Thread: I need help, please.

Post I need help, please.

Name:  needhelp.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  36.3 KB

Re: I need help, please.

I need a Crystal Ball in order to Help, I can't read that.
    Posting a proper question would be a start, with Code not a Picture
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

Name:  unnamed.gif
Views: 183
Size:  13.2 KB

Nope, sorry, didn't work...
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

1) You should use a title that actually explains briefly what the problem is. Title threads like "I need help" aren't usefull. Of course you need help, or you wouldn't be here.
    2) The forum does something to screenshots and reduces them in size. We can't see sh** in them. don't post them unless it's part of the screen and already reduced in size.
    3) Even with a screen shot, it helps to tell us what the problem is. In my signature block below is a link about removing eels from your hovercraft. I suggest reading it. Otherwise you get people like me with terse responses of "Well have you tried removing the eels from your hovercraft and recompiling?" because that response is as useful as the original post.
    So before someone asks you to remove the eels from you hover craft, read the guide on removing them, and try it again.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Seems you have an unhandled Null Reference exception.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

I agree with Niya, but since I can't read the line of code, I can't say much more than that.

Object Reference not set to an instance is both the most common exception, and usually about the easiest, but you have two steps to take. The first step is to find the object that is Nothing. One of the objects in that line is Nothing. Once you find that object, then you have to find out why. Quite often, once you figure out which object is Nothing, the why is self evident. If not, then go back to where the object was created...or should have been created, since it wasn't created.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Seems you have an unhandled Null Reference exception.
    Niya .. or should I say Obi wan Kenobi..., you sure can feel the Force, or should I say
    ... feel the Source
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
    Niya .. or should I say Obi wan Kenobi..., you sure can feel the Force, or should I say
    ... feel the Source
    lmao xd
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

hi I just post something in this forum where to check our own post in vb forum? sry newbie here

Quote Originally Posted by cssoh96 View Post
    hi I just post something in this forum where to check our own post in vb forum? sry newbie here
    Welcome to VBForums

Due to our spam protection features, posts from some new members don't become visible until they are manually approved by moderators - and the system has chosen you to be one of those.

It only happens for your first few posts, so you won't have to put up with it for long.

The thread you posted is now visible, and is here: https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....-the-client-PC

Sinecure devotee

I guess the OP must have moved on, as it was their first post and maybe they're lost in the internet woods somewhere.
    Anyway, it looks to me like the sub is...
    Code:
        Protected Overrides Sub OnCreateControl()
            MyBase.OnCreateControl()
            Dock = DockStyle.Fill
            Parent.FindForm().FormBorderStyle = FormBorderStyle.None     
        End Sub
    I'm assuming that Parent.FindForm is perhaps returning Nothing.

It looks like VS2017 returns an additional line in the exception message that is more specific, i.e.
    System.NullReferenceException: 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.'

System.Windows.Forms.Control.Parent.get returned Nothing.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930