Thread: Loading Windows and Custom Fonts Into Combobox

Hyperactive Member

Loading Windows and Custom Fonts Into Combobox

Hello I am creating a Chat Program and need some help with fonts. I have a combobox that I would like to populate with fonts but had some questions about how to do it.
    How can use I fonts that will be available for all windows versions?
    How can I install custom fonts and use them in my program as well as populate them in my combobox?
    I want all your typical windows fonts like Arial, Comic Sans MS, Courier New, Tahoma, Microsoft Sans Serif, Times New Roman, Verdana, Webdings, Wingdings but be able to use custom fonts as well..

Re: Loading Windows and Custom Fonts Into Combobox

This was the first result when I searched the web for "vb.net combobox fonts":

https://www.codeproject.com/articles...bo-box-for-net

Seems like a good place to start. I'm surprised that you missed it when you did you own search.

With regards to using custom fonts, what did you find when you searched for "vb.net windows forms custom fonts" or the like and what did you not understand? If you understand how to access custom fonts and you either use the control in the previous post or some of the code from it to access standard fonts, I doubt that combining the two would be too difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    This was the first result when I searched the web for "vb.net combobox fonts":

https://www.codeproject.com/articles...bo-box-for-net

Seems like a good place to start. I'm surprised that you missed it when you did you own search.
    If you don't want to just use the control as is but would rather either implement it in VB or use some of the code in VB then you will need to translate the C# code. If you don't want to do that manually, I recommend Instant VB from Tangible Software Solutions. The free version has some limitations but should be enough in this case.

Hyperactive Member

I'm sorry I should have been more descriptive. This will be for a chat client and I am a bit confused myself.. (because I been thinking of email also, even though this is just for chat)

should I..
    1: Try to use fonts that most people have available only? I was thinking in terms of email for some reason but since this is chat only it should be ok..
    2: Use custom fonts? yes..
    3: Use both, Best Option I think..

I can see doing 1, but using custom fonts could also be fine since it is only inside the chatroom and not in email.
    Use both? Well yeah this is probably what I am wanting to do with this..

so I just want to choose fonts that all windows users already have and not populate all their installed fonts since those would not display for other chatroom users..
    it just would not make much sense to do, so I want to just load the ones all windows versions have/use or be able to select from those choices...
    How can I find out which fonts all windows version have and only load those? also be able to select from them if I don't want users to use them all in case I just don't fancy some of the font choices.

after I figure this part then I would need to find custom fonts, download them and then figure out how to include them into my program and not just install them on my machine..
    I just don't want to populate all installed fonts though so I need some help figuring this out.

Thanks