Thread: I opened chrome using shell, how can I close all instances of open Chrome using VB6?

I opened chrome using shell, how can I close all instances of open Chrome using VB6?

Is there a way to close all instances of Chrome that are open on my computer?

PowerPoster

Re: I opened chrome using shell, how can I close all instances of open Chrome using V

That would be malware. We don't do that here.

Re: I opened chrome using shell, how can I close all instances of open Chrome using V

That is in no way malware. I just want a kill button on the bottom of my screen to close all the open browsers I have on my desktop. How is that in any way malware?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJohn View Post
    That is in no way malware. I just want a kill button on the bottom of my screen to close all the open browsers I have on my desktop. How is that in any way malware?
    Right click on the Chrome icon at the taskbar and select "Close all windows"

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    Malware kills :-))
    Haha, I know the Kill funcion, but how do I know what Chrome is called?

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    Right click on the Chrome icon at the taskbar and select "Close all windows"
    *facepalm*

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJohn View Post
    *facepalm*
    That's what you asked for.

That's what you asked for.
    Not exactly. The question was how to close chrome using VB6. Honestly, I just don't know how to figure out what programs are called in VB6. I have used the kill function for forms, can I use that on Chrome? Or how to I find out what the windows handle is so I can use the API?

PowerPoster

We usually don't help people when we suspect the question is for doing malware. And your question does not make much sense... and there is no "kill funtion for forms"... and the phrase "what programs are called in VB6" makes no sense either.
    Good luck.

oh my, how I miss PSC. Is everybody on here so combative, or is it the election got everybody all fired up?

It does make since. Windows uses hwnd to identify programs, and some programs like notepad are just called notepad. I put in chrome and it doesn't work. When I used to program alot, chrome wasn't a thing, we used IE for everything, if we didn't do our own browsers. I was just looking for some insight. I'm not sure what malware one would do closing browsers, that would be silly anyways. I spent years using VB6 and PSC (planet source code) making everything from POS (cash register) systems, to running an I/O card turning on and off all the equipment in a carwash. I just have never had to close programs I didn't write, it was an easy question, would have taken 5 minutes on PSC with their search menu. And if I couldn't find it, in the old days of PSC, you would just ask the question and people would help with code. I dunno, here live the trolls ??? Anybody on here actually code???

I don't work for anonymous, I'm not a hacker, I'm not trying to destroy the world. I'm a mid 40s international businessman teaching my son how to write code, and this is a project he wanted to do. My 12 year old thought it would be awesome to make an EXE he could send to his friends on their windows PC's that opens up his youtube page, shows a video, and then closes by itself after they watch the video. Do I think it's a silly project, yes. Does my 12 year old think it's magical, yes. For some reason it has to be chrome for him. And I'll do anything to get him off of video games and into code writing, so this is a great start...
    Last edited by CaptainJohn; Oct 23rd, 2020 at 08:11 PM.

You are right, the kill was back in the DOS days to erase things, not VB6...

PowerPoster

One site that has the PSC projects and with a search function is this.

One site that has the PSC projects and with a search function is this.
    That is great, I can figure it out from here! You are the best, thanks for your help!

Just in case anybody else is looking to do something similar! Here is some code to help others

https://www.fortypoundhead.com/showc...sp?artid=24093
    Last edited by CaptainJohn; Oct 23rd, 2020 at 08:03 PM.

Fanatic Member

kill the process chrome. exe

Quote Originally Posted by xxdoc123 View Post
    kill the process chrome. exe
    That is way easier than what I was trying to do. Thank you.

Shell "taskkill.exe /f /t /im chrome.exe"

yup...