Thread: posting trouble

posting trouble

Just wondering if you have the same trouble than me.
    I have no problem to login, pages are showing fast but when I want to post something in quick or advanced way, then it seems to take forever to refresh the page and even never refresh the page and I finish with a bad gateway message. I thought first that It didn't work but in fact it posted it (see the two messages in the test area). Well one time it didn't work.
    it does that for a couple of days.

So I was wondering if it is on my side (Mozzilla) or on the forum server side?
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)

Re: posting trouble

Ok, I tested 2 different computers on different internet access and 2 browsers and I have the problem in each cases. so I guess it is a server problem
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)

Did the error look like this one?
    A Screenshot is always a good idea.

I've seen this one from time to time on Sister Sites and have reported it. It seems to go away within a short period of time.....And I've thought that maybe a backup is being done...

Will be nice to hear if anyone else has seen the error.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I get the timeout error several times a week, but it usually resolves itself in a minute or two.

Yes that is the one. I didn't have it before but I have it always since a few days. I don't wait anymore to have it, I open an other page to check if my post is posted and then I close the first one.

@ Steve and KFC : Thank you for helping

Edit : The problem seems solved as this post was quickly posted

Gotten that a couple times in the past few days... I go back and see that the post did go through, so I don't usually worry about it.
    --tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I think I may have seen that once. More commonly, for the last month, or so, any post has been incredibly slow. The posts eventually DO tend to post, and if I hit submit a second time while waiting for the first to post, I almost immediately get the message that the post is a duplicate, at which point refreshing the page shows the post.

So, what I've been seeing is a very long delay in refreshing the page, though timeouts have happened only once that I can remember. Since clicking the submit button a second time always results in the message about the post being a duplicate, it certainly appears that the post is going through as fast as ever. Navigation between pages is also fast, as Delaney noted, it's just posting something that usually takes a very long time.

Having said that, the definition of very long time is variable. Some posts are fairly prompt (a few seconds). Many are so slow that I go off and do something else, or just re-submit so that I get the (prompt) notice that the post is a duplicate, followed promptly by a display of the thread with the post.

(this particular post showed up in only three to five seconds).
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

test post

test #2

EDIT: I've reported this to the powers that be.

Test to check.

Edit : a few second to refresh. Seems ok now

From the Brass Hat upstairs-> "We upsized the environment ~3 days ago as it did look like it was slammed that could cause the slowdown and 504s."

That happened BEFORE this thread... So please keep an eye out and report back if you see any 504 Errors.

PLEASE LOG ANY and ALL 504 Errors here. (in this thread)

1. Date and Time
    2. Where were you in the site and what were you doing

The 504 Errors and other slowness is universal across all sites... It's not horrible but that want to see the details from us to compare to their system log files.

PowerPoster

I'm getting these 504 Gateway Timeouts whenever I try to post an attachment.

It seems if I re-try a couple times it eventually gets posted.

But trying to attach an image just winds up showing an "attachment #" link instead of inserting the image itself.

On this thread https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....view-Row-Color

Edit: And posting a plain text reply in most threads, but it goes through. I hit 'Resend' then get told its a duplicate since it actually posted.

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    I'm getting these 504 Gateway Timeouts whenever I try to post an attachment.

It seems if I re-try a couple times it eventually gets posted.

But trying to attach an image just winds up showing an "attachment #" link instead of inserting the image itself.

On this thread https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....view-Row-Color

Edit: And posting a plain text reply in most threads, but it goes through. I hit 'Resend' then get told its a duplicate since it actually posted.
    More info please.... One of the attachments in YOUR link is NOT an image.... It's a Zip file.

Shouldn't RESEND give a duplicate error message?

Testing attachments..
    Attached Files Attached Files

504 received at 9:46AM Eastern time. I was coming from the forum root trying to load chit-chat.

504 received at 2:28PM Eastern time. I was coming from the forum root and trying to load chit-chat.

Just got one while wanting to go on the Visual-Basic-NET page. it is 21h30 (french time).

edit : refreshing the page solved the problem immediately (well, after having wrote this)