Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VB6 WebView2-Binding (Edge-Chromium)

PowerPoster

Re: VB6 WebView2-Binding (Edge-Chromium)

Quote Originally Posted by Thierry76 View Post
    PS I dream of your webviev2 with diagrams.net (drawio-desktop)....
    Why not just load a js-based charting-lib into the WebView (instead of a plugin)?

There's a dozen or more quite good ones out there -
    the one we've decided to use is dc.js (because it's open - and based on the svg+canvas-lib d3.js, which we had in use already):

Here's a quite impressive example (which supports zooming and range-shifting on an interdependent, complex dataset):
    https://dc-js.github.io/dc.js/

And here a turorial for it (normally, you'll only need a dozen of js-config-lines, to visualize a certain chart-type).
    https://www.tutorialspoint.com/dcjs/index.htm

If you're more interested in org- and flow-charts... simple ones can be created directly in code via d3.js -
    but there's also libs out there which specialize in that kind of thing ...
    (though I have not needed any org- and flowchart functionality so far, so cannot give any useful hints).

Olaf

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    @xiaoyao: Does VFB have bindings for the WebView2 built-in?

What's the point spamming every thread with links to it?

@admins: Do cleanup my reply too, please.

cheers,
    </wqw>
    YES VFB WITH MINIBLINK webbrowser,chrome core ,node.dll

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    I could, but I won't...
    It doesn't make much sense to save 1 or 2 MB in deployment-size, when "the other needed part" -
    (the "evergreen WebView-runtime" from MS) is about 50MB already.

Basically by writing your own binding:
    - first, by reworking the SDKs WebView2.tlb (making its COM-interfaces more "VB-friendly")
    - and then writing your own wrapper-class against the interfaces of this typelib (without exposing the typelib-types on the VB6-Class-interface)
    - the finally resulting VB6-Class then usually placed within your own VB6-AX-Dll, to avoid separate delivery of the WebView2.tlb

The current deployment-size of the RC6 is about:
    - 3.4MB (in a *.zip archive ... with current inet-speeds, downloadable in about 0.3 seconds)
    - 2.5MB (in a *.7z archive ... with current inet-speeds, downloadable in about 0.2 seconds)

And that makes it the smallest "DB- and GUI-including" Desktop-App-Framework on the planet ...
    (it is significantly smaller than e.g. GTK3, QT, Electron or "Avalonia+.NET-Core5")

For most "non Hello-World-Apps" (which do something useful), you will have to deploy "a set of Dlls/OCXes alongside your Exe" anyways.

So, when you develop and later deploy your App based on a dozen of smaller libs (Dlls and OCXes) - this will sum up to typically:
    - about 2-4MB in your deployment-zip (or perhaps 5-8MB, when you include Icon+ Image-Resources and maybe a Font or two).

So no, I cannot see where the big "burden" from introducing the RC6 will come in
    (which would allow you, to replace most of your other COM-dependencies with a single one in your App).

Olaf
    more times,i no need rc6.dll.
    but i need Chromium or edge ,or miniblink (by Chromium),so if only one dll vbedgeCom.dll or stdcall_edge.dll,
    i think it's best
    if it's make ocx control,i think it's easy for vb user,excel vba userform
    if it's support x64 like a stdcall dll,it's also can use in vfb ide FOR X64 EXE (VISUAL freebasic)

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    ...more times,i no need rc6.dll.
    Then this thread is not for suitable for you.
    <shrug/>

What's discussed here, is a Binding to the EverGreen-Runtime of the MS-Edge-Chromium-WebControl.

EverGreen meaning, that this Runtime has to be installed only once on a given Client-Machine.
    After that, the regular Windows-Edge-Updates will update also this WebControls Chromium-Runtime without any further User-intervention.

So, the Client-Machine is guaranteed, to always use a WebView-Control with the latest Security- and Bug-Fixes.

This is not the case for e.g. "miniblink" - which (have just checked in their Repo) is already 2 years out of date.

