Thread: Visual Basic and Databases

Visual Basic and Databases

Hello sorry for this question but I am starting back into SQL databases with the book visual basic and databases professional edition for the 2012 version of visual studio. I know this is a question I should already understand but one instance in the book wants me to create a directory for the said files to be used from. I am not sure if I should create a new directory or simply a file for them. I always make this mistake when faced with this issue I know how to do both but did not know which one was to be used.

Sinecure devotee

Re: Visual Basic and Databases

Quote Originally Posted by Trojans72 View Post
    ... I am not sure if I should create a new directory or simply a file for them. ...
    I don't know what creating "a file" for the files means.
    I assume you may have multiple examples throughout the book, and each example should be created in a separate folder for organization.

If these files are going to be shared between multiple examples, or exercises, then again, I assume they are saying to create a folder, and place the file in that folder.
    Then, later in the various examples or exercises when you need to access those files, they are available to any project, independent of the project you're working on.

Bottom line, it sounds like they want you to create a folder, and place the files in that folder, so they are easy to use as a related group of files in one location.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

the book wants me to create a directory
    I am not sure if I should create a new directory
    You should do what the book wants you to do.

Thanks sorry I should have put what the book said to do "Make a copy of the database and place it in a working directory (you decide on a name we will use VBDB\WORKING)." I think I will go with the directory since that seems like the best idea.

Is it suggesting that that folder be created under your project or elsewhere? If it's a folder for multiple databases for multiple projects then I'd suggest creating the same folder structure they suggest under your Documents folder. If it's under your Documents then it can't get lost or interfere with something else and if you use the same names as the book then there can be no confusion later. You can also easily get the path in code, e.g. if you put a file named MyDatabase.mdb in that folder then the path would be:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Dim dataFilePath = IO.Path.Combine(My.Computer.FileSystem.SpecialDirectories.MyDocuments, "VBDB\WORKING\MyDatabase.mdb")