Thread: LVS_OWNERDATA and sorting

PowerPoster

LVS_OWNERDATA and sorting

Has anyone ever implemented a sorting routine for virtual ListViews? Figured I'd ask before I went crazy reinventing the wheel; basic search didn't turn up anything. Trying to convert my shell browser to virtual mode... should be, well, interesting.

PowerPoster

Re: LVS_OWNERDATA and sorting

It's just a question of sorting your backing data.

I normally use an ADO Recordset to hold the data, which makes sorting pretty easy.

See: https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....=1#post4827625

PowerPoster

I realize you probably aren't using a query rowset as backing storage, but you can always use a fabricated Recordset. No database is needed for ADO Recordsets.

The point about LVS_OWNERDATA is that you are absolutely free in the choice of how you manage your data. The control really doesn't care what you use for sorting - as discussed, btw, here in May 2018

So pick a fast routine, from a C dll for example. I have a 100,000 records database from the post by dilettante mentioned above, it gets sorted in about 60-80ms on my trusty old Core i5. Excel needs more than a second, OpenOffice is another factor 10 slower. I've heard that Python offers really fast string sorts, maybe that's worth a test - if speed matters at all for you.

The only project where I use virtual listview & sort, the data is not recordset-bound. In my case, the items are initially sorted when read from unsorted source. As suggested, use a fast sorting routine as needed or use sorted indexes. If recordset-bound, already suggested to use its sorting functions.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}