Olaf

Hi Olaf,

Is there a way to implement late-binding for WebView2? This is to handle a scenario where user has not yet installed pre-requisites (WebView2 Runtime and RC6).

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by rameshpatel9 View Post
    Is there a way to implement late-binding for WebView2?
    This is to handle a scenario where user has not yet installed pre-requisites (WebView2 Runtime and RC6).
    To make use of the WebView2-EdgeChromium-BrowserControl,
    you have to "bind it to a normal hWnd" (in the Demo, this is provided by a VB6.PictureBox).

And that Binding is initiated via an RC6-Class (cWebView).

So, the RC6 is a pre-requisite to make all that work.

Not sure, what you mean with "late-binding" - but in case you mean "without running a prior setup, or ensuring registry-entries" -
    that's possible when you:
    - ship the 5 RC6-Dlls in a \Bin\ Subfolder of your deployment-zip
    - then instantiate New_c regfree within your App (via a declared DirectCOM.dll GetInstance or GetInstanceEx-call)
    - and then initiate the Binding by a Class-instance, derived via New_c.WebView

The only other pre-requisite is, that the Users have installed the "EverGreen-runtime" from the MS-link I gave in the First posting here.

HTH

Olaf

Hello!

I am using WebView2 during 6 months. It was working perfectly.

But now, stop work without reason!

The strange thing is that: From compiler VB6 it works perfectly.
    But if I generate .exe file, don´t work: "Can not initialize webview2"

I can not find where is the problem.
    Any idea?

I reinstall component, register dll again...

Thank you!

PowerPoster

Unfortunately, it looks like MS might have broken something: https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....n-compiled-exe.

Quote Originally Posted by jpbro View Post
    Unfortunately, it looks like MS might have broken something: https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....n-compiled-exe.
    wow, I was getting crazy. Fortunatly, I have followed the instructions of "saturnian" and now works perfectly.

Thank you so much!

First of all, many thanks to Olaf for this great work.

Meanwhile a newer version od WebView2 has been released, 89.0.774.50 is working with IDE and compiled programs.

To avoid such problems in future i tried to use a fixed version, with no success.

Code:
    BindTo(HosthWnd As Long, [SecondsToWaitForInitComplete As Double = 8], [browserInstallPath As String], [userDataFolder As String], [additionalBrowserArguments As String]) As Long
    is not binding when setting the second argument.

Has anyone tested this before?

Robert

PowerPoster

how to call by vc++ for show edge like a ocx on wpf(window,or put to hwnd)

I want call by vfb(visual freebasic ide),I don't want use ocx or com dll

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by WZabel View Post
    Meanwhile a newer version od WebView2 has been released, 89.0.774.50 is working with IDE and compiled programs.
    Yep, I've described that here: https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....=1#post5513856

To avoid such problems in future i tried to use a fixed version, with no success.
    I've made a few comments about that in the above link as well...

Code:
    BindTo(HosthWnd As Long, [SecondsToWaitForInitComplete As Double = 8], [browserInstallPath As String], [userDataFolder As String], [additionalBrowserArguments As String]) As Long
    is not binding when setting the second argument.
    The second argument is the timeout you plan to wait for the Init-Process to finish...

If you want to set the EdgeInstall-Path, this has to be done in the 3rd-Parameter.

Here is an example, how I was able to load directly from a fixed version (in my App.Path):
    Code:
    Private Sub Form_Load()
      Visible = True '<- it's important, that the hosting TopLevel-Form is visible...

Set WV = New_c.WebView2 'create the instance

Dim P As String
    '      P = WV.GetMostRecentInstallPath() '<- this is what I use underneath the BindTo-call, when you don't give a specific path
          P = App.Path & "\Microsoft.WebView2.FixedVersionRuntime.89.0.774.50.x86"
      Debug.Print P

If WV.BindTo(picWV.hWnd, 5, P, App.Path) = 0 Then MsgBox "couldn't initialize WebView-Binding": Exit Sub
    '  If WV.BindTo(picWV.hWnd) = 0 Then MsgBox "couldn't initialize WebView-Binding": Exit Sub

'...
    HTH

Olaf

PowerPoster

... I don't want use ocx or com dll
    Then you are out of luck - because the WebView2Loader.dll from MS *is* a COM-dll.
    (providing it's COM-Objects over "flat-API-entry-call" - and later on "building on that" via a matching typelib)

And as always, your postings do not make much sense
    (WPF belongs to the .NET-universe - and VFB is "Class-less, COM-less" flat-APIs only)

The only IDE which can "talk" to the WebView2Loader-Objects directly
    (without any "extra-marshalling" or "COM-call-support-modules"), is the VB6-IDE.

