Thread: Do I have sufficient resources to install VB6 on Windows 10?

Do I have sufficient resources to install VB6 on Windows 10?

I am trying to figure out if I have what it takes to get VB6 running under my Windows 10. Up until now I have VB6 running on Windows 98. I am retired but want to keep two basic programs going. In addition to VS6Installer, what additional resources do I need to install VB6 on Windows 10? I currently have three CDs:

1 Visual Basic 6.0 Professional Edition
    2 msdn Library - Visual Studio 6.0
    3 Visual Studio 6.0 - Service Pack 5

Is this sufficient?

PowerPoster

Re: Do I have sufficient resources to install VB6 on Windows 10?

do a search in this forum, there are several threads on how to install vb6 on W10
    there are a few gotchas to make it work correctly, best not to just stick the cd in
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Quote Originally Posted by StanH View Post

Great.

You will still need service pack 6 and Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Service Pack 6 Cumulative Update.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=7030

PowerPoster

That's the notorious "rollup" they had to push out something like 7 different times. Each one broke a lot of controls with various "off by one" errors.

I don't think anybody survived installing it. The "security issues" were related to user-created OCXs deployed in IE web pages, which nobody does any more anyway.

To second what westconn1 says---in your search on this forum, add "Elroy". He's a user who has sort of compiled a good guide. Other than downloading SP6, it seems you have all you need.
    Sam I am (as well as Confused at times).

PowerPoster

I would just go with Service Pack 6 and not bother with the rollup. Been using it with SP6 for years now and no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    That's the notorious "rollup" they had to push out something like 7 different times. Each one broke a lot of controls with various "off by one" errors.

I don't think anybody survived installing it. The "security issues" were related to user-created OCXs deployed in IE web pages, which nobody does any more anyway.
    What didn't I understand about cumulative updates? For me, I never had any problems ...

PowerPoster

Many complex controls have broken collections within them. Some Winsock control properties return truncated values. MsComm controls lost data.

It is hard to remember the many things that were broken by those rollup package attempts.

Frenzied Member

I am trying to figure out if I have what it takes to get VB6 running under my Windows 10. Up until now I have VB6 running on Windows 98. I am retired but want to keep two basic programs going. In addition to VS6Installer, what additional resources do I need to install VB6 on Windows 10? I currently have three CDs:

3 Visual Studio 6.0 - Service Pack 5

Is this sufficient?
    What version (year and month) of ' msdn Library - Visual Studio 6.0' do you have ?
    Is it a pack of 3 (I think) CDs ? OR the single DVD that some of us managed to get ?

If it is too old then you miss out on some 'Help' stuff (MS released VB6 before they fully completed things, particularly the Help)
    Thus they quietly allowed us (Purchasers of VB6) to get a free years subscription to MSDN in the form of packs of CDs or single DVDs
    If it is too new then you get flooded with a lot of VB.NET crap

Quote Originally Posted by Episcopal View Post
    Great.

You will still need service pack 6 and Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Service Pack 6 Cumulative Update.

I tried to download but the download button only takes me to
    "Thank you for downloading Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Service Pack 6 Cumulative Update ".
    Nothing else happened. I will try again tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbles View Post
    What version (year and month) of ' msdn Library - Visual Studio 6.0' do you have ?
    Is it a pack of 3 (I think) CDs ? OR the single DVD that some of us managed to get ?
    My 'msdm Library Visual Studio 6' is two CD's. The paper insert refers to mid-1998. On the CD's it says "designed for Windows NT and Windows 98". There are numbers:
    Disk1-Setup:
    0698 Part No. x03-73118

Disk2:
    0598 Part No. x03-73123

Service Pack 5 is one CD, copyright 2000
    1100 Part No. x06-21662

Quote Originally Posted by SamOscarBrown View Post
    To second what westconn1 says---in your search on this forum, add "Elroy". He's a user who has sort of compiled a good guide. Other than downloading SP6, it seems you have all you need.
    Thanks. I will do that.

"Thank you for downloading Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Service Pack 6 Cumulative Update ".
    download is normal for me ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Episcopal; Nov 11th, 2020 at 03:43 PM.

PowerPoster

This is a direct URL to the msi file for the above referenced cumulative update:

https://download.microsoft.com/downl...37-x86-ENU.msi

I tried again to download "Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Service Pack 6 Cumulative Update" from that link using Firefox. Then I tried with MS Edge browser and it would have downloaded except I didn't have Visual Basic 6 installed. That makes sense.

I haven't searched this website yet, But I wonder if it is possible to install Visual Basic 6 without installing Visual Studio?

Frenzied Member

I tried again to download "Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Service Pack 6 Cumulative Update" from that link using Firefox. Then I tried with MS Edge browser and it would have downloaded except I didn't have Visual Basic 6 installed. That makes sense.

I haven't searched this website yet, But I wonder if it is possible to install Visual Basic 6 without installing Visual Studio?
    Regarding the SP6 vs SP5
    I have had VB6 running for years, and I still have SP5.
    I decided not to bother with SP6 since much of it seemed to be MS fixing problems with their flippin controls.
    I avoid dependencies like the plague PARTICULARLY MS dependencies, so sticking with SP5 has had no ill effects (for me).

Regarding
    if it is possible to install Visual Basic 6 without installing Visual Studio?
    That ONLY refers to the installation of the Help files.
    So yes you can install VB6 without installing the Help files.
    However that will mean that you don't have integrated help, and the majority of us love having integrated help.
    Don't bother using your 98 version as there was a lot lacking (as I described in my first post)
    I use the Oct 2000 DVD.
    Others in the forum often mention 2001 version but I seriously doubt that there is any additional VB6 help in there (just some more flippin VB.NET)
    Since it is obvious that you have a legit version of VB6, I don't think anyone will jump on me for offering to get a copy to you.

Whereas they will be crawling out of the woodwork to jump on me for suggesting that you may not need SP6,
    Rob

Thanks. Until you told me about the "Help" stuff I was thinking of not using Visual Studio. But my two statistical programs have very good help systems that allow inexperienced users to do very sophistocated things. So "Help" is important to me.

The dates of the directories on the CD's are:
    1 Visual Basic 6.0 Professional Edition: (6/27/1998)
    2 msdn Library - Visual Studio 6.0: (6/26/1998 each of 2 CD's)
    3 Visual Studio 6.0 - Service Pack 4: (6/6/2000)
    4 Visual Studio 6.0 - Service Pack 5: (2/1/2001)

Where do you think I stand with this? What would be better?

With respect to authoring integrated help, I use a program called VB HelpWriter. I suspect I have to find a substitute for Windows 10.
    Last edited by StanH; Nov 12th, 2020 at 01:20 AM.

Addicted Member

Does vb6’s PDW work OK on Win10?
    /Jimboat

Frenzied Member

Thanks. Until you told me about the "Help" stuff I was thinking of not using Visual Studio. But my two statistical programs have very good help systems that allow inexperienced users to do very sophistocated things. So "Help" is important to me.

The dates of the directories on the CD's are:
    1 Visual Basic 6.0 Professional Edition: (6/27/1998)
    2 msdn Library - Visual Studio 6.0: (6/26/1998 each of 2 CD's)
    3 Visual Studio 6.0 - Service Pack 4: (6/6/2000)
    4 Visual Studio 6.0 - Service Pack 5: (2/1/2001)

Where do you think I stand with this? What would be better?

With respect to authoring integrated help, I use a program called VB HelpWriter. I suspect I have to find a substitute for Windows 10.
    When I was mentioning integrated Help, I was only referring to MS's help to the programmer when they(we) are using the VB6 IDE
    EG When you are typing the code to show a msgbox, you can place your cursor in the middle of the word MsgBox and press the F1 key of your keyboard.
    The IDE will then open up the installed MSDN Library, showing the page describing the MsgBox function (what more could a man ask for ?)
    I was not referring to us having the ability to create Help for the user of our programs.
    So if you use your VB6 Pro CD, and my Oct 2000 MSDN, you are good to go.
    Follow Elroy's advice for doing that. The MSDN is usually asked for near the end of the VB6 Install process (if my memory serves me right).
    The install of the Service Pack can be done later.

