If that doesn't work, can you zip up your solution (after deleting all bin and obj folders) and attach it so that we can test it to see whether we experience the same behaviour. If we do, maybe we can determine the cause. If we don't, that would definitely suggest that it's an issue with your system.
    Thanks John,

I ran the repair on VS and that fixed the main problem, I do still have a problem with my Error List, I was going to try a new variable and just added it to the end of a 'Dim' statement
    Code:
     Dim lngh, siz, tgo As Integer, txt, wrd As String, one As Boolean
    'one' being the addition.

I ran the app. to check something, closed it, and decided I didn't need the new boolean anyway, but I noticed that (predictably) the error list warned of an unused variable. Since I didn't need it, I just deleted the comma and the 'one As Boolean' expecting the warning to go... It didn't and even deleting and re-typing the whole line doesn't get rid of it. Running the app. is ok, but it still warns of an unused variable. I can live with that.

As for zipping up the whole thing, it's huge! and besides, you'd have a field day pointing out all the stuff you don't like.

Having done the repair I found that I had to re-make a lot of my customising and found where to set Option Strict and Option Explicit to default to On, (I knew I'd done that somehow previously) so at least one good thing came as a bonus.

Poppa

PS.
    Oh !
    Whilst I've been writing the above, the error warning's gone !
    Took it's time though didn't it !

Pop.
    Last edited by Poppa Mintin; Dec 12th, 2020 at 08:29 PM.