Thread: Providing Users With My Public IP Address, Should I Have Any Security Concerns?

Hyperactive Member

Providing Users With My Public IP Address, Should I Have Any Security Concerns?

I wanted to create a client/server program where multiple users can connect to the server and in this case the server would just run on my Windows PC and listen for incoming connections.
    Mostly for beta testing and developing ideas for now but was concerned about users knowing my IP address. I never worried about this in all my life and I don't feel I have a reason to but just wanted to ask if there was a safer way than providing the client users with my public IP address to connect with?

Should I be concerned with this at all?
    What is the worst case scenario if a malicious user has my public IP address?

Re: Providing Users With My Public IP Address, Should I Have Any Security Concerns?

I was curious about your question and looked it up on Google:

is making my ip address public safe

From what I read, generally speaking, it is not a big security concern.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Providing Users With My Public IP Address, Should I Have Any Security Concerns?

Moved to General Dev. This isn't really a VB question.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

King of sapila

It also depend if you have a static or dynamic IP address.
    With a static IP , I know your address and I will be trying to hack you today,...and the next day...and the next day...and the next day.
    With a dynamic IP, I was hacking you and suddenly "pooof" your IP is gone.
    Also depends on what you are doing to your computer. Do you leave remote interaction programs on? Can a person get in your PC with Remote desktop and your passwords is 1234 ? Are you using a firewall? Are you using a firewall on your rooter?...
    But, in general and from I've been hearing from our admins, a firewall will suffice but personally it would be a pain for me to set it but at home I'm blocking everything and I'm on dynamic, so I'm more concerned for a virus than getting hacked. Also there is usually a first layer of protection from you internet provider so most of the DOS attacks or other kind of attacks are rejected (that was not really the case about 6-7 months ago when our company and many other had a digital "corona virus" from china and we had to reset everything as the ISP was probably w#nking and DOS attacks where passing through) but they won't go for an unknown static IP like yours i guess.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

and your passwords is 1234
    Speaking of which...the 2020 top worst passwords is out. 12345 dropped to number 8 this year.

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....11#post5500211

picture1
    password
    senha
    qwerty
    abc123
    Million2
    iloveyou
    aaron431
    password1
    qqww1122
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

Why not offer them a DNS name? There is a reason why they exist.

That's a weird list. Most are just dull, but then there's aaron431. Why is that on the list? Is it really worse than aaron123 or aaraon432?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing