Thread: Issues with connecting to SQL Server from VB.Net using SQLOLEDB connection string

Issues with connecting to SQL Server from VB.Net using SQLOLEDB connection string

Hi! Hope you are well.

I want to use ADO recordsets against a SQL Server database.

I am trying to connect to a Sql Server database using the connnection string

"Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=HSSQL001;Initial Catalog=2020_Consumer_13;Trusted_Connection=yes;"

My code is:
    Code:
    Private Sub LoadDataForEdit()
            Dim a26fields(25) As String
            Dim conn As New ADODB.Connection
            Dim strRequestedId As String = "" ' = txtSurveyId.Text

If txtSurveyId.Text <> "" Then
                strRequestedId = txtSurveyId.Text

conn.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=HSSQL001;Initial Catalog=2020_Consumer_13;Trusted_Connection=yes;"         

conn.Open()

Call ChildClearForm()
                Dim ssql As String
                Dim objRecordset As New ADODB.Recordset

ssql = "Select * FROM [2020Survey] WHERE Id = '" & strRequestedId & "'"

objRecordset.Open(ssql, sconn, ADODB.CursorTypeEnum.adOpenStatic, ADODB.LockTypeEnum.adLockOptimistic)

If objRecordset.RecordCount = 0 Then
                    MessageBox.Show("Survey Id: " & strRequestedId & " does not exist in the database!", "CONSUMER SURVEY", MessageBoxButtons.OK)

Else

With objRecordset
                        Process Recordset
    		End With
    	    End

End If
    End Sub
    I get an error: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (SECDoClientHandshake()).]SSL Security error.

If someone could please assist me.

Re: Issues with connecting to SQL Server from VB.Net using SQLOLEDB connection string

I Googled the error and there are several things worth trying in this article along with a brief description of what goes on under the covers.

https://www.sqlnethub.com/blog/dbnet...error-resolve/
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Re: Issues with connecting to SQL Server from VB.Net using SQLOLEDB connection string

Is there a reason for using SQLOLEDB and ADO and not ADO.Net with a proper provider?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I see that you have been using VB.NET for several years so I also have to question why you aren't using it "properly". If you're upgrading a VB6 application that already uses ADO then that's one thing. If you're writing new VB.NET code from scratch though, there's no excuse for not using ADO.NET. You may have a reason, e.g. you know ADO better than ADO.NET, but it's most likely not a good reason. If this is work and you're supervisor is telling you to use ADO then I guess you have no choice but it's still a very bad choice.

All of this would be a lot easier and cleaner if you just used ADO.Net instead of ADO as jmc suggested.

Also, I noticed that the Integrated Security variable is missing from your connection string. I am of course assuming that the instance of SQL Server that you're trying to connect to is using Windows authentication.
    Last edited by Niya; Oct 26th, 2020 at 12:55 PM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Also, I noticed that the Integrated Security variable is missing from your connection string.
    Trusted_Connection is a synonym for Integrated Security. In theory, they should do the same thing.