Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The US fragile democracy Exposed

PowerPoster

Re: The US fragile democracy Exposed

Well, on a positive note, our country survived Trumps best shot. Think now he is mainly going to be a thorn in the side of republicans. But if you sleep with dogs, you get fleas. I have a copyright on that saying but feel free to use it.

The rats are abandoning ship, congress hung together (mostly) and it looks like calmer seas ahead (also on of my copyrighted sayings). I think I'm ready to put politics behind me for a while and bask in the warmth of ignorance. But don't worry, I will still be around if anyone needs my advice.

Time for some good news... Twitter has permanently banned Trumps account.

I wonder what he'll do with his time now, does he still have access to the Nukes?

PowerPoster

Just substitute Donald for Brain and Rudy for Pinky,
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PowerPoster

There's infrastructure (human and otherwise) between the President and a nuclear launch, so that's not going to happen, thankfully. And its totally not in his wheelhouse. Other than one or two exceptions, he's shown zero interest in attacking other countries for any reason.

Going on pardon-palooza is in his wheelhouse, but that's pretty common for the last few days of most presidents. Declassifying the entirety of the governments "ET/UFO" files is in his wheelhouse. I'm super hoping he does that one, by the way. Declassifying other things that are embarrassing to his critics is in his wheelhouse.

The question is, who gets the first "citizen Trump" interview (who wants it?), and how far off the rails does it go? I'm laughing just thinking about how absolutely unhinged he will likely be.

PowerPoster

The question is, who gets the first "citizen Trump" interview (who wants it?), and how far off the rails does it go? I'm laughing just thinking about how absolutely unhinged he will likely be.
    You give him more credit than I do, I don't think he has ever been on any rails. lol

I would expect it to be the same old crap and there will be the same old people eager to lap it up. Though some of them will be doing it from a jail cell. Hope they find the person who killed the police officer.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    You give him more credit than I do, I don't think he has ever been on any rails. lol

I would expect it to be the same old crap and there will be the same old people eager to lap it up. Though some of them will be doing it from a jail cell. Hope they find the person who killed the police officer.
    I'm pretty sure the Trump unhinged meter goes all the way to 11. I doubt we've ever seen higher than a Trump 8. What you hear about how he acts in private meetings and such is probably just under a 10.

Its hard to grasp, because a Trump 6 is probably what we would consider to be an 11 for almost anyone else.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Trump unhinged meter goes all the way to 11. I doubt we've ever seen higher than a Trump 8. What you hear about how he acts in private meetings and such is probably just under a 10.

Its hard to grasp, because a Trump 6 is probably what we would consider to be an 11 for almost anyone else.
    Well I don't want to brag but women tell me I'm a 10. Well that's not their exact words, it more of "your a 4 with a six pack". But hey, the math is right.

Other posters make reference to being able to delete their own posts, I've never seen any option to do that or I would have done that.
    You have to select the Edit option first and then the option to delete the post is at the top. Do you not see that?
    I will say that only someone like Donald Trump could cause me to get into an even quasi-political discussion online.
    I'm Australian and, like many the world over, have had a passing interest in US politics because what the US does affects everyone, but many others like me have also been drawn much further into US politics because of Trump. Just has he has emboldened many in the US to do and say things openly that used to only happen behind closed doors, so it goes elsewhere in the world as well. There's little doubt that much of the anti-mask garbage we hear here in Australia and elsewhere in the world is the direct result of Trump. We've got our nutjobs, just like everywhere, but there's little doubt that Trump has emboldened ours as well as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    I haven't been to an In 'n' Out in far too long... I'd like a 4-by Animal Style
    Those unaware that you were referring to a fast food outlet may mistake you for a Hungarian politician in the closet.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

does he still have access to the Nukes?
    They're explicitly trying to have his access removed. This is how low he has sunk. The possibility of him actually starting world war 3 is being considered as a genuine threat.

And, tempting though it may be to think on this as hyperbole, consider that this man actually discussed the possibility of invoking martial law and using the military to rerun the elections in States he wanted to flip. Flynne was explicit about this in a public address.

I also think it's a mistake to assume that the riots was the last or worst that we're going to see from his followers. The consolatory tone he took a day ago is already starting to erode and, were it not for his Twitter and Facebook profiles currently being banned you would be starting to see the rhetoric ramp back up again right now. It won't take him long to find his way to other platforms (there are plenty of explicitly right wing ones still available to him) and then he will start riling them up again.

