Thread: we almost got the source to VB6

Hyperactive Member

we almost got the source to VB6

man how close is this, a hacker posted the source to WindowsXP... man I wish when he was in there he got the source code to vb6. we were so close, darn!

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/wi...s%20legitimate.

Re: we almost got the source to VB6

I doubt this was the result of somebody hacking Microsoft. It's probably a leak from one the companies or countries that has access to the Windows source code. For all we know the VB6 source could be archived offline in a vault somewhere since they don't need quick access to it anymore.

PowerPoster

Almost? Sounds more like not even remotely close.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Swinger View Post
    I doubt this was the result of somebody hacking Microsoft. It's probably a leak from one the companies or countries that has access to the Windows source code. For all we know the VB6 source could be archived offline in a vault somewhere since they don't need quick access to it anymore.
    Microsoft was so obsessed with destroying pre-.NET VB I wouldn't be surprised if they did a 6-pass wipe then chucked every drive containing it into an active volcano.

Hyperactive Member

Discontinuing support for a still revolutionary programming language is criminal stupidity.

The Idiot

the source is somewhere. it would be very strange they wipe out the source just to be sure it will never get leaked.
    this "hacker" got his hands on xp and Im sure if there where other sources he would take them as well, so I assume it was just xp and nothing else.
    so, in my mind, we where never close to get vb6 source.

the only chance to ever improve vb6 is that someone knows someone in microsoft, and within try to make a deal so a team can work on vb6 (closed-source) and have it like an "upgrade" option for those that have vb6 license/MSDN subscriptions.

The only way we'll every get to see the VB6 source code by Microsoft is published from the Computer History Museum the way they published Adobe Photoshop 1.0.1 source code.

And I hope to live up to drink to that with my unborn grandchildren (they must surely be 21+ by then:-))

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

Getting the source might be half the battle. Getting the build tools and environment required together might be the other half. Then there's that third half of understanding the source well enough to make viable modifications. And the fourth half of agreeing what changes should be made.

All of that assumes the hacked up releases would run against the supported (and shipping in Windows) runtime. Extending the runtime is another can of worms.

And the fifth half is getting the source to all the standard OCX files that come with the core VB6 IDE, because, for me, the first thing I'd want to see is a 64-bit version of VB6.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I suppose we'd need the source to all the runtimes as well.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Getting the source might be half the battle. Getting the build tools and environment required together might be the other half. Then there's that third half of understanding the source well enough to make viable modifications. And the fourth half of agreeing what changes should be made.

All of that assumes the hacked up releases would run against the supported (and shipping in Windows) runtime. Extending the runtime is another can of worms.
    That also misses out the other halves - the legality of using it and any 3rd party code that may not be present / licensed in the source anyway.

The Idiot

I think the best would be to make a stripped down version of VB6, with as little runtimes possible, so a minumum and from there, carefully adding features one by one.

what I want is the feeling of IDE, the same syntax and language, but under the hood I dont care.
    if we use Cairo as the graphic engine Im fine with that, but that will also require that we make everything from scratch and only use the "bare" minimum of VB6 and its tools.

PowerPoster

Damn I had a brief flash of hope that maybe, just maybe, since msvbvm60 is part of the XP install, its source would be there, but sadly, nope.

Interestingly though, there's hundreds of VB6 projects, including lots of stuff for Wbem and DirectX, and thousands of VBScripts.

Attached is just a fraction of them...

Name:  vbprojs.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  180.9 KB
    Last edited by fafalone; Sep 28th, 2020 at 07:52 PM.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    Attached is just a fraction of them...
    The .vbp files are not enough.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Argus19 View Post
    The .vbp files are not enough.
    They're full projects with forms, classes, addins, property pages, etc... I just ran a search of *.vbp to show a list of project names.

The Idiot

that "part" could be a nice thing to have for "archive" purposes.
    anyone can zip all the projects and upload it? we could learn a bit or two?

Hyperactive Member

I just ran a search of *.vbp to show a list of project names.
    It is very interesting. How can I get or download it?

Fanatic Member

Just looking intot the sources & project, and some interesting code
    Like this one to listen the Event Viewer log of Windows
    Code:
    Dim objServices         As SWbemServices
    Dim WithEvents objSink  As SWbemSink
    Dim objEvents           As SWbemEventSource

Private Sub Command1_Click()
       Dim objEvent         As SWbemObject
       Command1.Enabled = False
       Command2.Enabled = True
       On Error Resume Next
       objServices.ExecNotificationQueryAsync objSink, "select * from __instancecreationevent where targetinstance isa 'Win32_NTLogEvent'"

End Sub

Private Sub Command2_Click()
       Command2.Enabled = False
       Command1.Enabled = True
       objSink.Cancel
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
       ' The following sample registers to be informed whenever an instance
       ' of the class MyClass is created
       Command1.Enabled = False
       Command2.Enabled = False
       Set objSink = New SWbemSink
       Set objServices = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate,(Security)}")
       Command1.Enabled = True

End Sub

Private Sub objSink_OnCompleted(ByVal iHResult As WbemScripting.WbemErrorEnum, ByVal objWbemErrorObject As WbemScripting.ISWbemObject, ByVal objWbemAsyncContext As WbemScripting.ISWbemNamedValueSet)
       Debug.Print "Cancelled"
    End Sub

Private Sub objSink_OnObjectReady(ByVal objWbemObject As WbemScripting.ISWbemObject, ByVal objWbemAsyncContext As WbemScripting.ISWbemNamedValueSet)
       Debug.Print "Got event"
       List.AddItem objWbemObject.TargetInstance.Message
       List.Refresh
    End Sub

Hyperactive Member

someone who can upload the windows torrent to google drive and put password and send pm.
    I've been searching for a long time but I haven't found anything from those famous files.
    Greetings

I don't think that should be done here, and I don't believe this is a valid conversation. This isn't a hacking site, nor does it condone hacking. While I understand the frustration people have with not being able to see the source code for VB6, this was clearly an unethical, and potentially illegal, act.

Furthermore, a bit of digging suggests that there is a fair amount of malware getting attached to this stuff (as if XP wasn't vulnerable enough), so anybody touching this should be wearing gloves.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Hyperactive Member

Interestingly though, there's hundreds of VB6 projects, including lots of stuff for Wbem and DirectX, and thousands of VBScripts.
    Copied VB Projects into one folder:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D57...ew?usp=sharing