Thread: Should I learn C language for development of my website?

Should I learn C language for development of my website?

As part of our development programs I was given a task to learn coding for my website. My question is which language should I learn? Is C language fine? Or should I learn JS? I have heard the use of python is growing the most. Can anyone help please?
    Last edited by si_the_geek; Oct 29th, 2020 at 01:31 PM.

Re: Should I learn C language for development of my website?

C# and JavaScript would be the best languages, in my opinion. Python has a certain amount of support, but the thing about the other two is that they are in the C family of syntax, which means that you can move from one language to another fairly easily.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Definately JS... at least the basics of it... then move on to a framework like React or Node.js or something similar. That would be great for the front end. For backend.... it's a much wider field... There's ASP.NET using C# (ala .NET Core), Java using Spring Boot, SCALA, Python, and plenty others... it really comes down to what you want to do with it and if you want a career - and what kind of career. Currently I'm in a JS-React-Redux -> Java-Spring Boot -> Oracle stack after having been in the Microsoft tech for over 30 years... I'm loving it. It's a viable way to go to having a career. Meanwhile .NET Core is on the rise for development... Even after leaving the MS world two years ago I'm still getting emails from recruiters looking for that .NET experience. Maybe I'll swing back around in a year or so and pick up some .NET Core experience.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Hmmm. I read the OP and to me it screams that this is a one-and-done post from this account used only to spam the website linked to.

Moderation in this forum makes little sense.

Mods are extremely aggressive about banning anything related to "advertising", including free (but closed-source) tools that are actually useful to VB devs, but they consistently reply to obvious spam like this.

1) First-time poster
    2) Nothing to do with VB
    3) Link to for-profit site having nothing to do with VB (or even coding in general)

???

1) Everyone was a first-time poster at some point.
    2) It was in the C/C++ forum... there's more to this site than "just" VB.
    3) Yeah, I'll admit even I didn't hover over the link to see where it was going...
    4) I say break the link and leave the thread as is, it's still a valid discussion, regardless or the OP's intentions.
    5) You could also report the post

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *