Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Is it possible to connect SQLServer via internet without opening port like teamview?

  1. #1

    Thread Starter
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    459

    Is it possible to connect SQLServer via internet without opening port like teamview?

    Is it possible to connect SQL Server via internet without opening port like teamview software ?
    When installing the software to connect SQL database over the internet, I have to declare to open the port to get data. I want to make this installation simple, I can rewrite the SQL Server data connection without opening the same port like temview software or Ultraview software? If so how would the code be written or there is a sample for this case ?

  2. #2
    .NUT jmcilhinney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    105,729

    Re: Is it possible to connect SQLServer via internet without opening port like teamvi

    The port generally needs to be opened at the server end, not the client end. If the server port is not open then any request from the client will be rejected.

    That said, you really shouldn't be connecting directly to a database over the internet anyway. Over a LAN, yes, and perhaps via a VPN connection to that network, but not over the internet because it's a much greater security risk. If you want applications to access a database over the internet then it is generally done via a web service. The web service runs on the same machine or network as the database and that's where the direct access takes place, then clients connect to the web service and can thus only perform the operations that it supports. For instance, if data should never be deleted then your web service would have no delete operation and, even if it became compromised, an attacker could never delete any data.

  3. #3

    Thread Starter
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    459

    Re: Is it possible to connect SQLServer via internet without opening port like teamvi

    You do not understand my question, in my opinion that the SQL Server connection according to Microsoft standards must have a static IP, Port, user and password to connect via the Internet, this connection is like the connection of the VNC software to control the machine. from remote computer, meanwhile teamView and Ultraview software have the same function as VNC software which only uses IP, user and password to connect, you should note that teamView and UltraView software do not use a port to connect. , in this case I want to ask can you design or write code to connect SQL Server without using port like teamView or Ultraview software ?

  4. #4
    A SQL Server fool GaryMazzone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dover,NH
    Posts
    7,437

    Re: Is it possible to connect SQLServer via internet without opening port like teamvi

    No SQL Server requires a port to be open and listening on that port. (this is setup in the SQL Server Config software/plugin)
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

    Mazz1

  5. #5
    PowerPoster techgnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    33,058

    Re: Is it possible to connect SQLServer via internet without opening port like teamvi

    Quote Originally Posted by dong View Post
    You do not understand my question, in my opinion that the SQL Server connection according to Microsoft standards must have a static IP, Port, user and password to connect via the Internet, this connection is like the connection of the VNC software to control the machine. from remote computer, meanwhile teamView and Ultraview software have the same function as VNC software which only uses IP, user and password to connect, you should note that teamView and UltraView software do not use a port to connect. , in this case I want to ask can you design or write code to connect SQL Server without using port like teamView or Ultraview software ?
    You probably don't understand how it all works. Applications like teamView and UltraView DO use a port. Every connection uses a port. Some ports are standard. Like port 80 ... that's used for HTTP ... you don't specify a port when using your browser, and that's because it's all standardized to use port 80 by default. teamVuew and UltraView are probably the same way. They are either using the http port (80) or a dedicated port that it is able to open on its own - because they are peer-to-peer, they can do this. Database servers aren't p2p. The reason you specify a port for SQL Server is because ports for databases aren't standardized. SQL Server uses 1332 (I think, it's been a while, but for discussion. let's go with that) while MySql will use a different one. Additionally, these ports tend to be blocked by firewalls by default. For a very good reason. Security. Additionally you can configure SQL Server to be on different ports. This is why it isn't automatic.

    -tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

  6. #6
    PowerPoster kfcSmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,224

    Re: Is it possible to connect SQLServer via internet without opening port like teamvi

    Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    You probably don't understand how it all works. Applications like teamView and UltraView DO use a port. Every connection uses a port. Some ports are standard. Like port 80 ... that's used for HTTP ... you don't specify a port when using your browser, and that's because it's all standardized to use port 80 by default. teamVuew and UltraView are probably the same way. They are either using the http port (80) or a dedicated port that it is able to open on its own - because they are peer-to-peer, they can do this. Database servers aren't p2p. The reason you specify a port for SQL Server is because ports for databases aren't standardized. SQL Server uses 1332 (I think, it's been a while, but for discussion. let's go with that) while MySql will use a different one. Additionally, these ports tend to be blocked by firewalls by default. For a very good reason. Security. Additionally you can configure SQL Server to be on different ports. This is why it isn't automatic.

    -tg
    1433 is the default SQL port I believe.

    Also to note is that remote support tools usually get around a firewall by making an outbound connection, rather than having the remoter trying to connect externally.

    A typical firewall will have inbound ports blocked by default unless it is from an already established or related connection.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator dday9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Posts
    9,764

    Re: Is it possible to connect SQLServer via internet without opening port like teamvi

    I have moved this thread to database development, but if y'all feel like this belongs in general development or even general PC please let me know.

  8. #8
    PowerPoster Zvoni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    To the moon and then left
    Posts
    2,288

    Re: Is it possible to connect SQLServer via internet without opening port like teamvi

    Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    You probably don't understand how it all works. Applications like teamView and UltraView DO use a port. Every connection uses a port. Some ports are standard. Like port 80 ... that's used for HTTP ... you don't specify a port when using your browser, and that's because it's all standardized to use port 80 by default. teamVuew and UltraView are probably the same way. They are either using the http port (80) or a dedicated port that it is able to open on its own - because they are peer-to-peer, they can do this. Database servers aren't p2p. The reason you specify a port for SQL Server is because ports for databases aren't standardized. SQL Server uses 1332 (I think, it's been a while, but for discussion. let's go with that) while MySql will use a different one. Additionally, these ports tend to be blocked by firewalls by default. For a very good reason. Security. Additionally you can configure SQL Server to be on different ports. This is why it isn't automatic.

    -tg
    Ehhhh.....wrong!
    I know for a fact, that TeamViewer has a central Server, where all clients connect to /register themselves with. That's the server which assigns you your TeamViewerID.
    So, TeamViewer is not P2P, but client/server, probably over a public port, which is open (as mentioned: Port 80 is a good bet).

    Why i say, that i know this for a fact?
    My Dad got his Laptop stolen from his shop some years ago, and i had TeamViewer installed on that Laptop.
    Within a few days i noticed that Laptop going "online" via my own TeamViewer-Client-Account, and i notified the police of it.
    They got a warrant for TeamViewer-Company to present the records for that TeamViewer-ID (IP etc. for that TimeStamp).
    Sadly, that guy got lucky since he used a "mobile" IP (Hotspot on Smartphone or similiar).

    EDIT: To get back at OP's "Problem": register a Dynamic DNS-Address, setup a webservice/webserver on your machine, configure Router and/or DynDNS-Entry, then he should be able to Log into his SQL-Server without using/knowing the actual Port, SQL-Server is listening on.
    Last edited by Zvoni; Oct 28th, 2020 at 10:47 AM.
    One System to rule them all, One IDE to find them,
    One Code to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For health reasons i try to avoid reading unformatted Code

  9. #9
    PowerPoster techgnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    33,058

    Re: Is it possible to connect SQLServer via internet without opening port like teamvi

    Quote Originally Posted by Zvoni View Post
    Ehhhh.....wrong!
    I know for a fact, that TeamViewer has a central Server, where all clients connect to /register themselves with. That's the server which assigns you your TeamViewerID.
    So, TeamViewer is not P2P, but client/server, probably over a public port, which is open (as mentioned: Port 80 is a good bet).

    Why i say, that i know this for a fact?
    My Dad got his Laptop stolen from his shop some years ago, and i had TeamViewer installed on that Laptop.
    Within a few days i noticed that Laptop going "online" via my own TeamViewer-Client-Account, and i notified the police of it.
    They got a warrant for TeamViewer-Company to present the records for that TeamViewer-ID (IP etc. for that TimeStamp).
    Sadly, that guy got lucky since he used a "mobile" IP (Hotspot on Smartphone or similiar).

    EDIT: To get back at OP's "Problem": register a Dynamic DNS-Address, setup a webservice/webserver on your machine, configure Router and/or DynDNS-Entry, then he should be able to Log into his SQL-Server without using/knowing the actual Port, SQL-Server is listening on.
    I sit corrected...

    -tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

  10. #10

    Thread Starter
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    459

    Re: Is it possible to connect SQLServer via internet without opening port like teamvi

    Have you used VNC software yet ? If you have not used VNC software, please try it yourself before answering this topic, this is a remote control software, VNC software uses IP, Port, User and password, after the version This version is the improved TeamView or UltraView software that no longer uses Port. Maybe you say the remote control software uses the p2p protocol while SQL Server uses tcp protocol. Temporarily I do not mention SQL Server, I will mention the issue of remote control software VNC and teamView, VNC software and teamView, these 2 softwares and operating mechanism of remote control, at Why does VNC have to open the port while teamView cannot open the port but still can run through the Internet ? In my opinion teamView also has the Port open, but the port is located on the teamView provider's server, I guess but I am not sure this problem. Have you ever learned these 2 software: VNC and teamView ? teamView uses private port TCP / UDP port 5938 of provider teamView https://www.teamviewer.com/en/trust-...%20this%20port
    Last edited by dong; Oct 28th, 2020 at 08:53 PM.

  11. #11
    .NUT jmcilhinney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    105,729

    Re: Is it possible to connect SQLServer via internet without opening port like teamvi

    Quote Originally Posted by dong View Post
    Have you used VNC software yet ? If you have not used VNC software, please try it yourself before answering this topic, this is a remote control software, VNC software uses IP, Port, User and password, after the version This version is the improved TeamView or UltraView software that no longer uses Port. Maybe you say the remote control software uses the p2p protocol while SQL Server uses tcp protocol. Temporarily I do not mention SQL Server, I will mention the issue of remote control software VNC and teamView, VNC software and teamView, these 2 softwares and operating mechanism of remote control, at Why does VNC have to open the port while teamView cannot open the port but still can run through the Internet ? In my opinion teamView also has the Port open, but the port is located on the teamView provider's server, I guess but I am not sure this problem. Have you ever learned these 2 software: VNC and teamView ?
    Other software is irrelevant. SQL Server works the way it works. Telling us how you think other software works isn't going to change that. If you're not going to listen to people when they try to answer your questions then why ask them in the first place?

  12. #12

    Thread Starter
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    459

    Re: Is it possible to connect SQLServer via internet without opening port like teamvi

    teamView uses separate port TCP / UDP port 5938 of teamView provider, in addition, we also use common port TCP PORT 443, TCP PORT 80, the question I posed can design for SQL Servert to connect not using Port as teamView, in my opinion, does not currently exist but in the technical future do not use the possible port for SQL Server https://www.teamviewer.com/en/trust-...%20this%20port

  13. #13
    A SQL Server fool GaryMazzone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dover,NH
    Posts
    7,437

    Re: Is it possible to connect SQLServer via internet without opening port like teamvi

    If the port (1433 default or whatever you use in SQL Configuration manager SQL Native Client Config TCP/IP port like a second instance or just to officiate the port) 1899) is not set the SQL Server is not accept any connections from a computer itself is not running on. So in a way you can do what you are asking by placing a Web API built to connect to SQL Server using named pipes or shared memory on the same server as the SQL Server, create a a web app that calls that API to perform whatever function you want.
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

    Mazz1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width