So if you use your VB6 Pro CD, and my Oct 2000 MSDN, you are good to go.
    Follow Elroy's advice for doing that. The MSDN is usually asked for near the end of the VB6 Install process (if my memory serves me right).
    The install of the Service Pack can be done later.
    That is what I will do. How can I obtain your Oct 2000 MSDN?

So I can be sure - is the advice of Elroy that you refer to the same as this one: https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....=Elroy+install

Frenzied Member

That is what I will do. How can I obtain your Oct 2000 MSDN?

So I can be sure - is the advice of Elroy that you refer to the same as this one: https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....=Elroy+install
    I will let the other members advise you on which is the best thread for installing VB6 in W10, as I have not done it.
    I have been using my XP machine for all VB6 development

Do you wish the single layer or the double layer ISO (I have another current thread describing how I trimmed it down to single layer) ?

If you browse my profile you will see how you can contact (e m a i l) me, or you could PM me

I installed VB6 6/27/1998 far enough to be able to create and run a "Hello World" project. I then downloaded Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Service Pack 6 Cumulative Update from
    The fille is: "VB60SP6-KB2708437-x86-ENU.msi"
    I tried to run it with [right click] [Install]
    Got this error:
    Attachment 179297
    How can I make the update run?

Edit ===
    I do have a Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 5, but I hadn't installed it because I thought the cumulative update was cumulative.
    Last edited by StanH; Nov 17th, 2020 at 01:50 AM.

I believe that the problem I describe in the post above was caused by an incorrectly titled download from Microsoft of a VB6 update. This is to explain how I corrected it -- as a warning to anyone else who might make the same mistake.

I have been following the procedure recommended by Elroy located here titled "Installing the VB6 IDE on Windows 10 - 64 bit." (started in August 2017)
    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....ght=cumulative
    In That thread Elroy states "Once the VB6 IDE is initially installed, you should immediately install the VB6 Cumulative Service Pack 6 (SP6). It's still available from Microsoft and can be downloaded here. As a note, SP6 is a "cumulative" update. As such you need not be concerned with SP5 or any earlier VB6 service pack."
    The link is to download file = "Vs6sp6B.exe", 3/25/04, 26.5 mb, "Service Pack 6 for Visual Basic 6.0"
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=5721
    That works. My installation works now.

The problem described in my previous post was caused by trying to update my install of my VB6 disc of 6/27/1998. I had downloaded file = "VB60SP6-KB2708437-x86-ENU.msi", 8/16/2012, 9.8 mb, "Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Service Pack 6 Cumulative Update"
    This file was the cause of the problem. It is called "Cumulative Update", but it unlikely cumulative because its size is much smaller than the correct one the Elroy suggested.

I made the mistake of thinking that recent is better.

Frenzied Member

Did the MSDN Help integrate fully ?
    (A general question - not related to your recent posts about SP6)

Yes it did. But I had some questions about about choices I made during install. I will post them tomorrow.

Glad you got everything to work. Nice to have VB6 properly installed, isn't it?
    Sam I am (as well as Confused at times).

Did the MSDN Help integrate fully ?
    (A general question - not related to your recent posts about SP6)
    I installed the MSDN and the F1 help works correctly. But I made two choices that I am not sure about.

1 I declined Backoffice. I don't know what it does and if I can make use of it.
    2 I declined installing the "Tools", for the same reason.

Should I run the install again to pick up those things? If so, is it just a matter of running it again?

Frenzied Member

I installed the MSDN and the F1 help works correctly. But I made two choices that I am not sure about.

1 I declined Backoffice. I don't know what it does and if I can make use of it.
    2 I declined installing the "Tools", for the same reason.

Should I run the install again to pick up those things? If so, is it just a matter of running it again?
    It is a long time since I installed VB6 Help.
    I am fairly sure I avoided back orifice
    I don't recall what I chose with the Tools option.
    If it were me, I would 'let sleeping dogs lie' and be grateful/thankful that the intrinsic help is working
    Last edited by Bobbles; Nov 18th, 2020 at 10:41 PM.