Thread: How do I output from a PShell script (PSObjects?) to a WinForms TextBox in real-time?

How do I output from a PShell script (PSObjects?) to a WinForms TextBox in real-time?

Hey Guys and Gals,

I am executing a PowerShell script from a Visual Basic WinForms UI, and I managed to code it so it executes on a BackgroundWorker thread so that the UI doesn't lock up while the script is running. What it does is imports a .printerExport file to add printers and drivers to a target host, and it runs great. The only issue is that I set the output of the PSObjects to a TextBox and they all get output at the end once the script is completed, rather than output in real time like it would in a PowerShell console window.

I have tried multiple things to get it to output in real-time, but I am just about at my wit's end, and even ReportProgress doesn't manage to get the real-time output as well.

Can someone here help me as to how I can get this done? Thank you so much in advance if anyone can help. Below are the three involved Sub functions I am currently using:

Code:
    Private Sub BackgroundWorker1_DoWork(sender As Object, e As System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs) Handles BackgroundWorker1.DoWork

Dim HostName As String
            Dim PrintName As String
            Dim SourceFilePath As String
            Dim DestinationPath As String
            Dim FileName As String

HostName = txtHostName.Text
            PrintName = "\\" & txtHostName.Text
            SourceFilePath = txtFilePath.Text
            DestinationPath = PrintName & "\c$\Temp\"

If String.IsNullOrEmpty(HostName) Or String.IsNullOrEmpty(SourceFilePath) Then
                MessageBox.Show("Please enter the target host name and choose a file path.")
                Return
            End If

FileName = Path.GetFileName(SourceFilePath)

File.Copy(SourceFilePath, Path.Combine(DestinationPath, Path.GetFileName(SourceFilePath)), True)

Dim PsEnv As New RunspaceInvoke
            Dim App As String = $"Invoke-Command -ComputerName {HostName} {{C:\Windows\System32\spool\tools\Printbrm.exe -r -s {PrintName} -f ""C:\Temp\{FileName}""}}"
            Dim AppObjects As Collection(Of PSObject) = PsEnv.Invoke(App)
            Dim Output As New StringBuilder()
            Dim id As Integer = 0

For Each psobj2 As PSObject In AppObjects
                id += 1
                BackgroundWorker1.ReportProgress(id, psobj2.ToString() & vbCrLf & vbCrLf)
            Next

End Sub

Private Sub BackgroundWorker1_ProgressChanged(sender As Object, e As System.ComponentModel.ProgressChangedEventArgs) Handles BackgroundWorker1.ProgressChanged

Dim userState As String = CType(e.UserState, String)
            TextBox3.AppendText(userState)

End Sub

Private Sub buttonInstall_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles buttonInstall.Click

BackgroundWorker1.WorkerReportsProgress = True
            BackgroundWorker1.RunWorkerAsync()

End Sub

Re: How do I output from a PShell script (PSObjects?) to a WinForms TextBox in real-t

Re: How do I output from a PShell script (PSObjects?) to a WinForms TextBox in real-t

Hey jdc, thank you for the reply. I have seen both of those, however the second link I figured wouldn’t be much use as it is on writing the powershell script itself in an async manner, but I am already running it async via the BackgroundWorker thread. The first link I forgot about, and will see if I can figure something out with it. Thank you again for the post.

Update, the first link is just how to set the output to a TextBox or other control in a GUI application. I am already receiving the output to a TextBox, but the issue is that the output is all at once when the script has finished executing rather than outputting to the TextBox in real-time.

Thank you for that second one, looks somewhat promising for the script parts where I call printbrm.exe and can redirect that output. I would just need to figure out how to redirect PowerShell output itself from PowerShell commands such as Add-PrinterDriver in the event where I get a console error such as

Add-PrinterDriver : The specified driver does not exist in the driver store.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Add-PrinterDriver -ComputerName LON-LT142564 -Name "Xerox AltaLink C8 ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (MSFT_PrinterDriver:ROOT/StandardCimv2/MSFT_PrinterDriver) [Add-PrinterDri
    ver], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : HRESULT 0x80070705,Add-PrinterDriver

Thank you for your help so far.

All the best