Thread: How to programmatically force a WM_SIZING message

Lively Member

How to programmatically force a WM_SIZING message

Hi, I have a resizable form that must maintain one of two fixed aspect ratios. Depending on menu selection, the form must be width = height or width = 2 * height. I have subclassed WM_SIZING, and have it working perfectly. Well, almost. I have yet figure out how, when changing menu settings, how to force a WM_SIZING message so that the form automatically adjusts to the new aspect ratio. Currently, I change the menu settings and have to click the mouse on the border of the form to get it to change aspect ratio. How to automate that? I'm sure it's simple, but it escapes me. TIA, Bob.

Re: How to programmatically force a WM_SIZING message

Quote Originally Posted by K4CY View Post
    how to force a WM_SIZING message so that the form automatically adjusts to the new aspect ratio.
    You mean WM_SIZE message probably. Just refactor your WM_SIZE code into a separate function which accepts hWnd, NewWidth and NewHeight as parameters and call it both on WM_SIZE and from your menu settings code.

You cannot force the OS to send WM_SIZE without actually resizing the window with MoveWindow/SetWindowPos functions. For instance if you call SetWindowPos with current width/height the WM_SIZE notification is *not* sent.

Another option would be to manually call SendMessage w/ WM_SIZE and pass current width/height and correct flags in wParam/lParam but that would be considered sloppy practice at best.

cheers,
    </wqw>

I'd probably subclass the form, monitoring for WM_GETMINMAXINFO and then do what I wanted in the subclass procedure.

You could set some global variables about whether the aspect ratio is 1 or 0.5 (which is what you've outlined above). I'd probably also save some static variables (saving the prior width and height). Using those statics, you could figure out whether the user is changing the width or height, and then change the other accordingly. If the user is adjusting from a corner, you'd need to make a decision to pick either width or height as the user-changing dimension.

Here, I'll post some incomplete code that gets close to doing what you're suggesting.

The subclass procedure (and support):

Code:

Option Explicit

Private Const WM_DESTROY                As Long = &H2&  ' All other needed constants are declared within the procedures.
    '
    Private Declare Function SetWindowSubclass Lib "comctl32.dll" Alias "#410" (ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal pfnSubclass As Long, ByVal uIdSubclass As Long, Optional ByVal dwRefData As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function RemoveWindowSubclass Lib "comctl32.dll" Alias "#412" (ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal pfnSubclass As Long, ByVal uIdSubclass As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function NextSubclassProcOnChain Lib "comctl32.dll" Alias "#413" (ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal uMsg As Long, ByVal wParam As Long, ByVal lParam As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Sub CopyMemory Lib "kernel32" Alias "RtlMoveMemory" (ByRef Dest As Any, ByRef Source As Any, ByVal Bytes As Long)
    '
    Private Type POINTAPI
        x As Long
        Y As Long
    End Type
    Private Type MINMAXINFO
        ptReserved As POINTAPI
        ptMaxSize As POINTAPI
        ptMaxPosition As POINTAPI
        ptMinTrackSize As POINTAPI
        ptMaxTrackSize As POINTAPI
    End Type
    '

Public Sub SubclassForMinMaxInfo(frm As VB.Form)   ' Call this one to get the form subclassed.
        ' MUST be done in Form_Load event so Windows doesn't resize form on small monitors.
        ' Also, move (such as center) the form after calling so that WM_GETMINMAXINFO is fired.
        SubclassSomeWindow frm.hWnd, AddressOf MinMax_Proc
    End Sub

Private Function MinMax_Proc(ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal uMsg As Long, ByVal wParam As Long, ByVal lParam As Long, ByVal uIdSubclass As Long, ByVal dwRefData As Long) As Long
        If uMsg = WM_DESTROY Then
            UnSubclassSomeWindow hWnd, AddressOf_MinMax_Proc, uIdSubclass
            MinMax_Proc = NextSubclassProcOnChain(hWnd, uMsg, wParam, lParam)
            Exit Function
        End If
        '
        Dim MMI As MINMAXINFO
        Const WM_GETMINMAXINFO As Long = &H24&
        '
        Select Case uMsg
        Case WM_GETMINMAXINFO
            '
            CopyMemory MMI, ByVal lParam, LenB(MMI)

' You can change these herein:

'MMI.ptMinTrackSize.x = ????
            'MMI.ptMinTrackSize.Y = ????
            'MMI.ptMaxTrackSize.x = ????
            'MMI.ptMaxTrackSize.Y = ????

