Thread: VB.NET Late Binding in C#

Fanatic Member

VB.NET Late Binding in C#

I had a VB6 code long time ago then I convert to VB.NET. Now I am working on a version in C#, Can I totally get rid of NewLateBinding because C# doesn't have such thing? I means not making two references of using Microsoft.VisualBasic and using Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.

Code:
    object objectValue = WebBrowser1.Document.InvokeScript("z");
    while (!IsDBNull(NewLateBinding.LateGet(objectValue, null, "range", new object[0], null, null, null)))
    {
       //...
    }
    Last edited by DaveDavis; Nov 30th, 2020 at 08:26 PM.

Re: VB.NET Late Binding in C#

You should probably have fixed the VB.NET code to get rid of the late-binding first. What type is the actual object you are dealing with? Is there a reason that you can't cast as that type?

If you really must use late-binding in C# then you can use the dynamic keyword these days. It works slightly differently than in VB but achieves the same result.

By the way, as you have asked it, this is a C# question. I won't do anything yet as it may turn out that you should be making changes in VB first anyway. If not, I will ask the mods to move this thread to the C# forum.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    What type is the actual object you are dealing with?
    it is WebBrowser1.Document.

Code:
    object objectValue = WebBrowser1.Document.InvokeScript("z");
    while (!IsDBNull(NewLateBinding.LateGet(objectValue, null, "range", new object[0], null, null, null)))
    {
       //...
    }

Quote Originally Posted by DaveDavis View Post
    it is WebBrowser1.Document.
    That's not an answer to the question I asked. The issue here is that you are declaring objectValue as type Object and so you only have compile-time access to members of that type. The object that you are assigning to that variable is obviously a more specific type and you want to access a member - seemingly a range field or property - of that type. In order to access that member without using late-binding, you need to cast a reference to that object as that type. That tells the compiler that it can access members of that type. That is the type I am asking about. You should know what that type is. Once you do know, you can do something like this in VB:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Dim objectValue = DirectCast(WebBrowser1.Document.InvokeScript("z"), SomeType)
    The variable is then the correct type so you can use early-binding to access members of that type. The equivalent in C# would be this:
    csharp Code:
    1. var objectValue = (SomeType) WebBrowser1.Document.InvokeScript("z");
    Is there a reason that you cannot access that type and cast as it? There may be, in which case this is a C# question and can be moved to the C# forum to be addressed in a manner specific to C#. If there isn't, it's a VB question because you should be using early-binding in the VB code first and then the conversion to C# is a doddle.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    That's not an answer to the question I asked. The issue here is that you are declaring objectValue as type Object and so you only have compile-time access to members of that type. The object that you are assigning to that variable is obviously a more specific type and you want to access a member - seemingly a range field or property - of that type. In order to access that member without using late-binding, you need to cast a reference to that object as that type. That tells the compiler that it can access members of that type. That is the type I am asking about. You should know what that type is. Once you do know, you can do something like this in VB:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Dim objectValue = DirectCast(WebBrowser1.Document.InvokeScript("z"), SomeType)
    The variable is then the correct type so you can use early-binding to access members of that type. The equivalent in C# would be this:
    csharp Code:
    1. var objectValue = (SomeType) WebBrowser1.Document.InvokeScript("z");
    Is there a reason that you cannot access that type and cast as it? There may be, in which case this is a C# question and can be moved to the C# forum to be addressed in a manner specific to C#. If there isn't, it's a VB question because you should be using early-binding in the VB code first and then the conversion to C# is a doddle.
    My VB.NET code doesn't have cast because we used Late binding:
    Code:
    Dim objectValue As Object =  AddressOf WebBrowser1.Document.InvokeScript("z")
    While Not Information.IsDBNull(NewLateBinding.LateGet(objectValue, Nothing, "range", New Object(- 1) {}, Nothing, Nothing, Nothing))

Dim singleWord As String = Conversions.ToString(NewLateBinding.LateGet(objectValue, Nothing, "word", New Object(- 1) {}, Nothing, Nothing, Nothing))

End While
    Edited: forgot to mention that InvokeScript("z") function is to execute a short javascript codes and return a custom object.
    Code:
    function z() 
    {
           var t = document.body.createTextRange();
           var a = t.duplicate();
           //...          
           return 
           {
              range : a,
              word: a.text,
              index: y
           };
    }
    so, for my case, how to retrieve objectValue's range/word/index without using NewLateBinding.LateGet?
    Last edited by DaveDavis; Dec 1st, 2020 at 08:00 AM.