Thread: How to keep focus on textbox when opening a browser or another app from an action

How to keep focus on textbox when opening a browser or another app from an action

Hi.

We have an app (in VB .net) where a user uses Dragon to enter text (voice to text) in a specific textbox. The problem is that we have a button that has the action to open a browser window and the user loses focus from the box.

Is there a way to keep the focus on said textbox when opening the other app? So that the user continue using dictation without having to go back with a mouse.

Thanks en advance!

Re: How to keep focus on textbox when opening a browser or another app from an action

This is likely two-fold:
    1. The Focus in your application switches to the button
    2. Your application is no longer the active window

You will likely need to use the SetForegroundWindow API (documentation) to make your application active after the browser opens.

You can switch focus from the button to your textbox by calling the Select method (documentation).
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Re: How to keep focus on textbox when opening a browser or another app from an action

Thank you very much for the infor dday9! I'll be checking the documentation tonight

I started thinking about it and it seems as if you want your form to be the topmost form anyways. If that's the case, I would do one of two things depending on what you're trying to achieve:
    1. Set the Form's TopMost property to True (documentation)
    2. Setup a checkbox that the user can check/uncheck to toggle the TopMost property and set the checked state to true by default

"Setup a checkbox that the user can check/uncheck to toggle the TopMost property and set the checked state to true by default"

This is what i was trying to do with another method but it was not working. I'll try with setting the topmost property of the form to true first.

Thanks again!

Actually, I just tested it on my end. Setting the TopMost property alone won't work because even though the application is at the top of the z-order, it still isn't the active window.

You'll still need to use the SetForegroundWindow API.

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    This is likely two-fold:
    1. The Focus in your application switches to the button
    2. Your application is no longer the active window

You will likely need to use the SetForegroundWindow API (documentation) to make your application active after the browser opens.

You can switch focus from the button to your textbox by calling the Select method (documentation).
    It may or may not be what you want but it is possible to create a custom Button control that doesn't take focus when you click it. That would solve that part of the problem at least. If you're interested, follow the CodeBank link in my signature below and check out my On-Screen Keyboard thread.