And we are here in a Sub-Forum where VB6 is discussed...
    Please stop spamming this Forum with your nonsense.

Olaf

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    @xiaoyao: Does VFB have bindings for the WebView2 built-in?

What's the point spamming every thread with links to it?

cheers,
    </wqw>
    I didn't fully express my problem. I'm sorry.
    vfb support miniblink,chrome core only one DLL.
    edge like google beowser.For example, running speed and Lesser memory, there are many advantages.
    So I would like to ask VfB how to call the edge, the main support for com is not perfect, so is there anyway only a DLL can be called?(without rc6.dll)

Previously, VfB did not support the creation of com DLLs, but now it can create the built-in TLB information. You know a lot about com OCX. It would be more convenient if you could increase the build to OCX.
    Last edited by xiaoyao; Mar 14th, 2021 at 10:34 AM.

PowerPoster

vfb support miniblink,chrome core only one DLL.
    ... running speed and Lesser memory, there are many advantages.
    That is not true, because in the end there's always separate Chromium-Processes which will be spawned.
    (and those ChildProcesses will have the basically same performance and mem-consumption).

So I would like to ask VfB how to call the edge...
    You contradict yourself.

Why would you now suddenly need an Edge-Binding for FreeBasic, when "miniblink" is so much better (in your opinion).

But as already said, stop spamming these threads with unrelated things like FreeBasic
    (I consider FB a great tool - but it has no place in this VB6-related Forum-Thread).

You know a lot about com OCX.
    It would be more convenient if you could increase the build to OCX.
    I don't really know, what exactly you are talking about here - but for your information,
    a COM-library which exists as a Dll, is far more versatile (and much easier to use) -
    compared to a COM-lib which offers "visual COM-Objects" behind an OCX-incarnation.

That's with regard to "instancing"...
    A "normal COM-Object-instance" is much easier to load from a COM-Dll,
    compared to the quite messed up "siting-processes" which are needed in case of a "visual COMObj-instance from an OCX".

Olaf

PowerPoster

vb6 Slowly be eliminated,so I study vfb,it'S like vc++.
    Microsoft. Net framework, but also weakened the COM, OCX control package.So I want to ask if there is a way to call edge by Stdcall?

WebView2Loader.dll ,why Double-clicking will not prompt you that you have successfully registered.

The main reason is that some computer permissions are not enough and do not support the registration com DLL.

You may be able to call com objects using just the windows API. So I want to learn how to create a simple WebView 2 page,How many windows APIs do you need to call ,for load webview2?
    If rc6. Dll exports a stdcall apiThat would be too convenient.
    dim web as long
    web =loadWebviewTo(picture1.hwnd)
    webviewOpenUrl(web,"http://*")

In fact, There is an open source browser miniblink" like a activex control OCX ( chromium,only need one dll) is using this principle to operate the Google Chrome Kernel,This is a reduced version of the feature, and the version is relatively old.
    edge with chromium ,The function is relatively complete,It's better than the miniblink. "A lot more powerful.".
    Last edited by xiaoyao; Mar 14th, 2021 at 09:09 PM.

Hi Olaf,

a shameless semi-offtopic question related VBA / MSAccess:

Any chance I can get Webview2 working in MS Access / VBA???

Greets from Germany

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by byomi1 View Post
    Hi Olaf,

a shameless semi-offtopic question related VBA / MSAccess:

Any chance I can get Webview2 working in MS Access / VBA???

Greets from Germany
    Edge-Binding,Microsoft's new version of WIN10 may have a built-in Google kernel EDGE browser. In addition, the COM interface provided by Microsoft has been generally used for several years and is relatively stable and perfect.
    You can also use VB6 to develop an OCX control (put WebView2-Binding on usercontrol), and then load the user-defined control to the EXCEL, ACCESS VBA form

Hi,

I've been trying to get the demo from the first post to run. I've downloaded the latest RC6 version from RichClient-lib (Version 6.0.8) and the evergreen webview2 runtime installer from the given microsoft link. The webview2 runtime installed successfully, as did RC6 (using the VBscripts in the zip package). As recommended, all of the dlls are in the same folder.

When I try to compile the WebView2Demo, I'm getting the following error message when it reaches the event handlers (with parameters) in fMain.frm

Compile error: Procedure declaration does not match description of event or procedure having the same name

Is this demo now obsolete (and is there a newer version somewhere)? Or have Microsoft changed things again and broken this functionality completely?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    When I try to compile the WebView2Demo, I'm getting the following error message when it reaches the event handlers (with parameters) in fMain.frm

Compile error: Procedure declaration does not match description of event or procedure having the same name
    It looks like some of the RC6 cWebView2 procedure declarations have changed. If you modify the declarations for the following 2 events, it should work:

Code:
    Private Sub WV_AcceleratorKeyPressed(ByVal KeyState As eWebView2AccKeyState, ByVal IsExtendedKey As Boolean, ByVal WasKeyDown As Boolean, ByVal IsKeyReleased As Boolean, ByVal IsMenuKeyDown As Boolean, ByVal RepeatCount As Long, ByVal ScanCode As Long, IsHandled As Boolean)

Private Sub WV_NavigationCompleted(ByVal IsSuccess As Boolean, ByVal WebErrorStatus As Long)

Some "Longs" were changed to be more sensible "Booleans".

Quote Originally Posted by jpbro View Post
    It looks like some of the RC6 cWebView2 procedure declarations have changed. If you modify the declarations for the following 2 events, it should work:

Code:
    Private Sub WV_AcceleratorKeyPressed(ByVal KeyState As eWebView2AccKeyState, ByVal IsExtendedKey As Boolean, ByVal WasKeyDown As Boolean, ByVal IsKeyReleased As Boolean, ByVal IsMenuKeyDown As Boolean, ByVal RepeatCount As Long, ByVal ScanCode As Long, IsHandled As Boolean)

Private Sub WV_NavigationCompleted(ByVal IsSuccess As Boolean, ByVal WebErrorStatus As Long)

Some "Longs" were changed to be more sensible "Booleans".
    Thanks jpbro, nice to see it was something relatively simple to fix. I've got the demo compiling and running now. Now I'll have to work out how best to build it into my application and see how it runs there.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Thanks jpbro, nice to see it was something relatively simple to fix. I've got the demo compiling and running now. Now I'll have to work out how best to build it into my application and see how it runs there.
    Maybe the following example is useful to you:
    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....-WebView2-Demo

Hi Olaf,

I'm trying to install Webview2Demo. I followed the instructions but I get the error:"Procedure declaration does not match description of event or procedure having the same name". Any ideas why. Thank you very much!

-Jack

one question:

using the example and navigating to "google.com", I can't seem to be able to get the "document.getElementById('btn1').innerHTML" working using WV.jsProp. Any ideas? basically, I need the html of the entire page I just navigated to. I assume I can do so using "body.innerHTML"
    Last edited by jackr; Aug 30th, 2021 at 04:18 PM.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackr View Post
    Hi Olaf,

I'm trying to install Webview2Demo. I followed the instructions but I get the error:"Procedure declaration does not match description of event or procedure having the same name". Any ideas why. Thank you very much!

-Jack
    The answer you want is in post#62

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    The answer you want is in post#62
    thanks that works!

Is there a way to invoke a js click such as
    WV.jsRun("document.getElementById('Somebutton')".click()")
    I was unable to invoke a click with that

thanks for your help!
    Last edited by jackr; Aug 31st, 2021 at 11:22 AM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jackr View Post
    Is there a way to invoke a js click such as
    WV.jsRun("document.getElementById('Somebutton')".click()")
    WV.jsRun is thought for simple (for the most part, self-defined) functions...