' And then, put it back.
            CopyMemory ByVal lParam, MMI, LenB(MMI)

Exit Function ' If we process the message, we must return 0 and not let more subclass procedures execute.
        End Select
        '
        ' Give control to other procs, if they exist.
    End Function

Private Function AddressOf_MinMax_Proc() As Long
        AddressOf_MinMax_Proc = ProcedureAddress(AddressOf MinMax_Proc)
    End Function

Private Function ProcedureAddress(AddressOf_TheProc As Long) As Long
        ' A private "helper" function for writing the AddressOf_... functions (see above notes).
        ProcedureAddress = AddressOf_TheProc
    End Function

Private Sub SubclassSomeWindow(hWnd As Long, AddressOf_ProcToSubclass As Long, Optional dwRefData As Long, Optional uIdSubclass As Long)
        If uIdSubclass = 0& Then uIdSubclass = hWnd
        Call SetWindowSubclass(hWnd, AddressOf_ProcToSubclass, uIdSubclass, dwRefData)
    End Sub

Private Sub UnSubclassSomeWindow(hWnd As Long, AddressOf_ProcToSubclass As Long, Optional uIdSubclass As Long)
        ' Be careful, some subclassing may require additional cleanup that's not done here.
        Call RemoveWindowSubclass(hWnd, AddressOf_ProcToSubclass, uIdSubclass)
    End Sub

EDIT: To force a certain size, just set min and max the same for that dimension. You'd have to remove those restrictions for the dimension you're actually resizing.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

I've been playing with it, and I think subclassing on WM_SIZE would be easier. In fact, now I'm wondering if it all can be done in the Resize event, although that might flicker.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Here, I did it for a 1-to-1 aspect ratio using WM_GETMINMAXINFO. The nice thing about WM_GETMINMAXINFO is that you get it before the form is resized (so, reduced flickering).

Here's code for a module (BAS):

Code:

Option Explicit

Private Const WM_DESTROY                As Long = &H2&  ' All other needed constants are declared within the procedures.
    '
    Private Type RECT
        Left   As Long
        Top    As Long
        Right  As Long ' This is +1 (right - left = width)
        Bottom As Long ' This is +1 (bottom - top = height)
    End Type
    '
    Private Declare Function SetWindowSubclass Lib "comctl32.dll" Alias "#410" (ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal pfnSubclass As Long, ByVal uIdSubclass As Long, Optional ByVal dwRefData As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function RemoveWindowSubclass Lib "comctl32.dll" Alias "#412" (ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal pfnSubclass As Long, ByVal uIdSubclass As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function NextSubclassProcOnChain Lib "comctl32.dll" Alias "#413" (ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal uMsg As Long, ByVal wParam As Long, ByVal lParam As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Sub CopyMemory Lib "kernel32" Alias "RtlMoveMemory" (ByRef Dest As Any, ByRef Source As Any, ByVal Bytes As Long)
    Private Declare Function GetWindowRect Lib "user32" (ByVal hWnd As Long, lpRect As RECT) As Long
    '
    Private Type POINTAPI
        x As Long
        Y As Long
    End Type
    Private Type MINMAXINFO
        ptReserved As POINTAPI
        ptMaxSize As POINTAPI
    End Type
    '
    Private mlPriorWidth As Long
    '

Public Sub SubclassForMinMaxInfo(frm As VB.Form)   ' Call this one to get the form subclassed.
        ' MUST be done in Form_Load event so Windows doesn't resize form on small monitors.
        ' Also, move (such as center) the form after calling so that WM_GETMINMAXINFO is fired.
        mlPriorWidth = WindowWidthInPixels(frm.hWnd)
    End Sub

Private Function MinMax_Proc(ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal uMsg As Long, ByVal wParam As Long, ByVal lParam As Long, ByVal uIdSubclass As Long, ByVal dwRefData As Long) As Long
            Exit Function
        End If
        '
        Dim MMI As MINMAXINFO
        Const WM_GETMINMAXINFO As Long = &H24&
        '
        Select Case uMsg
        Case WM_GETMINMAXINFO
            '
            CopyMemory MMI, ByVal lParam, LenB(MMI)
            Static iCount  As Long
            If iCount = 0& Then
                iCount = iCount + 1&
                Dim r           As RECT
                GetWindowRect hWnd, r
                If (r.Right - r.Left) <> mlPriorWidth Then
                    ' We're trying to change width.
                    MMI.ptMinTrackSize.x = 0&
                    MMI.ptMaxTrackSize.x = &HFFFFFF
                    MMI.ptMinTrackSize.Y = r.Right - r.Left
                    MMI.ptMaxTrackSize.Y = r.Right - r.Left
                    mlPriorWidth = r.Right - r.Left
                    Exit Function ' If we process the message, we must return 0 and not let more subclass procedures execute.
                Else
                    MMI.ptMinTrackSize.x = r.Bottom - r.Top
                    MMI.ptMaxTrackSize.x = r.Bottom - r.Top
                    MMI.ptMinTrackSize.Y = 0&
                    MMI.ptMaxTrackSize.Y = &HFFFFFF
                End If
            Else
                iCount = iCount - 1&
            End If
        End Select
        '
    End Function

End Function

' A private "helper" function for writing the AddressOf_... functions (see above notes).
    End Function

Private Sub SubclassSomeWindow(hWnd As Long, AddressOf_ProcToSubclass As Long, Optional dwRefData As Long, Optional uIdSubclass As Long)
    End Sub

Private Sub UnSubclassSomeWindow(hWnd As Long, AddressOf_ProcToSubclass As Long, Optional uIdSubclass As Long)
        ' Be careful, some subclassing may require additional cleanup that's not done here.
    End Sub

Private Function WindowWidthInPixels(hWndOfInterest As Long) As Long
        Dim r As RECT
        GetWindowRect hWndOfInterest, r
        WindowWidthInPixels = r.Right - r.Left ' Not sure why, but the +1 is not needed.
    End Function

And here's all I have in my form:

Code:

Option Explicit

Private Sub Form_Load()
        SubclassForMinMaxInfo Me
    End Sub

EDIT: Ok, I didn't quite have it working. I changed the BAS module code, and it's now "sort of" working, but I've now got a bad flicker. I think I just need to resize rather than forcing it with min/max.
    Last edited by Elroy; Dec 1st, 2020 at 03:16 PM.

Here it is, trying to use WM_SIZE, but I still don't have it quite right. I'm hungry though and going to get some lunch:

Code:

Option Explicit

'
    Private Type RECT
        Left   As Long
        Top    As Long
        Right  As Long ' This is +1 (right - left = width)
        Bottom As Long ' This is +1 (bottom - top = height)
    End Type
    '
    Private Declare Function GetWindowRect Lib "user32" (ByVal hWnd As Long, lpRect As RECT) As Long
    Private Declare Function MoveWindow Lib "user32" (ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal x As Long, ByVal Y As Long, ByVal nWidth As Long, ByVal nHeight As Long, Optional ByVal bRepaint As Long = 1&) As Long
    '
    Private Type POINTAPI
        x As Long
        Y As Long
    End Type
    Private Type MINMAXINFO
        ptReserved As POINTAPI
        ptMaxSize As POINTAPI
    End Type
    '
    Private mlPriorWidth As Long
    '

mlPriorWidth = WindowWidthInPixels(frm.hWnd)
    End Sub

Exit Function
        End If
        '
        Dim MMI As MINMAXINFO
        Const WM_SIZE As Long = &H5&
        '
        Select Case uMsg
        Case WM_SIZE
            Static iCount  As Long
            If iCount = 0& Then
                iCount = iCount + 1&
                Dim r           As RECT
                GetWindowRect hWnd, r
                If (r.Right - r.Left) <> mlPriorWidth Then
                    r.Bottom = (r.Right - r.Left) + r.Top
                    mlPriorWidth = r.Right - r.Left
                Else
                    r.Right = (r.Bottom - r.Top) + r.Left
                End If
                MoveWindow hWnd, r.Left, r.Top, r.Right - r.Left, r.Bottom - r.Top
            Else
                iCount = iCount - 1&
            End If
        End Select
        '
    End Function

End Function

End Function

End Sub

End Sub

Private Function WindowWidthInPixels(hWndOfInterest As Long) As Long
        Dim r As RECT
        GetWindowRect hWndOfInterest, r
        WindowWidthInPixels = r.Right - r.Left ' Not sure why, but the +1 is not needed.
    End Function

It'd be nice if we could "catch" it and know what the new size is going to be but before it actually changes it.

It's actually pretty simple: lParam of the WM_SIZING message is the "address of a RECT structure with the screen coordinates of the drag rectangle. To change the size or position of the drag rectangle, an application must change the members of this structure".
    So you get the width via rc.right-rc.left, multiply it with your fixed factor to get the height, then add rc.top to the height, and voilĂ : rc.bottom. Works like a charm