Thread: Testing SQL database

Addicted Member

Testing SQL database

Hi, I use to work with a access database, but i would like to use a SQL database for my project. I have no experience with SQL and have som questions about this.

Checked mySQL, but the setup of this is not clear to me.
    Working in C#.

Does anyone have tips or links that could be helpfull for someone without prior knowledge of SQL?
    Is there a way that i can set up a SQL test database just to find out how this works?

Re: Testing SQL database

Firstly, it's important to understand what SQL is and is not. If you used Access then you were already using SQL, because SQL is the language that pretty much all databases use to manipulate data in queries. Other database systems use SQL for the same purpose, including SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL and others. The term "SQL database" is basically meaningless. Unfortunately, many people use the term lazily when they actually mean SQL Server, so you can't tell whether it actually means SQL server or something else. Are you actually talking about SQL Server or MySQL or something else? You should work it out and then always use the proper name to avoid confusion.

Addicted Member

Thank you for the information. I actually knew that most Databases use SQL, but did not realise that it was wrong / unclear to formulate my question like i did. I want it to be accessble from several locations so i asume i need more like SQL server.

It's possible to have multiple clients connecting to an Access database but it's generally not a great idea. Using a proper server-based RDBMS is a better option. SQL Server is often the first option that .NET developers should consider, because it is a Microsoft product and the developer-oriented LocalDB edition comes with VS. You can install the free SQL Server Express or a paid-for edition on a server and have any clients on the same network connect to it. You can also have a web site or web service connect to it and thus expose the data on the internet. If you use commercial web hosting then SQL Server may be an option but MySQL is the most likely option. There are others, including Oracle and PostgreSQL, that each have their pros and cons. From the perspective of a .NET developer, it doesn't matter too much what the data is as ADO.NET works in pretty much exactly the same way regardless. The connection strings will differ and there may be minor differences in SQL code but the pattern of the code will be exactly the same regardless.