For more complex "actions" like yours above, try it with:
    WV.ExecuteScript "document.getElementById('Somebutton').click()"
    instead.

HTH

Olaf

That helps, thanks again!!

PowerPoster

what's MicrosoftEdgeWebView2Runtime?
    Is the development version of the interface open?

How to operate the EDGE that is installed or that comes with WIN10, can I control the CHROME kernel without installing any RUNTIME? Maybe only Google Control Protocol, based on HTTP port, like WEBDRIVER?

PowerPoster

The CHROME kernel environment, there are three ways to get:

Install the EDGE (Chromium) of the development version, the stable version of the EDGE does not currently support WebView2 controls.
    Install independent WebView2 Runtime, which can download and upgrade an EDGE Chromium kernel separately
    Embedding Edge Chromium kernel

I don't know if there's a way. Do not need to install, only need to extract the file, and Have the least hard disk space

PowerPoster

Resolved Re: VB6 WebView2-Binding (Edge-Chromium)

Edge Webview2 Automatic installation, detect the installed version-VBForums
    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....talled-version

How to use code-behind automatic installation MicrosoftEdgeWebView2RuntimeInstallerX86?

https://msedge.sf.dl.delivery.mp.mic...stallerX86.exe

Which URL can use the code to automatically download the latest version? Plus automatic installation is very convenient

【install used 32 seconds, occupying 444mb of hard disk space】
    use miniblink.DLL or cef.DLL(10-50MB)

For the chromium kernel, only one DLL is needed. Use this mini-small WEBKIT-related kernel as much as possible. If some web pages are too complicated and require the latest HTML5 technology to display, then use Microsoft's EDGE runtime library. 450Mb is more than 10-50mb, which takes up too much hard disk space.
    Last edited by xiaoyao; Aug 31st, 2021 at 11:10 PM.

PowerPoster

Code:
    Function CheckSetupOk() As Boolean
        'It takes 10 seconds to check whether the edge runtime component is installed successfully. Is there a faster method?
        Dim WV As cWebView2
        Set WV = New_c.WebView2
        CheckSetupOk = WV.BindTo(Me.hWnd) <> 0
        Set WV = Nothing
    End Function

Function DonwSetupTool() As Boolean
    Dim URL As String
    URL = "https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=2124703"
    'xmlhttp download***
    'save as :Edge_Webview2RunTime.exe

Dim Size1 As Long
    Size1 = FileLen(App.Path & "\Edge_Webview2RunTime.exe")
    DonwSetupTool = Size1 > 1024 ^ 2

end function
    install used 32 seconds, occupying 444mb of hard disk space
    I don’t know if there is a silent installation parameter to prevent him from displaying the download and installation interface

MicrosoftEdgeWebview2Setup.exe /silent /install

check Registry information:
    Microsoft Edge WebView2 Runtim(92.0.902.8)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\Clients\{F3017226-FE2A-4295-8BDF-00C3A9A7E4C5}
    get string value(PV and name)
    Last edited by xiaoyao; Aug 31st, 2021 at 09:58 PM.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    I could, but I won't...
    It doesn't make much sense to save 1 or 2 MB in deployment-size, when "the other needed part" -
    (the "evergreen WebView-runtime" from MS) is about 50MB already.
    ... .. .
    Olaf
    Is there a necessity that the end-user systems (where my application is installed) also should have "evergreen WebView-runtime" installed in them (if not already installed)?

Kind regards.

PowerPoster

You can keep it updated automatically. It's also very convenient. Ie is very rubbish, the edge of the Microsoft's last Straw, he will certainly operate very well.

But if you want to take up less memory, take up less hard disk space, install a fixed old version, this is a better choice.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by softv View Post
    Is there a necessity that the end-user systems (where my application is installed) also should have "evergreen WebView-runtime" installed in them (if not already installed)?
    Yes, of course - but on each of the target-systems, this "base-runtime-installation" will only have to be done once
    (as the "evergreen" suggests, this chromium-runtime will from this point on, be updated by the system).

