This site has been around for a long time, but searches turn up very little on the VB6 Data Object Wizard. This has been around since 1998 of course, but it seems to hardly be used by anyone.

I remember it from classes taken in the early 2000s, but I have long ago sold of most of the books from those classes. My memory is hazy and I may never have tried it myself outside of VB6 training.

Data Object Wizard

Assists you in generating code to create custom data sources and User Controls to display and manipulate data through stored procedures.

Note You must first create a Data Environment with commands to retrieve and manipulate data before you can use the Data Object Wizard. The Data Object Wizard uses commands within the Data Environment to retrieve and update your data. The types of commands you create are:

• A required command, the Select Command
  • Optional commands such as the Insert, Update, or Delete commands.

Use this add-in when you want to:

• Create updatable recordsets from stored procedures.
  • Create User controls to display and manipulate data.
  • Generate Visual Basic code that reflects relationships between data.
  • Create user controls that display and allow you to interact with lookup relationships.
  • Have meaningful text descriptions instead of cryptic lookup values.
  • Have meaningful text for NULL values

If you are curious your best bet might be to go into the MSDN Help CHM and do a Search on:

"Data Object Wizard"

Be sure to use the quotation marks.

There is very little additional information available today. The October 2001 MSDN Help has far more than you are likely to find on the Web at this late date.

I did find this:

VB6 developers can use the Microsoft Data Object Wizard to quickly generate classes and user controls that can be bound to ADO data sources. The code that this wizard generates, however, relies on several ADO interfaces that have no .NET counterpart and that are nearly impossible to duplicate in VB.NET.

For this reason, VB Migration Partner doesn’t support classes and user controls created by means of the Microsoft Data Object Wizard.
You either take that as a reason to avoid the DOW or a point of pride in favor of its use.