Thread: VB6 Unicode-capable ADO-DataBinding-Control

PowerPoster

VB6 Unicode-capable ADO-DataBinding-Control

Not sure, whether some of you have run into this, but the MS-ADODC-Control does not support Unicode when linked to Control-Bindings.

So the 3 Binding-Controls in this Demo can be seen as an Unicode-aware Replacement:
    - not only for the ADODC-Control (represented by ucBindingNav)
    - but also for a Scrollable-DetailView-Container (which hosts Bound-Control-entries "PropertyGrid-like")

Perhaps a ScreenShot explains better, what the Main-Control (ucBindingCont) does:

In this example, the ucBindingCont(ainer) fills the Form in its entirety,
    and is the only Control one has to create on the given Form.

The ADODC-like Navigation-Bar at the Bottom of the Screenshot (ucBindingNav) is internally part of that ucBindingCont.ctl.

The approach needs a Unicode-library (for the Controls which are bound to ADO-Rs later),
    and it should work with any decent Unicode-Control-lib, like e.g. the OCXes which are available from:
    - CyberActiveX
    - CodeJock
    - or Krools OCX-version
    Note, that neither Control-Lib has to offer special DataSource/DataField Props on their Controls -
    the Binding-implementation here will not require these (they will be ignored, even if they do exist).

In this Demo I was making use of Krools latest OCX-Version (VBCCR17), which is therefore a prerequisite -
    (which one has to download and register, before running this Demo-Project makes any sense).

Note, that the Conrols of the Unicode-lib one wants to use - are instantiated (and later accessed) in a LateBound fashion,
    for that to work - only their ProgIDs have to be defined (for each of the Control-Types which make sense) - here's the ones for Krools lib:
    Code:
    Const TxtCtlProgID = "VBCCR17.TextBoxW"
    Const CmbCtlProgID = "VBCCR17.ComboBoxW"
    Const DatCtlProgID = "VBCCR17.DTPicker"
    Const ChkCtlProgID = "VBCCR17.CheckBoxW"
    With these Constants in place, the Definition which creates the Binding-View (as seen in the ScreenShot) is this:
    Code:
    Private Sub CreateBoundControlsView(RsUnicode As ADODB.Recordset, RsLanguages As ADODB.Recordset)
      With ucBindingCont1 'the dynamic adding + binding of Controls (all LateBound, using the above ProgID-Consts)
        .Visible = False  'we hide the Binding-Container here, to avoid Flickering during Control-(Re-)Adds
          .SetTitle "ADO.Rs-Binding to UniCode-Controls"

.AddBoundCtlFor "Welcome", TxtCtlProgID, "Change", "Text", "a longer Unicode-Welcome-ToolTip with chinese Chars: " & ChrW(&H6B22) & ChrW(&H8FCE)
              .AddBoundCtlFor "Country", TxtCtlProgID, "Change", "Text", "ToolTip for the Country-Field"
              .AddBoundCtlFor "Capital", TxtCtlProgID, "Change", "Text", "ToolTip for the Capital-Field"
              .AddBoundCtlFor "Checked", ChkCtlProgID, "Click", "Value", "ToolTip for the Checked-Field"
              .AddBoundCtlFor "SomeDate", DatCtlProgID, "Change", "Value"
              .AddBoundCtlFor "Language", CmbCtlProgID, "Click", RsLanguages  '<- instead of a ValuePropName, we pass an FK-Rs to our ComboCtl

Set .DataSource = RsUnicode 'finally we set the DataSource to our Main-Rs, to bring the Bindings to life
        .Visible = True  'reset the hidden-state of the Container
      End With
    End Sub
    The magenta-colored Comment above describes, what is needed for an automatic "ForeignKey-Combo-DropDown-Binding".
    So, a Binding-Def-CodeLine requires the following Parameters:
    - the Rs-FieldName in the first Parameter (when no explicit Caption is set, these FieldNames will provide also the Labeling in the View)
    - the ProgID (for Control-Creation... above marked in blue, as defined in our Consts)
    - the Name of the Control-Event, which tells us about a Value-change in the Control (often "Change", but sometimes "Click" or whatever)
    - the Name of the Value-Property of the Control, we will bind the Rs-Value to later on
    - and finally an optional ToolTip-Text, followed by an optional FormatString argument

That's it (basically) to create a nice looking Data-Entry-Form (or -View)...
    For full CRUD-operation-support (Create, Read, Update Delete) via the Bottom-NavBar, only one EventHandler has to be implemented:
    Code:
    Private Sub ucBindingCont1_NavButtonClick(ByVal BtnType As eNavButtonType, CancelClickEvent As Boolean)
      On Error Resume Next
      With ucBindingCont1.DataSource  'we just call the matching Methods of our DataSource (of type ADODB.Recordset)
        Select Case BtnType           'in a real App one might want to throw some MessageBoxes like "Do you really want to save" at the User
          Case navBtnRequery: .Requery
          Case navBtnDelete:  .Delete
          Case navBtnAddNew:  .AddNew
          Case navBtnSave:    .UpdateBatch
        End Select
      End With
      If Err Then MsgBox Err.Description: Err.Clear
    End Sub
    For usage in your own Projects, only the 3 UserControls (ucBindingCont, ucBindingNav and ucBindingEntry)
    have to be included (directly as Private UserControls - they are small enough - and use no SubClassing or some such).
    Other than the ADO-reference (which is obvious when we use ADO-Bindings) no other dependency is needed.

Well, I hope the above explanations were clear enough to get you started, here is the Demo-Zip:
    BindingDemo.zip

Have fun,

Olaf

Re: VB6 Unicode-capable ADO-DataBinding-Control

why i cant see data or combo box shown in ur top image and whats this error means ?

when i click for example on country label or .. i see this error :

Code:
    Private Sub UserControl_Click()
      mCtlEx.SetFocus
    End Sub

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Storm View Post
    why i cant see data or combo box shown in ur top image and whats this error means ?

when i click for example on country label or .. i see this error :

Code:
    Private Sub UserControl_Click()
      mCtlEx.SetFocus
    End Sub
    "ObjectVariable not set"
    mCtlEx is of type vbControlExtender (holding a reference to the LateBound - via Controls.Add - generated Control).

Apparently the LateBound-Control-instancing (from the "lib of Unicode-Controls") did fail in a prior step.

So, did you download and install Krools Unicode-ActiveX-Lib in version 1.7, then registering this OCX?

The CodeBank-article, from where you can download it, is here:
    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....on-controls%29

The OCX-FIle is sitting in this *.rar Archive (just remove the zip-ending): VBCCR17.OCX.rar.zip

Olaf

how can use this sample for my problem in this thread : ? i want just design a control like as data combo with bidnig fata and row source, row field and can themed i dont want use another ocx In my control for use it

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Storm View Post
    how can use this sample for my problem in this thread : ? i want just design a control like as data combo with bidnig fata and row source, row field and can themed i dont want use another ocx In my control for use it
    The "RowSource-Handling" of the DataBound Combo is sitting in ucBindingEntry.ctl of this project.
    (you could have found this out yourself, by stepping through the code via <F8> for example).

I also don't know, where the big problem is, in making a normal Combo understanding "RowSources".

Here is a little Snippet for a simple "RowSource-supporting"-Combo-Ctl, named ucFKCombo - which only needs a normal Combo1 placed within it:
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Event Click()
    Private mFKArr()

Private Sub Combo1_Click()
      RaiseEvent Click
    End Sub
    Private Sub UserControl_Initialize()
      ReDim mFKArr(-1 To -1, -1 To -1)
    End Sub
    Private Sub UserControl_Resize()
      Combo1.Width = ScaleWidth
    End Sub

Public Property Set RowSource(ByVal RHS As Object)
      On Error Resume Next
        ReDim mFKArr(-1 To -1, -1 To -1)
        Dim i As Long, vID: vID = Value '<- buffer the prior FK-ID
        mFKArr = RHS.Clone.GetRows
        Combo1.Clear
          For i = 0 To UBound(mFKArr, 2): Combo1.AddItem mFKArr(1, i): Next
        Combo1.ListIndex = FindFKIndexFor(vID) 'try to find the prior FK-ID
      If Err Then Err.Clear
    End Property

Public Property Get Value()
      Value = Null
      If UBound(mFKArr, 2) > -1 Then
        If Combo1.ListIndex >= 0 Then Value = mFKArr(0, Combo1.ListIndex)
      End If
    End Property
    Public Property Let Value(RHS)
      If UBound(mFKArr, 2) > -1 Then Combo1.ListIndex = FindFKIndexFor(RHS)
    End Property

Private Function FindFKIndexFor(vID) As Long
      Dim i As Long
      For i = UBound(mFKArr, 2) To 0 Step -1
        If mFKArr(0, i) = vID Then Exit For
      Next
      FindFKIndexFor = i
    End Function
    Demo-Code for a Form (which then should contain ucFKCombo1)
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Sub Form_Load()
      Dim Rs
      Set Rs = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
          Rs.Fields.Append "ID", vbInteger
          Rs.Fields.Append "Name", vbString
          Rs.Open
          Rs.AddNew Array(0, 1), Array(1, "Name1")
          Rs.AddNew Array(0, 1), Array(2, "Name2")
          Rs.AddNew Array(0, 1), Array(3, "Name3")

Set ucFKCombo1.RowSource = Rs
          ucFKCombo1.Value = 3
    End Sub

Private Sub ucFKCombo1_Click()
      Caption = ucFKCombo1.Value
    End Sub
    HTH

Olaf

i explained in my posted thread create-a-activex-used-combox-and-move-all-methods-and-properties-to-this-new-control
    i am not looking for row source or row filed only i am looking for any data combo box like as normal combo box with all properties and events and methods in data combo box but i want can support theme too,i want use manefest file or i want use skinners to can change theme of datacombo box,my problem is about set theme on data combo box,if i cant find any way so i should be try for find any user control like as data combo box but fixed theme problem

Hyperactive Member

Question Re: VB6 Unicode-capable ADO-DataBinding-Control

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    Not sure, whether some of you have run into this, but the MS-ADODC-Control does not support Unicode...
    What do you mean? This is VSFlexGrid + ADODC Control:
    Name:  ADODC.png
Views: 109
Size:  4.0 KB

Intrinsic Data control doesn't support Unicode. But not the ADODC.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Nouyana View Post
    What do you mean?

Intrinsic Data control doesn't support Unicode. But not the ADODC.
    The MS-ADODC in conjunction with Krools Unicode-Textbox for example,
    does not support Unicode...

Hence this CodeBank-entry, which shows an alternative way to bind Krools Controls
    (via an ADODC-alternative).

Olaf

Hyperactive Member

Arrow Re: VB6 Unicode-capable ADO-DataBinding-Control

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    The MS-ADODC in conjunction with Krools Unicode-Textbox for example,
    does not support Unicode
    Name:  ADODC_Krool.png
Views: 82
Size:  3.4 KB

Hyperactive Member

Anyway, there is no dependencies except msado25.tlb
    And it's very beautiful as for me. Thank you for it!