Thread: Apply filter and import results.

Addicted Member

Apply filter and import results.

Hi.

i have a file that is saved down to a particular folder that I wish to import.

w:\.team documents\freehold team\freeholders managers\reporting\reports\Insurance Ledger.csv

However I don't want to import the whole file because its too big.

Instead I want to only import data after I have applied a filter on particular column headers.

Column Header Filter to apply

Insurance Type Buildings - Property Owners

Status Active
    Status Scheduled

Once the filters have been applied. Import columns A:S and paste special value into tab Insurance.

Thanks

PowerPoster

Re: Apply filter and import results.

i would probably use sql to query the data and import

post some sample data
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Addicted Member

Hello.

Yes SQL would probably be easier but that would involve setting up a database which is not possible.

I've included attachments.

Here you can see the data I wish to import and I 've highlighted the columns i wish to filter.

Attachment 179399

Now you can see the first filter I've applied in Column B.

Attachment 179400

Second filter applied in Column P. Once all the filters have been applied. Import the whole file and paste into tab called Insurance.

Attachment 179401

PowerPoster

es SQL would probably be easier but that would involve setting up a database which is not possible.
    you can also query against a worksheet
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

pete

Addicted Member

ok fair enough. Not sure how to do that though. Would prefer to code it via VBA. That would be my preference

PowerPoster

none of your attachments can be opened

this is just proof of concept, using sql in VBA, you will need a reference to ADO (activex data objects)
    Code:
    Sub csvsql()
    Dim cn As Connection, rs As Recordset, cat As ADOX.Catalog

Set cn = New Connection
    Set rs = New Recordset
    Set cat = New Catalog
    mypath = "w:\.team documents\freehold team\freeholders managers\reporting\reports\"

With cn
                .Provider = "microsoft.ace.oledb.12.0;data source=" & mypath & ";" & _
                "Extended properties='text;hdr=no;fmt=csvdelimited'"
                .Open
            End With
    rs.Open "select * from Insurance Ledger.csv where Insurance Type Buildings - Property Owners = 'john' ", cn    ' as it contains spaces the filename, it may require brackets
    '  you can use a where clause in the above line to do the filtering on multiple columns

Sheets("insurance").Range("a1").CopyFromRecordset rs    'copy the recordset to whatever desired cell
    rs.close
    cn.close
    End Sub

pete

Addicted Member

Thanks for that. Very interested in this.

Just want to understand for my own learning. Why is it preferable to use SQL for this particular problem?

I've now included a workbook so we can test the new VBA code.

Insurance example.zip

PowerPoster

Why is it preferable to use SQL
    faster than looping cells and does not in any way change any data in worksheet, selecting on multiple criteria much easier
    downside is you can not copy any formatting, only data

i tested this, appeared to work correctly, returned 3 records
    Code:
            With cn
                .Provider = "microsoft.ace.oledb.12.0;data source=" & ActiveWorkbook.FullName & ";" & _
                "Extended properties='Excel 12.0; header  = yes'"

'            .Provider = "microsoft.ace.oledb.12.0;data source=" & mypath & ";" & _
                .Open
            End With
    rs.Open "select * from [Insurance Ledger$] where [Insurance type]='Buildings - Property Owners' and (Status='Active'or Status='Scheduled') ", cn

Sheets("insurance").Range("a1").CopyFromRecordset rs
    note as the sample data is in a worksheet now, not .csv, i had to change the connection string, should work fine with previous connection string, commented out above

pete

Addicted Member

ok the below code is breaking.

cat As ADOX.Catalog

I presume I need to reference this somehow. Which option do I select in the tools>reference table?

PowerPoster

yes it would require a reference, BUT
    you can delete that line, as while i was using a catalog for testing, is not used in the finished code
    you must also delete the line Set cat = New Catalog, as it will also error

pete

Addicted Member

Ok I'm getting an error message on this line..... - No value given for one or more required parameters

rs.Open "select * from [Insurance Ledger.csv] where [Type]='Buildings - Property Owners' and [Status]='Active' or [Status]='Scheduled'", cn

Sub Insurance()

Dim cn As Connection, rs As Recordset

Set cn = New Connection
    Set rs = New Recordset
    mypath = "W:\.Team documents\Freehold team\Freehold managers\Reporting\Reports"

With cn
    .Open
    End With
    rs.Open "select * from [Insurance Ledger.csv] where [Type]='Buildings - Property Owners' and [Status]='Active' or [Status]='Scheduled'", cn

Sheets("Insurance").Range("a1").CopyFromRecordset rs
    rs.Close
    cn.Close

PowerPoster

please always use code tags when posting code, much better for me to see

i tested all the code with the sample file you posted, but that was using a worksheet for the source data as supplied in the sample
    i had done some other testing on .csv files and would expect that to with the code as posted directly above,
    if you post a .csv, i can test with that, i will not create a .csv file here for testing as it may not be a correct sample (been there, done that)

i just noticed you are missing the required brackets on the status alternatives, put them in and test again

pete

Addicted Member

Hi. Sorry. Not sure what you mean by posting with code tags??

I've attached a new zip file that includes a CSV file which hopefully you can test.

Is it better to use "microsoft.Jet.oledb. rather than microsoft.ace.oledb for csv files? Does it depend on what version of Excel I'm running?

Once tested can you post the full code?

Thanks for doing this
    Attached Files Attached Files

PowerPoster

Is it better to use "microsoft.Jet.oledb. rather than microsoft.ace.oledb for csv files? Does it depend on what version of Excel I'm running?
    jet is the older version and may not work with all versions of excel, but probably no difference for .csv files

pete

PowerPoster

here is a tested code using your .csv source file, i was of course using a different path
    Code:
    Dim cn As Connection, rs As Recordset
    Set cn = New Connection
    Set rs = New Recordset
    mypath = "w:\.team documents\freehold team\freeholders managers\reporting\reports\"
            With cn
                "Extended properties='text;hdr=yes;fmt=csvdelimited'"
                .Open
            End With
            rs.Open "select * from [Insurance example.csv] where [Insurance type]='Buildings - Property Owners' and (Status='Active'or Status='Scheduled') ", cn
            Sheets("insurance").Range("a1").CopyFromRecordset rs
            rs.close
            cn.close
    the code tags around the code improve the appearance and readability of the code
    Last edited by westconn1; Dec 9th, 2020 at 03:41 AM.

pete

Addicted Member

Hi,

Code breaks on the below line.

The microsoft access database engine cannot open or write to the file ". It is already opened exclusively by another user , or you need permission to view and write its data.

rs.Open "select * from [Insurance example.csv] where [Insurance type]='Buildings - Property Owners' and (Status='Active'or Status='Scheduled') ", cn

PowerPoster

do you or someone else already have the file open?
    it is a very specific error, unlike the previous one

pete

Addicted Member

Ok nearly there. Problem has been fixed.

Just one further requirement. I need the column headers in the CSV file to be copied over as well.

PowerPoster

try this in place of the copyfromrecordset line
    Code:
    with Sheets("insurance").Range("a1")
        for col =  0 to rs.fields.count
             .offset(,col) = rs.fields(col).name
        next
        .offset(1).copyfromrecordset rs
    end with

pete