Thread: Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB 12.0 - Provider is not Registered

Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB 12.0 - Provider is not Registered

Hi guys

How do I solve this problem please as cant run my application when I try to login...

The Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB 12.0 PROVIDER IS NOT REGISTERED ON THEIR LOCAL MACHINE.
    Last edited by dday9; Nov 9th, 2020 at 11:07 AM.

Re: Help please

Firstly, please provide a meaningful title for your thread. Given that everyone needs help or they wouldn't be posting, your title is of no use at all.

As for the question, the Jet OLE DB provider is basically a part of Windows and can be used to connect to the old MDB format data files but the new format ACCDB data files require the ACE OLE DB provider, which must be installed separately. ACE does get installed with Microsoft Office but you then need to make sure that your application has the same bitness, i.e. if you install 32-bit Office then 32-bit ACE is installed, so only 32-bit applications can access it. If you install 64-bit Office then only 64-bit apps can use ACE. You can also install ACE as a standalone package, without Office. In fact, if you install Office and then a different version of ACE then you can actually have both 32-bit and 64-bit ACE installed on the same machine.

So, make sure that you have ACE installed, either as part of Office or on its own, and make sure that your application is the same bitness as that ACE installation.

Maybe its not clear for all users that ACE can be found as 'Microsoft Access Database Engine'. There are also different version: 2010 and 2016. I earlier used ACE 2010 but since Office 2010 will not be further supported in the future, I changed to 'Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable'. Seems to work without changes in the connection-string of the the application. Its still 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0'. (?)