As for detection, whether a given target-system already contains this runtime,
    you can simply check the output of the GetMostRecentInstallPath-method:
    strInstallPath = WV.GetMostRecentInstallPath

If it gives back an empty string, then you need to inform the user,
    to download the little 1.7MB base-installer from the MS-webpage via this (apparently constant) Link -
    (as already given in the Opener-Posting of this thread):
    https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=2124703

If you ask your user beforehand like this:
    Code:
      If Len(WV.GetMostRecentInstallPath) = 0 Then 'Edge-Chromium-Webview is missing on this system
         If MsgBox("The needed MS-WebView2-runtime is missing," & vbLf & "Do you want to download the installer now?", vbYesNo) = vbYes Then
            New_c.FSO.ShellExecute "https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=2124703"
         End If
      End If
    The little 1.7MB MS-Executable from that download above, will then determine which system the User actually runs (Win7, Win8, Win10) -
    and then download and install the larger (about 50MB-80MB) and properly matching evergreen-runtime which will work best on the given system.

HTH

Olaf

PowerPoster

But if you want to take up less memory, take up less hard disk space, install a fixed old version, this is a better choice.
    Please stop giving misleading advice here in this thread.

Everything you've posted so far here (including your posts #72, #73, #74, #75) -
    contains only your usual nonsensical garbage.

Olaf

PowerPoster

Because at first I didn't know if. Net directly supported the standard version of the edge.
    Just like ie, I thought the system came with WebBrowser controls.
    After the win10, win11, the system recommended by default to install the edge browser software, using the Google kernel, if you can bring webview2 control is convenient, otherwise you need to install 500MB runtime.

I just like automatic installation and deployment.The original detection of whether the edge runtime is installed, it takes more than 10 seconds, so later found a way to find the registry.
    I spent more than a day on it. I just hope others can avoid detours.
    Then I stumbled on the silent installation method.

PowerPoster

Thank you for your contribution to the highly encapsulated Google kernel.
    I just spent more than an hour reading everyone's replies.Many people do not know the problem they solved, but did not leave detailed code.
    Is there a way to open the privacy page?
    For example, create two webview objects in a form.
    But the cookie between them is quarantine each other, is there such a setting?
    If you create objects in multiple threads and use multiple webview controls in the same window, can you improve the running speed?

IE WebBrowser may run in the STA mode. If you create it in multi-thread, the webpage will not show, even if the creation is successful, the running speed is also very slow, and it is actually a message queue processing, eventually is running in the same thread. in.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by rameshpatel9 View Post
    Hi Olaf,

Is there a way to implement late-binding for WebView2? This is to handle a scenario where user has not yet installed pre-requisites (WebView2 Runtime and RC6).
    After my test. The new computer is not installed with WebView Runtime, nor will it be wrong. This is a creating an object, I will be snatched 10 seconds, then the prompt fails. In this case, the automatic download of the runtime installer will be successfully created after the installation is complete.

There is also a problem, rc6.dll. Are there any plans to launch a 64-bit version?
    In this way, VBA, 64-bit office, VB. Net and other IDE or development tools can also use it.
    Twinbasic, and many other IDE alternatives to VB6 are under development, many of which can generate 64-bit exeThe biggest disadvantage of Microsoft's VB6 is that it does not support 64-bit, but VBA has a 64-bit version

Are there any plans to develop a simple webdriver like interface?
    It just uses HTTP or websocket to control a properly installed Google Chrome or Edge browser.

You do not need to install a development version of edge or a webview runtime.

Almost eighty or ninety percent of computers have Google Chrome installed.
    There is an open source project based on the COM interface of Google webview driver. But it hasn't been updated for many years.

A good technician can compile it to 64 bits.And add some of the latest version of the function, because there are some functions have been wrong or outdated.
    Last edited by xiaoyao; Sep 4th, 2021 at 02:13 PM.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast