Thread: posting trouble

posting trouble

Just wondering if you have the same trouble than me.
    I have no problem to login, pages are showing fast but when I want to post something in quick or advanced way, then it seems to take forever to refresh the page and even never refresh the page and I finish with a bad gateway message. I thought first that It didn't work but in fact it posted it (see the two messages in the test area). Well one time it didn't work.
    it does that for a couple of days.

So I was wondering if it is on my side (Mozzilla) or on the forum server side?
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

Re: posting trouble

Ok, I tested 2 different computers on different internet access and 2 browsers and I have the problem in each cases. so I guess it is a server problem
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)

Did the error look like this one?
    A Screenshot is always a good idea.

I've seen this one from time to time on Sister Sites and have reported it. It seems to go away within a short period of time.....And I've thought that maybe a backup is being done...

Will be nice to hear if anyone else has seen the error.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I get the timeout error several times a week, but it usually resolves itself in a minute or two.

Yes that is the one. I didn't have it before but I have it always since a few days. I don't wait anymore to have it, I open an other page to check if my post is posted and then I close the first one.

@ Steve and KFC : Thank you for helping

Edit : The problem seems solved as this post was quickly posted

Gotten that a couple times in the past few days... I go back and see that the post did go through, so I don't usually worry about it.
    --tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I think I may have seen that once. More commonly, for the last month, or so, any post has been incredibly slow. The posts eventually DO tend to post, and if I hit submit a second time while waiting for the first to post, I almost immediately get the message that the post is a duplicate, at which point refreshing the page shows the post.

So, what I've been seeing is a very long delay in refreshing the page, though timeouts have happened only once that I can remember. Since clicking the submit button a second time always results in the message about the post being a duplicate, it certainly appears that the post is going through as fast as ever. Navigation between pages is also fast, as Delaney noted, it's just posting something that usually takes a very long time.

Having said that, the definition of very long time is variable. Some posts are fairly prompt (a few seconds). Many are so slow that I go off and do something else, or just re-submit so that I get the (prompt) notice that the post is a duplicate, followed promptly by a display of the thread with the post.

(this particular post showed up in only three to five seconds).
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

test post

test #2

EDIT: I've reported this to the powers that be.

Test to check.

Edit : a few second to refresh. Seems ok now

From the Brass Hat upstairs-> "We upsized the environment ~3 days ago as it did look like it was slammed that could cause the slowdown and 504s."

That happened BEFORE this thread... So please keep an eye out and report back if you see any 504 Errors.

PLEASE LOG ANY and ALL 504 Errors here. (in this thread)

1. Date and Time
    2. Where were you in the site and what were you doing

The 504 Errors and other slowness is universal across all sites... It's not horrible but that want to see the details from us to compare to their system log files.

PowerPoster

I'm getting these 504 Gateway Timeouts whenever I try to post an attachment.

It seems if I re-try a couple times it eventually gets posted.

But trying to attach an image just winds up showing an "attachment #" link instead of inserting the image itself.

On this thread https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....view-Row-Color

Edit: And posting a plain text reply in most threads, but it goes through. I hit 'Resend' then get told its a duplicate since it actually posted.

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    I'm getting these 504 Gateway Timeouts whenever I try to post an attachment.

It seems if I re-try a couple times it eventually gets posted.

But trying to attach an image just winds up showing an "attachment #" link instead of inserting the image itself.

On this thread https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....view-Row-Color

Edit: And posting a plain text reply in most threads, but it goes through. I hit 'Resend' then get told its a duplicate since it actually posted.
    More info please.... One of the attachments in YOUR link is NOT an image.... It's a Zip file.

Shouldn't RESEND give a duplicate error message?

Testing attachments..
    Attached Files Attached Files

504 received at 9:46AM Eastern time. I was coming from the forum root trying to load chit-chat.

504 received at 2:28PM Eastern time. I was coming from the forum root and trying to load chit-chat.

Just got one while wanting to go on the Visual-Basic-NET page. it is 21h30 (french time).

edit : refreshing the page solved the problem immediately (well, after having wrote this)

today - 11:04 EST - Gateway timeout error
    Link: https://www.vbforums.com/newreply.ph...reply&t=889539
    Got the 503 error while doing a quick reply at the above thread.
    The post still went through, but it chugged quite the while before it errored out.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

And again just now when replying to this thread.

-tg

Got a 504 error when I moved a thread from Classic VB to the CodeBank. I was well on my way to another 504 while deleting a different thread. So, this is hitting mod-only functions, as well.

EDIT: Probably would have gotten one on this thread, as well, but after a few seconds I hit Submit again and got the notice that my message was a duplicate of one posted within the last N minutes.

Got a 504 when I tried to post that edit. Re-submitting an edit doesn't have the same "this is a duplicate" safeguard that a new submission has, so the edit could only run till the error.

As far as I can tell, timeouts are now happening on EVERY post. They are certainly happening on every post and action (other than simple navigation) that I have taken today. One will happen on this post, as well, except that I will re-submit and thereby avoid it.

This may not be related, but I'm seeing something not update. I took a couple screen shots, but they suck, so I'll try to describe it.

If I look at the page showing the sub-forums, Chit-Chat shows that the most recent thread and post was something I posted in the Post Race thread. If I then go into Chit-Chat, it shows that not only is the Post Race not the most recent thread, it also shows that Wossy was the most recent poster to the Post Race. That will be true, soon enough, but at the time, it should be showing the post I made to the Post Race.

I was thinking that this was because I got the 504 timeout when I posted to the Post Race. I tried a hard refresh on the browser (Chrome), but that had no impact. I then went into the thread and added another post. This time, before the timeout, I hit the submit button a second time, which gave me the duplicate post message and the new message showed up. That didn't change the fact that Wossy was the most recent person posting in that thread, and the thread wasn't the most recently updated thread in the forum.
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Nov 30th, 2020 at 11:53 AM.

I've asked the IT guys to read through this thread.

I got a 504 error today, here are the details:

DateTime
    2020/12/08 01:28PM CST

Forum
    Visual Basic .NET - https://www.vbforums.com/forumdispla...sual-Basic-NET

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....=1#post5501898

Leading Up to Error
    Edited the post to include a link to a fiddle that demonstrated my code.

Additional Notes
    1. The website had been running slow for me all day.
    2. Even though I received the 504 response, when I refreshed the webpage of the thread, the text I added showed up. So the data is persisting regardless of the 504 status.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

I just got a blank page instead of the advanced editor page then reload the page doing quick reply instead and then got a 504 error but this time without my post being recorded.

Edit : finally, it has been recorded but was shown only few minutes later.

A random note that Shaggy (I think) also noted.

I was at the root of the forum and I saw that Delaney had a new post under forum feedback. I then clicked into forum feedback, and it said there were no new posts, and the latest post was dday9's post above Delaney's.

I then click in here, and low and behold Delaney does have a post.

It seems there is something amiss with the caching.

A random note that Shaggy (I think) also noted.

I was at the root of the forum and I saw that Delaney had a new post under forum feedback. I then clicked into forum feedback, and it said there were no new posts, and the latest post was dday9's post above Delaney's.

I then click in here, and low and behold Delaney does have a post.

It seems there is something amiss with the caching.

Also got a 504 timout trying to post this.

thank's kfcSmitty, you explained much clearer than me what happened to my first post, didn't see it on the forum page at first so i believed it was not recorded but it was in fact there. Didn't know it did the same for the post here

The delay is still with us.

Do things seem better today? (since about mid day yesterday)

It has been super snappy, I haven't had any delays today.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Agreed.. it may be the placebo effect, but the site does seem faster today.

It is better for sure. I was able to recreate the 504 Time Out Error almost on demand...Now the same tasks are processing in a split second.

It certainly seems fixed, to me. Since you asked about that specific time, are we to assume that somebody fixed something?

The request for specific date/time was to help them look for "events" in the various server logs etc.

I'm guessing that they assigned more resources to the VM's that the sites are on.