Thread: Reparations for slavery

Threaded View

PowerPoster

Reparations for slavery

What is this suppose to achieve?

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/...145508334.html

Is giving some money to people going to solve our racial problems. Imagine if all the countries of the world would have to pay reparations to people/countries they imposed themselves upon or harmed in some way in the last 150 -200 years. It doesn't change the fact it was wrong and at some point the past is the past. Or maybe we should make reparations to the UK for rebelling. This is not paying for the sins of our fathers or Grandfathers or even Great Grandfathers.

If the government wants to help people that have been discriminated against or have a social disadvantage (currently, not 150yrs ago), then fine. Hell, I use a wheelchair but the ADA wasn't past till 1990. Does that mean the government owes me something for the hundreds of years disabled people were discriminated against. I don't think so. I'm just glad that as a country we have evolved and developed more social consciousness. Making reparations for something we fought a war to stop 150yrs ago doesn't make sense.

I realize this bill deals with reparations for other things beside slavery, it's just the slavery part that I have a hard time seeing the point.
    Last edited by wes4dbt; Oct 1st, 2020 at 05:09 PM.