Thread: DAO MDB database SQL error "Too many fields"

DAO MDB database SQL error "Too many fields"

This code used to work on my older MDB files, but with the more recent MDB files, it no longer works and now I get a "Too many fields" error. Thing is, looking at my code I don't see where I've added any new fields in this tables.

And here is the code I'm using:

SQLQ$ = "SELECT Element.*, Count.*, Sample.Kilovolts, Sample.Numbers, Sample.Sets, "
    'SQLQ$ = "SELECT Element.*, Count.CountToRow, Count.LineOrder, Count.ElementOrder, Sample.Kilovolts, Sample.Numbers, Sample.Sets, "

SQLQ$ = SQLQ$ & "Sample.BeamSpotScanMode, "

SQLQ$ = SQLQ$ & "Sample.BeamCurrents, Sample.BeamSizes, Line.*, Sample.RowOrder "
    'SQLQ$ = SQLQ$ & "Sample.BeamCurrents, Sample.BeamSizes, Line.LineToRow, Line.LineOrder, Sample.RowOrder "

SQLQ$ = SQLQ$ & "FROM Count Right JOIN (Element RIGHT JOIN (Line RIGHT JOIN Sample "
    SQLQ$ = SQLQ$ & "ON Line.LineToRow = Sample.RowOrder) ON Element.ElementToRow = Sample.RowOrder) "
    SQLQ$ = SQLQ$ & "ON Count.CountToRow = Sample.RowOrder WHERE ("

If FormMAIN.CheckElementXray.Value = vbChecked Then
    SQLQ$ = SQLQ$ & "Element.Symbol = '" & Trim$(DriftTmpSample(1).Elsyms$(1)) & "' AND "
    SQLQ$ = SQLQ$ & "Element.Xray = '" & Trim$(DriftTmpSample(1).Xrsyms$(1)) & "' AND "
    End If

If FormMAIN.CheckMotorCrystal.Value = vbChecked Then
    SQLQ$ = SQLQ$ & "Element.Motor = " & Str$(DriftTmpSample(1).MotorNumbers%(1)) & " AND "
    SQLQ$ = SQLQ$ & "Element.Crystal = '" & Trim$(DriftTmpSample(1).CrystalNames$(1)) & "' AND "
    End If

If FormMAIN.CheckKeVStandard.Value = vbChecked Then
    SQLQ$ = SQLQ$ & "Sample.KiloVolts = " & Str$(DriftTmpSample(1).kilovolts!) & " AND "
    SQLQ$ = SQLQ$ & "Sample.Numbers = " & Str$(DriftTmpSample(1).number%) & " AND "
    End If

SQLQ$ = SQLQ$ & "Sample.Types = " & Str$(DriftTmpSample(1).Type%) & " AND "
    SQLQ$ = SQLQ$ & "Element.DisableAcqFlag = 0" & " AND "
    SQLQ$ = SQLQ$ & "Line.LineOrder = Count.LineOrder" & " AND "
    SQLQ$ = SQLQ$ & "Element.ElementOrder = Count.ElementOrder" & ")"

Set PrDs = PrDb.OpenRecordset(SQLQ$, dbOpenDynaset)

You will notice in the commented out lines that I tried to narrow down the number of fields by replacing the Count.* and Line.* text with the explicit fields. But that didn't help and instead I now get an "Item not found in this collection" error if I use them. But I am using the correct field names, so not sure what that is about.

Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?
    Last edited by John Donovan; Sep 20th, 2020 at 12:48 AM.

Addicted Member Wolfgang Enzinger's Avatar

Re: DAO MDB database SQL error "Too many fields"

Quote Originally Posted by John Donovan View Post
    This code used to work on my older MDB files, but with the more recent MDB files, it no longer works and now I get a "Too many fields" error.
    Died you try compacting/repairing the database?

Wolfgang

When you get that error, debug.print the SQLQ variable and post is contents. Sometimes wth ADO/DAO, the displayed error doesn't mean exactly what it says, but rather can be due to a SQL string with a typo.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Fanatic Member

I know there is a limit for the number of returned fields.
    I had the same too (ADO)
    Reduce the number of fields instead of using the *

PowerPoster

"Too Many Fields Defined" error when you save a table in Access is worth reading too.

The internal column count that Microsoft Access uses to track the number of fields in the table has reached 255, even though you may have fewer than 255 fields in the table. This can happen because Access does not change the internal column count when you delete a field. Access also creates a new field (increasing the internal column count by 1) for every field whose properties you modify.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Enzinger View Post
    Died you try compacting/repairing the database?

Wolfgang
    It's not a problem with just one database, it's a problem with all the newer databases.

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    When you get that error, debug.print the SQLQ variable and post is contents. Sometimes wth ADO/DAO, the displayed error doesn't mean exactly what it says, but rather can be due to a SQL string with a typo.
    Good idea. OK, so here is the SQL string when I get the error:

Too many fields defined. (SQLQ string=SELECT Element.*, Count.*, Sample.Kilovolts, Sample.Numbers, Sample.Sets, Sample.BeamSpotScanMode, Sample.BeamCurrents, Sample.BeamSizes, Line.*, Sample.RowOrder FROM Count Right JOIN (Element RIGHT JOIN (Line RIGHT JOIN Sample ON Line.LineToRow = Sample.RowOrder) ON Element.ElementToRow = Sample.RowOrder) ON Count.CountToRow = Sample.RowOrder WHERE (Element.Symbol = 'si' AND Element.Xray = 'ka' AND Sample.Types = 1 AND Element.DisableAcqFlag = 0 AND Line.LineOrder = Count.LineOrder AND Element.ElementOrder = Count.ElementOrder))

The thing is, I don't think it's a typo because it works fine on all my older MDB files. It's just the more recent MDB files that I'm getting this error. And I don't see that I've added any new fields to these tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Thierry69 View Post
    I had the same too (ADO)
    Wait. You mean using the wildcard character in the SQL string will *reduce* the number of fields???? I would have thought it would make them all get loaded!

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    OK, good to know. So what can I do to avoid this error?

I had the same too (ADO)
    So I modified the first line to include Sample.* and get the same error:

Too many fields defined. (SQLQ string=SELECT Element.*, Count.*, Sample.*, Sample.BeamCurrents, Sample.BeamSizes, Line.*, Sample.RowOrder FROM Count Right JOIN (Element RIGHT JOIN (Line RIGHT JOIN Sample ON Line.LineToRow = Sample.RowOrder) ON Element.ElementToRow = Sample.RowOrder) ON Count.CountToRow = Sample.RowOrder WHERE (Element.Symbol = 'si' AND Element.Xray = 'ka' AND Sample.Types = 1 AND Element.DisableAcqFlag = 0 AND Line.LineOrder = Count.LineOrder AND Element.ElementOrder = Count.ElementOrder))

I also changed it to Line.* and still get the same error:

Too many fields defined. (SQLQ string=SELECT Element.*, Count.*, Sample.*, Line.* FROM Count Right JOIN (Element RIGHT JOIN (Line RIGHT JOIN Sample ON Line.LineToRow = Sample.RowOrder) ON Element.ElementToRow = Sample.RowOrder) ON Count.CountToRow = Sample.RowOrder WHERE (Element.Symbol = 'si' AND Element.Xray = 'ka' AND Sample.Types = 1 AND Element.DisableAcqFlag = 0 AND Line.LineOrder = Count.LineOrder AND Element.ElementOrder = Count.ElementOrder))

OK, so I tried to explicitly specify more of the fields, but now I'm getting a "Item not found" error. But I don't see what field is missing... I'm sure I'm looking right at it, but I'm not seeing it.

Item not found in this collection. (SQLQ string=SELECT Element.*, Count.CountToRow, Count.LineOrder, Count.ElementOrder, Sample.Kilovolts, Sample.Numbers, Sample.Sets, Sample.Types, Sample.BeamSpotScanMode, Sample.BeamCurrents, Sample.BeamSizes, Line.LineToRow, Line.LineOrder, Sample.RowOrder FROM Count Right JOIN (Element RIGHT JOIN (Line RIGHT JOIN Sample ON Line.LineToRow = Sample.RowOrder) ON Element.ElementToRow = Sample.RowOrder) ON Count.CountToRow = Sample.RowOrder WHERE (Element.Symbol = 'si' AND Element.Xray = 'ka' AND Sample.Types = 1 AND Element.DisableAcqFlag = 0 AND Line.LineOrder = Count.LineOrder AND Element.ElementOrder = Count.ElementOrder))

Fanatic Member

I agree with Wolfgang.

I'd first try compacting and repairing.
    If it still Errors, I would cut the number of fields in half in the SQL and go from there.
    If works, add another quarter back, and keep adding until errors.

Also noticed this: Element.*
    I've never tried using a wildcard on a field so not sure if this is valid.
    I believe the suggestion was to try SELECT *, with no other fields listed.

HTH

Fanatic Member

Try like
    SELECT Element.Field1, Element.Field2, Count.Field1, Count.Field2 , Sample.Kilovolts, Sample.Numbers, Sample.Sets, "
    etc...
    Avoiding *

Quote Originally Posted by vb6forever View Post
    I agree with Wolfgang.

I'd first try compacting and repairing.
    If it still Errors, I would cut the number of fields in half in the SQL and go from there.
    If works, add another quarter back, and keep adding until errors.

Also noticed this: Element.*
    I've never tried using a wildcard on a field so not sure if this is valid.
    I believe the suggestion was to try SELECT *, with no other fields listed.

HTH
    I understand, but Element.* works on all the older MDB files, just not with the more recent ones.

Try like
    SELECT Element.Field1, Element.Field2, Count.Field1, Count.Field2 , Sample.Kilovolts, Sample.Numbers, Sample.Sets, "
    etc...
    Avoiding *
    Thanks, I will try this next.

I want to thank everyone that replied to my questions. I finally figured it out. Reducing some of the Table.* entires to specific fields, fixed the "Too many fields" error, the "Item not found error was from code later on that was depending on the Table.* code.

So that brings me to a question I've always wanted answered: once an error occurs and is trapped, and one is ready to step through the code, is there any way to step *backwards* to see exactly what line caused the error?