Thread: Planet Source Code New Improved CD Reader (no database)

Lively Member

Planet Source Code New Improved CD Reader (no database)

I have finished my new reader for the planet source code archives. This new reader does not require any outdated database drivers (or new drivers). It works entirely with an included CSV. This is a good alternative to the included reader thing. I'm not sure if it's actually better cause the included reader doesn't work for me and is why I made this. If you have any problems installing database drivers or just don't want them, then this is for you.

It works with the archive you can download here. You will find the subfolders called .\Data\Pics and .\Data\Zips empty in this download. You need to place all the zip files from this post in there. They may not be 100% the same. I really hope they are. I downloaded the 7 CDs myself and converted into zip. Whats in the download linked in this post is altered, so hopefully they didn't put different stuff in there. Please let me know if you have problems. This program can be made to work with other versions of the archive also. So if you have a different mdb file with newer content, send it to me and I can make this working with it.
    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....o-Resource-CDs

There is a search feature (with whole string or each term option), category selection, image viewer, and zip file extractor. In order for the zip function to work, you need to have installed 7-zip. You will need 7-zip to open this download also. Everyone should use it at this point. It's free and better than WinRAR.

It uses .NET 4.0. I believe that is included in Windows 10, but not 100% sure. I use 7 and XP and confirm it is working on both of those. If it's not working on 10, tell me and I'll make a release with a different version of framework.

NEW Link for Download:
    http://dosaidsoft.com/wp/2020/11/19/...new-cd-reader/

Here's it running on Windows XP 32-bit (I love old software if you can't tell):
    Last edited by veebee123; Nov 19th, 2020 at 01:34 PM. Reason: updated link with source

Lively Member

Re: Planet Source Code New Improved CD Reader (no database)

Wrong section.

This section is for source code written in VB 6.0.
    NOT for EXE written in VB.NET!

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeoFar View Post
    Wrong section.

This section is for source code written in VB 6.0.
    NOT for EXE written in VB.NET!
    I am aware. Please understand that this is an archive of VB6 software, and if I put this in .NET people are not going to find it properly.

I really hope you understand. If there is a problem with EXE content, I can move that elsewhere. But I appreciate if you please do not delete.

Lively Member

I just tested on Windows 10. It appears working. There is one small potential problem. For some reason it rarely opens the whole list of zips instead of the one you selected in 7-zip. If it does that, that's not normal behavior; it should open the specific one you selected. It only happened once or twice after many though.
    Some of the zips don't open and I think they are missing, but I can't help that. (BTW hide-empty doesn't hide empty zips, it simply hides submissions that don't have listed files associated with them, so you may still find zips that don't open or are non-existent.)

Lively Member

For me it doesn't work... i have downloaded the 7 cd pack extracted to data subfolder...but NO on open zip
    can you reshare the source to take a look what is wrong ?

Frenzied Member

I think I was the first to provide vbforums with the links to download the 7 CDs (from my Google Drive).
    At my advanced age lethargy is one of my problems, so I have not gotten around to trying out the subsequent contributions by vbforums members.
    I cannot see how many downloads there have been of your reader (thanks for sharing it)
    If there are a lot of members using it, perhaps you could get it to show where the zip is no good (missing/corrupt)
    And we could encourage our members to provide copies of their working version of the zip.
    Rob
    PS I too use XP 95% of the time
    I have a PC with W10, and another with W8.1, which I use (when I have to)
    You should give W8.1 a try.
    W8 was a mess, but W8.1 is great
    I use Classic Shell's Start Menu, and disable indexinng, and use Avast Free (to disable Defender, which we have far too little control over)

Lively Member

Edit...my bad i missed the 7Zip requirement...now it works fine