They won't need much riling. You want to know how bad these guys are? They erected a gallows by the Capitol
    Name:  Gallows.PNG
Views: 357
Size:  336.3 KB

That was meant for Mike Pence
    who they now see as a traitor. But I mean, that was just theatre right? Surely it was just just for display. Except that would beg the question of what this guy was planning to use Zip Tie Handcuffs for
    Name:  ZipTies.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  35.7 KB.

And lest we forget, they brought pipe bombs.

These are the same characters who planned to kidnap Governer Whitmer and put her on trial for treason for criticising Trump. They are capable of murder as a public spectacle and they have not gone away.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Jan 9th, 2021 at 07:26 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    You have to select the Edit option first and then the option to delete the post is at the top. Do you not see that?
    No, and I have scoured the entirety of the Edit page twice. Can you post a screenshot of what the edit page looks like for you?

No, and I have scoured the entirety of the Edit page twice. Can you post a screenshot of what the edit page looks like for you?
    As requested:
    Name:  Edit Post.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  45.6 KB
    I guess maybe post in the Forum Feedback forum in case there's an issue or at least get information on when you qualify to delete if you're not there yet.

I think that is one of the features you get as a PowerPoster (2000+ posts)

PowerPoster

Meh, people were fearmongering that he would start World War III with North Korea when he first got elected, and he did the exact opposite. Rhetoric is so high right now from everyone that its all just noise to me. That being said, I do believe there is probably a push to make this happen. If the push is by someone who is capable of being even a tiny bit "Trump objective" (and speaker Pelosi is not that, in my opinion), then I'll get worried.

Edit: And no, I'm not a Pelosi hating Trump supporter. And I'm not a Pelosi supporting Trump hater. I'm not a supporter or hater of any politician, at least I try not to be. I hope my posts have made that clear.

I have my viewpoints of what is "right" and what is "wrong", and those viewpoints guide my life, period. I've been criticized by coworkers before because of things that I might view as "right" or "wrong", because everyone seems to think that if you think something is "wrong", then you must believe that no one else should be able to do that thing, either by law or just moral code. Or that you must look down on or hate people that do that thing. Maybe that's them projecting how they view things on me, I don't know. But that's not how I believe.
    Last edited by OptionBase1; Jan 9th, 2021 at 11:31 AM.

PowerPoster

As requested:
    Name:  Edit Post.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  45.6 KB
    I guess maybe post in the Forum Feedback forum in case there's an issue or at least get information on when you qualify to delete if you're not there yet.
    Thank you. I don't have that option.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post
    I think that is one of the features you get as a PowerPoster (2000+ posts)
    Makes sense. Thank you.

Well get to posting, and not in here. You have less than 1,000 to go.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

people were fearmongering
    I really don't think it's fear mongering. After Trumps 12 hour twitter ban was lifted and before they permanently banned him he managed to release two tweets. One was saying he wouldn't be attending Biden's inauguratuion. This was the other:-

"The 75,000,000 great American Patriots who voted for me, AMERICA FIRST, and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, will have a GIANT VOICE long into the future. They will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way, shape or form!!!"

The conciliatory tone has already gone.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

There's no objective way to read any of his final two tweets and come to a conclusion that he's going to shoot off nukes. None, sorry. Any jump to that conclusion based on any recent public statement of his is 100% fearmongering, in my opinion.

If he's fully off his rocker in private right now, then that's a different story.

Of course he's not going to be conciliatory. That doesn't make him want to be a humanity ending maniac.

He clearly wants to run again in 2024 and wants to keep his support "warm" until then. But people will have long since moved on from him by then, likely.

PowerPoster

For all we know, an outgoing president at this point the term maybe already has little to no exclusive access to nuke codes and the like. And if so, speaker Pelosi knows that (since she's 3rd in the line of succession), but also knows that the public doesn't know it, and is just trying to get some final cuts in.

I'm fairly certain he wont do anything dangerous himself (he doesn't want to look bad), but I am concerned about what he will inspire his fans to do.

The amount of weaponry they turned up with the other day and the lengths they were willing to go to, I'm sure there will be at least some people who will do bad things in the next few weeks.

PowerPoster

I got to stop reading to news. I was happy and optimistic yesterday, I thought Trump and his base had been exposed and would start to wither, then today I saw these polls

https://www.news10.com/news/us-capit...of-us-capitol/

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/53...ng-the-capitol

It seems Trump has convinced a large segment of the population that truth and reality are not important in decision making or politics. Well I know they were not politicians strong suits before but this is next level stuff.

