Thread: What is VS Code for? Can I use it to do VB style coding?

Hyperactive Member

What is VS Code for? Can I use it to do VB style coding?

Is VS code a simpler generic IDE for various languages like C, Java, and Python?
    Can I use it to do VB stuff like forms, buttons, and pictureBoxes ?

Who uses VS Code when Visual Studio Community is free?

Re: What is VS Code for? Can I use it to do VB style coding?

Short answers: Yes. No. I do.
    Longer answer:
    It's not a true, full-fledged IDE the way Studio is. It's an editor built on Electron with plugins that allow you to do things in various languages. I use it because it's lightweight for what I do and because it runs on a Mac. I do web development that includes front-end and back-end and sometimes things in the middle. For the front end, where I'm working with HTML, JS, React, & Redux, I use VS Code... for the heavier backend, IntelliJ since it's all Java-based.

VS Code isn't a replacement for VS Studio any more than VS Studio is a replacement for VS Code... they serve two different avenues of development.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I use Visual Studio for my software development (like VB.NET) and Visual Studio Code for my web development (like Angular).

Visual Studio is great for software development because it provides you a designer and debugger by which you can rapidly develop applications. You could use Visual Studio Code for software development, but you lose more than you gain.

Visual Studio Code is great for web development because it provides you with a terminal in the code so that you can run NPM commands relatively quickly. For example, if I'm developing a feature but I need a package, I can run npm install foo in the terminal, immediately import the package into my module, and then run npm run start to start testing.

TLDR: Yes, you can use VS Code for VB.NET, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Hyperactive Member

I have only ever done text based simple web dev. (Notepad or Linux terminal)
    HTML in a terminal (or generated by an online tool)
    CSS as text file & JS in that same HTML text

Then I've used Python or PHP as the server scripting (and also mySQL, etc)
    Also just a text file that I upload to a web server host.

In what ways will VS Code make this better for me?
    I would like to try web dev with an IDE, not just raw text.

In short - VS Code has plugins for different languages that enable intellisense, linters that make your code consistent (ie, it can enforce tabs over spaces for indenting, or 4 spaces over 2 spaces for indenting), keeps track of brackets for you - so that when you open a bracket, it adds a closing one for you right there so you don't have to keep track if you're burried 5 level deep... same with quotes. Depending on the plugin(s) it can also deal with syntax issues. It's actually pretty robust for what it is. I can also use it to manage my Docker images and containers too. It just all depends on what plugins you have installed.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

The way that I usually describe Visual Studio Code to older programmers is that VS Code is basically the 2020 version of VIM.

VIM on its own was an enhanced text editor, but you configure it to essentially work as a full fledged PHP IDE.

VS Code is sort of the same. It is an enhanced text editor that provides a terminal and solution explorer, but you can configure it to become a full fledged IDE for just about any environment.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

The way I understand it is that VS Code is general purpose and can be programmed to work with any language. Visual Studio is more specific about what it supports.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber