Thread: How to get YouTube PlayList video links.

Lively Member

How to get YouTube PlayList video links.

Hi, I am trying to create a simple tool that will save the link and title from my playlist as many times a video is being deleted and there is no way to retrieve the name of it. Such a pity..
    So, I've been googling a lot and there is a way using YouTube Api.
    I'd like to make it easier and my main idea was to get playlist list html, but since videos links are not formatted as links, I have to skip this idea.
    Endeed the html for every video in the videos list in playlist is:
    Code:
    {"videoId":"j6QkVTx2d88","thumbnail":{"thumbnails":[{"url":"https://i.ytimg.com/vi/j6QkVTx2d88/hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEYCKgBEF5IVfKriqkDCwgBFQAAiEIYAXAB\u0026rs=AOn4CLCIkWbekWo0sw5Ck8jcB5KpW6u_dA","width":168,"height":94},{"url":"https://i.ytimg.com/vi/j6QkVTx2d88/hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEYCMQBEG5IVfKriqkDCwgBFQAAiEIYAXAB\u0026rs=AOn4CLB9LSSNe63WE--MINkBx1O400nCvA","width":196,"height":110},{"url":"https://i.ytimg.com/vi/j6QkVTx2d88/hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEZCPYBEIoBSFXyq4qpAwsIARUAAIhCGAFwAQ==\u0026rs=AOn4CLA6fL6ji2ouMF9lYjOQEXTkbn7XIw","width":246,"height":138},{"url":"https://i.ytimg.com/vi/j6QkVTx2d88/hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEZCNACELwBSFXyq4qpAwsIARUAAIhCGAFwAQ==\u0026rs=AOn4CLA0TpWD5sBE_Os4RjHmhlqIlfjpjA","width":336,"height":188}]},"title":{"runs":[{"text":"Peter Tosh - Legalize It"}],"accessibility":{"accessibilityData":{"label":"Peter Tosh - Legalize It di Bondade é Nosso Hábito 8 anni fa 4 minuti e 46 secondi"}}},"index":{"simpleText":"1"},"shortBylineText":{"runs":[{"text":"Bondade é Nosso Hábito","navigationEndpoint":{"clickTrackingParams":"CEcQxjQYACITCKu_rqefzuwCFTPASQcdz2IKWg==","commandMetadata":{"webCommandMetadata":{"url":"/user/Bruno12170","webPageType":"WEB_PAGE_TYPE_CHANNEL","rootVe":3611}},"browseEndpoint":{"browseId":"UCY1IJY2IYNVfD7R-JbgQGbQ","canonicalBaseUrl":"/user/Bruno12170"}}}]},"lengthText":{"accessibility":{"accessibilityData":{"label":"4 minuti e 46 secondi"}},"simpleText":"4:46"},"navigationEndpoint":{"clickTrackingParams":"CEcQxjQYACITCKu_rqefzuwCFTPASQcdz2IKWjIKcGxwcF92aWRlb1okVkxQTDRfRHg4OGRwdTdlcGZINnlid3FKcGY5dUwydEFsMzY4mgEDEPos","commandMetadata":{"webCommandMetadata":{"url":"/watch?v=j6QkVTx2d88\u0026list=PL4_Dx88dpu7epfH6ybwqJpf9uL2tAl368\u0026index=1","webPageType":"WEB_PAGE_TYPE_WATCH","rootVe":3832}},"watchEndpoint":
    The 3 string in red are what I would like to extract.
    So, I tried with the last one using:
    Code:
    Dim textafter As String = """,""webPageType"        
    Dim textbefore As String = """url"":""/watch?v="
            Dim startPosition As Integer = RichTextBox1.Text.IndexOf(textbefore)
            startPosition += textbefore.Length
            Dim endPosition As Integer = RichTextBox1.Text.IndexOf(textafter, startPosition)
            Dim textFound As String = RichTextBox1.Text.Substring(startPosition, endPosition - startPosition)
            RichTextBox1.AppendText(textFound)
    This code output is : "j6QkVTx2d88\u0026list=PL4_Dx88dpu7epfH6ybwqJpf9uL2tAl368\u0026index=1" as it is supposed to do. But in the playlist page, there are obviously more than one video. How can I use For each Loop in this case and Is it possible to extract videoId, text(title) and url all together using my code? Thanks

Re: How to get YouTube PlayList video links.

Are you aware that that data is in JSON format? That is probably THE most common format for exchanging data with web APIs these days. I suggest that you do a bit of research on JSON and working with it in .NET. There are tools to work with it as objects so you don't have to resort to nasty string manipulation.

Lively Member

You are right and this is new to me.
    Is there a way to see it formatted while I'm looking to the source code?
    Anyway I tried with 3 different things:
    Code:
    Dim json As String = RichTextBox1.Text

Dim ser As JObject = JObject.Parse(json)
        Dim data As List(Of JToken) = ser.Children().ToList

For Each item As JProperty In data
            item.CreateReader()

For Each msg As JObject In item.Values

Dim first_name As String = msg("Text")
                Dim last_name As String = msg("url")

Next

Next
    Code:
     Dim json As JObject = JObject.Parse(Me.RichTextBox1.Text)
        MsgBox(json.SelectToken("title").SelectToken("text"))
    Code:
                Dim o As JObject = JObject.Parse("{""title"":  {
       ""runs"": [
         {
       ""text"": ""Peter Tosh - Legalize It""
         }
       ],
       ""accessibility"": {
         ""accessibilityData"": {
       ""label"": ""Peter Tosh - Legalize It by Bondade é Nosso Hábito 8 years ago 4 minutes, 46 seconds""
         }
       }
     },
     ""index"": {
       ""simpleText"": ""1""
     },
     ""shortBylineText"": {
       ""runs"": [
         {
       ""text"": ""Bondade é Nosso Hábito"",
       ""navigationEndpoint"": {
         ""clickTrackingParams"": ""CD0QxjQYACITCMn2heSTz-wCFUmw1Qod1hMDdw=="",
         ""commandMetadata"": {
           ""webCommandMetadata"": {
             ""url"": ""/user/Bruno12170"",
             ""webPageType"": ""WEB_PAGE_TYPE_CHANNEL"",
             ""rootVe"": 3611
           }
         },
         ""browseEndpoint"": {
           ""browseId"": ""UCY1IJY2IYNVfD7R-JbgQGbQ"",
           ""canonicalBaseUrl"": ""/user/Bruno12170""
         }
       }
         }
       ]
     },
     ""lengthText"": {
       ""accessibility"": {
         ""accessibilityData"": {
       ""label"": ""4 minutes, 46 seconds""
         }
       },
       ""simpleText"": ""4:46""
     },
     ""navigationEndpoint"": {
       ""clickTrackingParams"": ""CD0QxjQYACITCMn2heSTz-wCFUmw1Qod1hMDdzIKcGxwcF92aWRlb1okVkxQTDRfRHg4OGRwdTdlcGZINnlid3FKcGY5dUwydEFsMzY4mgEDEPos"",
       ""commandMetadata"": {
         ""webCommandMetadata"": {
       ""url"": ""/watch?v=j6QkVTx2d88&list=PL4_Dx88dpu7epfH6ybwqJpf9uL2tAl368&index=1"",
       ""webPageType"": ""WEB_PAGE_TYPE_WATCH"",
       ""rootVe"": 3832
         } } }")

Dim fc As String = o("text")("url").ToString()
        End Sub
    but none of them is working.. What can I do to fix it? Thanks
    Last edited by si_the_geek; Oct 25th, 2020 at 01:22 PM. Reason: fixed formatting issue

Quote Originally Posted by matty95srk View Post
    none of them is working
    That's never an adequate explanation. A proper explanation includes what you expect to happen and what actually happens. If there are compilation errors, what they are and where they occur is required. I'm no expert when it comes to JSON but I may be able to help if I know what I'm looking for, so don't keep information that you have a secret when it might help indicate what to look for.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    That's never an adequate explanation. A proper explanation includes what you expect to happen and what actually happens. If there are compilation errors, what they are and where they occur is required. I'm no expert when it comes to JSON but I may be able to help if I know what I'm looking for, so don't keep information that you have a secret when it might help indicate what to look for.
    I thought I was clear.. My bad. So I just want to grab title and url. Anyway, I tried Youtube Api and this is returning max 50 songs for page. Then I am supposed to use nextpage Token, which is totally non sense to me. The only good thing about youtube api is that is giving straight the Json Code.
    In this case, I'll come back using :
    Code:
    Dim textafter As String = """,""webPageType"        
    Dim textbefore As String = """url"":""/watch?v="
    Dim startPosition As Integer = RichTextBox1.Text.IndexOf(textbefore)
    startPosition += textbefore.Length
    Dim endPosition As Integer = RichTextBox1.Text.IndexOf(textafter, startPosition)
    Dim textFound As String = RichTextBox1.Text.Substring(startPosition, endPosition - startPosition)
    RichTextBox1.Text=(textFound)
    The only problem with this is that is giving back the first url. I don't know how to loop it, but it should work in a for each.