50% of Republican blame Biden for the assault on the capital

PowerPoster

It's true. The weight of reality is breaking through the wall of fake news. It is hard to suppress the will of 3/4 of the population. Only a fringe segment was involved the Capitol violence but people aren't going to let the Biden coup pass without comment or resistance.

Things have not even begun to get ugly yet. What we've seen so far is some fruitless action that culminated in active violence.

If general strikes to starve out the cities happen though, there could be some real pain and misery. I fear that far more than symbolic demonstrations gone wrong.

Imagine ships, airplanes, trains, and trucks going offline in protest. Or worse yet, people walking off infrastructure jobs and letting electricity, natural gas, water and sewer, etc. grand to a halt. Nuclear power plants are dicey at best, but how well can they operate safely unattended? Warehouse and retail workers, health care, and on and on?

Elites should be quaking in their wine caves, and their suburban and university sycophants canceling brunch and dropping their chocolate ice cream spoons and iPhones.

PowerPoster

Er, point being, this needs to be defused before it really gets ugly.

Somehow I doubt that authoritarian austerity is the path forward.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Er, point being, this needs to be defused before it really gets ugly.
    But paying lip service to what Trump has done while accusing Biden of staging a coup is? Assume that I have suggested that you can go elsewhere in the least polite terms possible. There is plenty to criticise Biden for but using the word "coup" for anything he's done in the current situation marks you as little less delusional than the average MAGAt.

PowerPoster

Only a fringe segment was involved the Capitol violence but people aren't going to let the Biden coup pass without comment or resistance.
    How many people have to die before you stop spreading the lie of of a stolen election. As usual these types of statements are not followed by any supporting evidence. Because there isn't any. over 50 judges, both Rep and Dem, have said the claims are baseless. All the state and national agencies in charge of the election has said there is no fraud. State and federal officials have served with honor. You are dishonoring democracy and yourself.
    Perpetuating this crap is what's at the heart of the violence.

Of course you have the right to your opinion. To bad it's not grounded in reality and people will be harmed because of your delusion.

PowerPoster

As I said, most Americans (3/4?) are not nearly as deeply divided as the media try to portray us.

It's not really all that inventive to suggest that disagreement "harms people" though. We saw the tactic used here during the McCarthy era, and prior to that in post-Weimar Germany. And just as in those cases we see the establishment of the major parties come together to denounce and suppress the opposition by the people.

At least 19 people had died by June 2020 due to the Biden Riots. Both tolls are despicable.

PowerPoster

"Biden Riots" lol

Not really funny but it keeps me from being banned from the forum.

due to the Biden Riots
    What the hell are you on about?! Are you just going to attach Biden's name to as many bad words as possible? I suppose that he's the head of antifa as well. You sound just like Kelly Loeffler saying "radical liberal Raphael Warnock" over and over like that will make it true. There's plenty to criticise Biden for so why do you have to make sh*t up? We all know why. It's because the stuff that he's really guilty of isn't bad enough for you. It's kinda funny that you would previously refer to Trump Derangement Syndrome when you seem to be suffering from Biden Derangement Syndrome yourself. It's also hard to take seriously now in particular, given how deranged Trump himself and his supporters have become. I don't know whether you actually used the expression "Bernie or bust" but it appears that you're busted, possibly beyond repair.

I think you have to be a PowerPoster to be able to delete posts. You get that ability at like 3000 posts if memory serves.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

It's true. The weight of reality is breaking through the wall of fake news. It is hard to suppress the will of 3/4 of the population. Only a fringe segment was involved the Capitol violence but people aren't going to let the Biden coup pass without comment or resistance.

Things have not even begun to get ugly yet. What we've seen so far is some fruitless action that culminated in active violence.

If general strikes to starve out the cities happen though, there could be some real pain and misery. I fear that far more than symbolic demonstrations gone wrong.

Imagine ships, airplanes, trains, and trucks going offline in protest. Or worse yet, people walking off infrastructure jobs and letting electricity, natural gas, water and sewer, etc. grand to a halt. Nuclear power plants are dicey at best, but how well can they operate safely unattended? Warehouse and retail workers, health care, and on and on?

Elites should be quaking in their wine caves, and their suburban and university sycophants canceling brunch and dropping their chocolate ice cream spoons and iPhones.
    OMG!

