Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Thread: The US fragile democracy Exposed

PowerPoster

Re: The US fragile democracy Exposed

This does highlight a fundamental flaw in your system though. It should be possible to remove a sitting president within days because, no matter how bad Trump has been, history teaches us that it's possible for a leader to be far, far worse.
    There is ways to remove a sitting president but the votes aren't there.

But he never said a word about all his lies and incitement since the election. It was forced and meaningless. He gets zero credit from me.
    The point isn't to give him credit, the point is it might save lives.

As far as impeachment, I definitely wouldn't wait 100 days, they have been talking about half day on impeachment and half day on other business. meh Unless there is a chance of winning I don't see much worth in it. Everything that is bad about Trump has been said and proven many times. It makes no difference to his base. In fact they feed off it, gives them more reasons to be angry because everyone is lying about poor Donald.

Maybe it's time to stop making Trump the squeaky wheel.

The point isn't to give him credit, the point is it might save lives.
    I had that out of context then.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    I had that out of context then.
    No, you had a valid point. I was just to lazy to explain my position completely. The way his businesses are being affected, your not the only one who wont give him credit. lol

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

There is ways to remove a sitting president but the votes aren't there.
    I didn't think there was a timely way. The more I've learned over the last few days, you're right. Impeachment could be timely but it would require a pro-motion leader in the both houses as they effectively decide the timing between them (one decides when to pass it to the Senate, the other can further delay it once received if they choose). Of course, it still requires that 2/3 in the Senate which is absent at the moment.

I definitely wouldn't wait 100 days
    I don't think I'd wait 100 but I would give it a week or two. I think there's a fairly high probability that more Repubs will cross the aisle after the Inauguration when Trumps hold over them is somewhat lifted. Hard to say but I do get the impression that there are still a significant number of Repubs who really hate him but are still too afraid to step out of line.

And I had heard that apparently, once the articles were passed across, the Senate had to work on that to the exclusion of all else, effectively stopping government until the conviction was resolved one way or the other. I've since heard that they can apparently split their time and that's what they did with Clinton. I'm not sure on the truth of any of this stuff, though, as it's kinda flashed past on the news during other articles.

Edit>Also, Republicans really need to stop playing the "an impeachment will be divisive". It's not the impeachment that's divisive. It's four years of extremist enabling rhetoric, followed by 3 months of concerted miss-information about the election being invalid culminating in an actual incitement to insurrection at the national Capitol that's divisive.

"The impeachment might anger the extremists and move them to action" is the equivalent of an abusive partner saying "look at what you made me do".
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Jan 15th, 2021 at 03:35 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Also, Republicans really need to stop playing the "an impeachment will be divisive". It's not the impeachment that's divisive. It's four years of extremist enabling rhetoric, followed by 3 months of concerted miss-information about the election being invalid culminating in an actual incitement to insurrection at the national Capitol that's divisive.
    Indeed. I heard Lindsey Graham say that impeachment would rip the country apart even further, but I've never heard him actually admit that the country has been ripped apart in the first place. He's trying to suggest that Democrats are trying to do more damage without admitting that Republicans have done damage in the first place.

Republicans really need to stop playing the "an impeachment will be divisive". It's not the impeachment that's divisive. It's four years of extremist enabling rhetoric, followed by 3 months of concerted miss-information about the election being invalid culminating in an actual incitement to insurrection at the national Capitol that's divisive.

"The impeachment might anger the extremists and move them to action" is the equivalent of an abusive partner saying "look at what you made me do".
    Thank you! My sentiments exactly...
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910