Thread: VB Help Needed

Post VB Help Needed

"I am trying to complete this exercise."

Modify the btnDisplay_Click procedure so that it uses two functions named GetGrade101 and GetGrade201 to get the appropriate grade; the procedure should then display the grade in the lblGrade control. Change the two independent Sub procedures to functions that return the appropriate grade to the statements that invoke them in the btnDisplay_Click procedure. Each function should contain a parameter that accepts the total points passed to it.

This is my code......
    Code:
    Option Explicit On
    Option Strict Off
    Option Infer Off

Public Class frmMain
        Dim intPoints As Integer
        Dim Grade As String
        Dim GGrade As String

' Independent Sub procedures.
        Private Function GetGrade101(ByVal intPoints As Integer) As String

Select Case intPoints
                Case Is >= "90"
                    Grade = "A"
                Case Is >= "80"
                    Grade = "B"
                Case Else
                    Grade = "F"

End Select
            Return Grade
        End Function
        Private Function GetGrade102(ByVal intPoints As Integer) As String
            Select Case intPoints
                Case Is >= "75"
                    Grade = "P"
                Case Else
                    Grade = "F"

End Select
            Return intPoints
        End Function

Private Sub btnDisplay_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnDisplay.Click
            ' Calls independent Sub procedures to display a grade.

If radHis101.Checked Then

lblGrade.Text = GetGrade101(intPoints)

Else
                lblGrade.Text = GetGrade102(intPoints)

End If

End Sub

Private Sub btnExit_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnExit.Click
            Me.Close()
        End Sub

Private Sub txtPoints_Enter(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles txtPoints.Enter
            txtPoints.SelectAll()
        End Sub

Private Sub ClearGrade(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles txtPoints.TextChanged, radHis101.CheckedChanged, radHis201.CheckedChanged
            lblGrade.Text = String.Empty
        End Sub

Private Sub txtPoints_KeyPress(sender As Object, e As KeyPressEventArgs) Handles txtPoints.KeyPress
            ' Accept only numbers and the Backspace key

If (e.KeyChar < "0" OrElse e.KeyChar > "9") AndAlso e.KeyChar <> ControlChars.Back Then
                e.Handled = True
            End If
        End Sub
    End Class
    Any help or guidance will be appreciated.
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Oct 15th, 2020 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Added CODE tags.

Re: VB Help Needed

Basically when I click the buttondisplay is should show me a letter grade based on the radbutton I picked while converting the number grade put in the text points text box to a letter grade to display in lblgrade control

Welcome to the forums, I edited your post to wrap the code in [CODE][/CODE] tags, which you can do by pressing the # button and pasting the code between the resulting tags, or pasting in the code, then highlighting and pressing the # button.

The first thing I noticed can be seen in this line:

Case Is >= "90"

You are comparing an integer to a string ("90"). That probably means that you have Option Strict OFF, because otherwise you have a conversion going on, and I have no idea which way it would convert, in this case. For the code to work, you'd have to have the string implicitly convert to an integer, which may well happen, but it's a bad idea. If the compiler decided to convert the integer to a string, then compare the two strings, the comparison would not work the way you are hoping for. For example, "100"<"90" even though 100>90.

Another point, that isn't going to cause immediate problems, but which is a bad idea, is that you are returning a class level variable from the functions. You should make a local variable set that, and return that, then use the return to set the form level variable Grade. By using the form level variable the way you are using it, while there may be no problem...ever, you run the risk of some nasty little interactions creeping into the code that would cause bizarre behavior, someday. So, it's not going to cause immediate harm, but it's not a good idea.

A third point that you almost certainly won't be allowed to do anything about, is the simple fact that you are using a textbox for numeric entry, which is why you have to handle the keypress event in a vain attempt to limit what gets entered. It will mostly work...until somebody copies and pastes something into the textbox, in which case the Keypress event won't fire, and they can put anything they want in there, which will then crash the program if it isn't an integer. A far better solution would be to use a NumericUpDown control and get the .Value property of that (it has a .Text property, but don't use it). The NUD already only allows numbers, and you can set the range, which in this case would probably be 0 to 100. Still, from the way you worded the question, I doubt you can make THAT change. It's just something to keep in mind for later.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

To remove Pasting...

Code:
    Public Class numericTextbox

Inherits TextBox

Const WM_PASTE As Integer = &H302

Protected Overrides Sub OnKeyPress(ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyPressEventArgs)
            ' Accept only numbers and the Backspace key

If (e.KeyChar < 48 OrElse e.KeyChar > 57) AndAlso e.KeyChar <> ControlChars.Back Then
                e.Handled = True
            End If
            MyBase.OnKeyPress(e)
        End Sub

Protected Overrides Sub WndProc(ByRef m As System.Windows.Forms.Message)
            If m.Msg = WM_PASTE Then
                Return
            End If
            MyBase.WndProc(m)
        End Sub

End Class
    For a more comprehensive numeric TextBox...

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....numericTextbox