Thread: [RESOLVED] Method '~' of object '~' fix

Resolved [RESOLVED] Method '~' of object '~' fix

I fixed it, but now I've forgotten how. Sometime in the last few months, someone made a post on how to fix most of those Method '~' of object '~' errors when loading the IDE, and now I can't find the post for the life of me.

If I remember correctly, it had something to do with disabling the DataView from within the IDE, and possibly making some zero sized DLL in SysWOW, but I still can't find the post.

Does anyone remember what I'm talking about?
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

PowerPoster

Re: Method '~' of object '~' fix

That error can crop up in many places. If you encounter it when starting VB6.exe it is usually due to a flawed add-in. The Data View window is not an add-in.

Re: Method '~' of object '~' fix

Yeah, I know that the DataView isn't the only thing that causes the error, but I think that's one of the main places. There's some kind of interaction with MS-Office that happens there (possibly with DAO350 (not 360)) that's going on there, that's just not at all necessary for the VB6 IDE.

And OptionBase1, thanks. That's exactly the thread I was looking for. I think it was hard to find because the problem was a picture, and the word "method" doesn't appear in the thread.

All resolved now.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

Re: [RESOLVED] Method '~' of object '~' fix

No, the Data View window is entirely ADO based. It has to be, since it was added primarily to support SQL Server and for Jet or ACE it uses SQL-92 syntax in the Query Builder and other places such as property pages.

There is no association with any MS Office application or DAO at all.

Well, I haven't seen any of it in a while, but on several occasions, I'd tamper with either MS-Office and/or the VB6 IDE, and the VB6 IDE would start doing these weird things with MS-Office, trying to re-install parts of it. Maybe that's all a separate issue, but I always thought it was somehow associated with these "Method '~' of object '~'" errors. In any event, the "Method '~' of object '~'" errors are annoying enough in their own right, and to know how to get rid of them is a good find for me.

PowerPoster

Personally the only startup errors I have saw in VB were when I forgot to set the run as admin property on it. I do not have any of the newer versions of Office installed. This PC has Office XP on it and Windows 7. No issues at all with VB. Same when it was on XP. No issues there either. My newer machine with Windows 10 does not have MS Office on it. I rarely use VB6 on the new box but I saw no issues with it once I got it and SP6 properly installed.

I have in the past saw issues where a message would pop up saying it needs to install something from the CD, been ages but I think that was an issue when I had Office 2003 installed and went away when I reverted back to 2002 version.

I would think the issue here is directly related to some version of office that is installed or perhaps even the options that were selected when Office was installed.