A few years ago, one of the things I used to do with my "dick off on the internet" time was spend hours reading posts on Stormfront.org and I have to say this kind of rhetoric is eerily reminiscent of much of the garbage I'd read there. I really hope this post is satire. This way way too spot on with something I'd expect on Stormfront or 4chan, both sites being hard right white supremacist strongholds. Please tell me you're not one of these awful people. If I started talking about the more radical beliefs held by the people in those spaces that tend to write stuff like that it would make people sick. I mean it's really disturbing. I really hope you're not one of those people.

I really don't care if you actually believe any of that. I don't really care that much about people's political views one way or another but this just sounds soooo much like something out of 4Chan or Stormfront. It's plausible you may have more in common than just a few relatively harmless political opinions. Those potential "other" beliefs are what I find concerning.
    Last edited by Niya; Jan 10th, 2021 at 02:10 AM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

You sound just like Kelly Loeffler saying "radical liberal Raphael Warnock" over and over like that will make it true
    Sadly I think Trump has proven that you can do that, at least to people that want to believe. The amount of people that choose a delusion over reality is mind boggling. Trying to reason with them doesn't work, I know I have someone like this in my family, their only truth is what they have been told, if this isn't a cult, it's the next this to it, maybe all you can do is feel sorry for them and hope some day they can find the strength to face reality.

I read an interesting piece the other day that, unfortunately, I can no longer find the link to. It talked about how the Republican strategy has long been to cast the Democratic party as an existential threat to America and its way of life and thus delegitimise Democratic rule. I'm not American but it made a lot of sense, even seeing what those on the far right are doing here in Australia and elsewhere. This would certainly explain why it was so easy to convince so many that there must have been fraud for Trump not to have won and it also explains why Republicans simply have to call someone a socialist to get people to vote for them, rather than actually provide policies that will help people. There's plenty of entitlement to go around but the Republican party seem to have made it the central plank of their platform. I think this ties into religion a lot too, or at least the way religion is practised by those on the right. The whole "America is a Christian country" thing is central to that. Trump just had to promise them that he make abortion illegal and many of them will assume that anything else he says or does is straight from god. Nutters gonna nut. We can see that the recent violence at the Capitol was a step too far for many Republicans and even Ted Cruz might balk at supporting an actual civil war, but there are plenty of outright nutjob Trump supporters who have drunk so much of the KoolAid that they will actually consider it their patriotic duty to start shooting people if Trump doesn't get what they think he deserves. To be frank, I genuinely fear for Joe Biden's safety. It would surprise me not at all if someone tried to assassinate him very soon after his inauguration, if not during.

I read an interesting piece the other day that, unfortunately, I can no longer find the link to. It talked about how the Republican strategy has long been to cast the Democratic party as an existential threat to America and its way of life and thus delegitimise Democratic rule.
    these maybe :
    https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ob-responsible
    https://www.aft.org/hc/fall2020/levitsky_ziblatt
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

As I said, most Americans (3/4?) are not nearly as deeply divided as the media try to portray us.
    I imagine that's roughly true... but talking about the "Biden Coup" and the "Biden Riot" mark you out as being in the other 1/4.

I genuinely fear for Joe Biden's safety
    Me too. Chatter on the internet is apparently indicating that something's going to happen on the 17th (I don't know why, can anyone fill in the significance of that date?) and I have no doubt that the 20th is going to bring fireworks.

The Vox one was it. Thanks.

PowerPoster

He clearly wants to run again in 2024 and wants to keep his support "warm" until then.
    I don't think that's clear at all. I'd be amazed.

But people will have long since moved on from him by then, likely.
    Of course they will. Trump was not elected "because he was Trump" in the first place. Aside from a small base of crazies most of his votes were anti-establishment votes opposing a system that was failing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Well get to posting, and not in here. You have less than 1,000 to go.
    I'm at 3509 posts and I don't have it. Maybe you need to be a mod? I tried it in the forum test area.
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Jan 10th, 2021 at 01:48 PM.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

I have the delete button but it seems a strange place to put it. I never noticed it till jmc explained where to look. Ty maybe they haven't given you the option because they know your never make a mistake. That would be my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    I'm at 3509 posts and I don't have it. Maybe you need to be a mod? I tried it in the forum test area.
    Nope, we have a different delete option, but I just checked, and I have the delete option that JMC showed, as well. Things tend to be added at powers of 2, so MAYBE it is 4096, though I don't think so. I don't remember any new things being unlocked once past the power poster level.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast