Thread: vb6.exe crashes with VC++ runtime error R6025 'pure virtual function call'

Lively Member

vb6.exe crashes with VC++ runtime error R6025 'pure virtual function call'

My VB6 IDE started to crash frequently when I launch my projects. It throwing the error message from Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library reporting the runtime error R6025 'pure virtual function call':

Name:  2020-09-22_09h32_18.png
Views: 565
Size:  10.4 KB

What it could be and how to cure it?

Re: vb6.exe crashes with VC++ runtime error R6025 'pure virtual function call'

Personally, on this one, I'd have to say it's some third-party custom control you have in the project. On the VB6 IDE menu, those are found under Project --> Components. And then, you have to scroll through the list to see what you're using.

Another other option I can think of is some custom User Control (UC) that you've written that's part of your project. However, for this to be it, you'd have to have a CTL module in your project, and it'd have to be calling into some C++ library that's causing the error.

I suppose a third option I can think of is some Add-In that's misbehaving. Those are found under Add-Ins --> Add-In Manager. You really don't need any of those to actually load your project, so maybe that's a good place to start looking for the problem.

----

Other than those three ways, I can't think of another way that the VB6 IDE is going to execute foreign code just upon loading your project. Hmmm, I guess a fourth way is if your VB6.EXE program has a virus attached to it.

Well, maybe those things will give you some ideas for running it down.

Good Luck,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Lively Member

Re: vb6.exe crashes with VC++ runtime error R6025 'pure virtual function call'

Yes, it is a project with a UserControl, but this tells me nothing about possible ways to solve the problem. And note that this project has worked without any VC++ runtime error for years.

Well, it seems, I solved my problem myself. I just installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) from the official download page:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down...s.aspx?id=5555

VB6 has worked well the whole day today after installing it. Perhaps, the installation package fixed something in the registry or something like that, and this helped to 'fix' VB6 IDE.

If I face the same problem again, I'll update this topic.