Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Ascii string decoding

Resolved [RESOLVED] Ascii string decoding

Hi All

I have created a data matrix barcode (values differ depending on sql record returned), and when i scan into notepad++ i get:

[)>RS06GSP12345GSQ100GSK50023098GSRSEOT

However scanning into a textbox in my visual studio 2019 app I get:

[)>06P12345Q100K50023098

The barcode has been designed to include record separators (RS) and group separators (GS) and these can be seen in notepad++, however threy are not present when the barcode is scanned into a textbox!! I have a customer requirement and i am totally baffled how to get the GS and RS to show in some shape or form so i can separate the text into the various data it contains.

Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Ascii string decoding

I don't see how we could possibly answer that question with the little information you have provided. Please provide a FULL and CLEAR explanation of the problem. All we can really tell you is that you have done something wrong but, with no idea what you've actually done, we can't tell you what's wrong with it.

Hi "jm"

Not sure what else i can tell you! I have created a barcode within a popular software, printed the label, opened the app amd for arguement sake lets say it has one text box.

I click on the textbox so the focus is on that textbox, scan the label and get a a reading without the RS which is a space amd the GS. What i want is some piece of code that i can include which includes the ascii charecters or at least shows me in some shape or form where the GS / RS / EOT are.. not sure what else I can add, as you cant go wrong simply placing a textbox!

Thanks for your time.

Is there a null character in the string (chr(0))? That would truncate your text in a textbox...

PowerPoster

Seems similar to this other fairly recent thread, it might help.

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....ith-Separators

Are those RS and GS instances actually R, G and S ASCII characters or are they something else that doesn't actually have a visual representation?

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    Seems similar to this other fairly recent thread, it might help.

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....ith-Separators
    That thread was created by the same member as this one.

It is entirely possible that it's simply how the TextBox chooses to render text when these characters are present:-

The above image shows a TextBox's input which was generated by this code:-
    vbnet Code:
    1. '
    2.     Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    4.         Dim s As String = ChrW(29) + "AB" + ChrW(30) + "C"
    6.         TextBox1.Text = s
    8.         Debug.WriteLine(TextBox1.Text)
    10.     End Sub

Notice that the TextBox completely ignores the GS and RS characters but the debugger doesn't. This suggests that the characters are in the String and the TextBox is simply choosing not to display them. However, do not assume this is what is happening in your case. The Barcode scanner is inputting these characters directly into the TextBox where as I am setting the Text property. For all we know when these characters are being inputted, they are ignored. You will have to test TextBox.Text yourself to see if the characters are actually in the String if they were input from the barcode scanner.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Are those RS and GS instances actually R, G and S ASCII characters or are they something else that doesn't actually have a visual representation?
    No. They are special ASCII characters being inputted by the Barcode scanner:-

It can be inferred from the OP's post that NotePad++ chooses to render them as RS, GS etc. but they are actually non-printable characters.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    That thread was created by the same member as this one.
    LOL...oops.

Thank you for your responses guys.

@Paul - I don't think there are null charecters, will double check though.
    @Niya - Good test and spot, thank you! Will try this and get back to you.

Yes, it was myself who started the other thread, I marked it as complete as it gave me what I wanted at the time. As per that thread, I replaced all the GS with RS which gave me a the "space" charecter which i was then able to use to break the string apart. However subsequently been told the approved barcode contains GS and this is what will be scanned.

Thank you for your time.

Hi @Niya

How did you get what appears to be a drop down with immediate window and the "debug" value? I have a group of tabs at the bottom, one of which is immediate window but I don't think it's that.
    Thank you in advance

Sinecure devotee

Depending on the settings, Debug.WriteLine will either write to the Immediate window, which is the one you are looking at. Sometimes, I have to scroll up in the window to see what was printed initially.
    But the IDE can also be set to have Debug.WriteLine write to the Output window. So, look at your Output window to see if the debug output is going there.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    But the IDE can also be set to have Debug.WriteLine write to the Output window.
    - thank you "Passel", that's exactly where it was.
    Will scan the barcode at work tomorrow and then check the output window, here is hoping it contains the decoded values.

I copied the value I got within notepad ++ into the code where I was setting the value of the textbox (via variable s - see previous posts) and I could see the group and record separators.

My question I guess is when I start the application tomorrow and scan the barcode into textbox one, will the resulting value appear in the output, just looking at above if it is at debug time then this would have already passed.
    Will update tomorrow, but least I can see record separators and group separators within visual studio which is a plus.

I am then hoping the values I see in the output window can be "passed" into another textbox (textbox2) from which I can then split out the various data. Thanking you all for your time thus far.
    Last edited by AMJADJ75; Nov 29th, 2020 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AMJADJ75 View Post
    I am then hoping the values I see in the output window can be "passed" into another textbox (textbox2) from which I can then split out the various data.
    No, no, no. You're missing the point. The fact that the TextBox is not displaying those characters doesn't mean that they aren't there. The Text of the TextBox is a String and that String still contains those characters and it is that String that you need to work with. If the character is there then you can spit on it, whether you can see it in the UI or not.

I get the fact that just because it does not display them does not mean they are not there! But if my textbox is showing [)>06P12345Q100K50023098

So before the first P I should have a group seprator and another before the Q. Therefore the charecters between P+1 and Q-1 will give me my part number. I cant use the Q in case my part number ends with a Q, so of i cant physically see a charecter representing the group seprator, i cannot tell where each data set begins and ends. Hence why I was hoping I can push the a string with the charecters representing GS and RS into another textbox....

Thank you for your time

I get the fact that just because it does not display them does not mean they are not there!
    Apparently you don't because, if you did, you wouldn't have said this:
    But if my textbox is showing [)>06P12345Q100K50023098

So before the first P I should have a group seprator and another before the Q. Therefore the charecters between P+1 and Q-1 will give me my part number. I cant use the Q in case my part number ends with a Q, so of i cant physically see a charecter representing the group seprator, i cannot tell where each data set begins and ends.
    Of course you can tell. You don't have to be able to see them to write code to use them. The Text of the TextBox is a String. Get that String and call IndexOf to get the indexes of the characters you're interested in and then use Substring to get the text between those indexes. You already know what the ASCII codes are for those separator characters so you already have everything you need.
    vb.net Code:
    1. Dim groupSeparator = Convert.ToChar(29)
    2. Dim recordSeparator = Convert.ToChar(30)
    3. Dim barcode = myTextBox.Text
    4. Dim recordSeparatorIndex = barcode.IndexOf(recordSeparator)
    5. Dim groupSeparatorIndex = barcode.IndexOf(groupSeparator)
    6. Dim partNumberIndex = recordSeparatorIndex + 1
    7. Dim partNumberLength = groupSeparatorIndex - recordSeparatorIndex - 1
    8. Dim partNumber = barcode.Substring(partNumberIndex, partNumberLength)

Thank You JM.

I have now performed the testing and I am afraid it is back to square one (as I was with my previous thread) here is a summary:

-- > When I scan the barcode into notepad ++, I am seeing both group and record separators
    -- > When I copy this data from notepad ++ into my application's code (assigning a variable) I can see the group and record separators
    -- > When I scan the barcode into textbox1 and then pass the text in this to write line to debug, I can only see record separators, which explains why I had changed all GS to RS in my previous post.

When I scan the barcode using the same scanner in two other applications (notepad ++ and a internal software) I am getting both RS and GS therefore, I think it is fair to say it is not the scanner? This is just baffling me!
    Visual studio recognises Group Separators When hard coded but not when scanned into a textbox

Any assistance would be massively appreciated.

Thank You JM.

I have now performed the testing and I am afraid it is back to square one (as I was with my previous thread) here is a summary:

-- > When I scan the barcode into notepad ++, I am seeing both group and record separators
    -- > When I copy this data from notepad ++ into my application's code (assigning a variable) I can see the group and record separators
    -- > When I scan the barcode into textbox1 and then pass the text in this to write line to debug, I can only see record separators, which explains why I had changed all GS to RS in my previous post.

When I scan the barcode using the same scanner in two other applications (notepad ++ and a internal software) I am getting both RS and GS therefore, I think it is fair to say it is not the scanner? This is just baffling me!
    Visual studio recognises Group Separators When hard coded but not when scanned into a textbox

Any assistance would be massively appreciated.
    To verify what is in the textbox

Code:
            Debug.WriteLine("---------------------")
            For Each c As Char In TextBox1.Text
                Dim s As String
                s = String.Format("Char: {0} Ascii code: {1}", c, Asc(c))
                Debug.WriteLine(s)
            Next
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Attachment 179434

Please see attached for outcome, it can be seen, when scanning directly into the textbox the GS are not there but when the text from notepad++ is copied into the textbox the GS are present (arrow)
    hope this makes sense - thank you for your time in replying.